Reliable / Concealable 45 ACP 1911 Style

This is a discussion on Reliable / Concealable 45 ACP 1911 Style within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to purchase a reliable, concealable 1911 style 45 ACP for EDC. Most of time I wear blue jeans with an untucked t-shirt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Reliable / Concealable 45 ACP 1911 Style

Reliable / Concealable 45 ACP 1911 Style

I am looking to purchase a reliable, concealable 1911 style 45 ACP for EDC. Most of time I wear blue jeans with an untucked t-shirt or a sweater in cooler weather. As everyone has to sometimes, dress pants and tucked shirts will be required. I plan to carry using an IWB holster. So all things considered (reliability, concealable, mag capacity, cost) what weapon and holster would you recomend. BTW this is my first post on this Great Forum. I have definately learned a lot reading the various post over the last couple weeks. I have had a CCP in Indiana for probably 15 years and have decided to exercise my right to carry.
    Thanks for Your Help
    Dominator012

2. Remove Ads

First, welcome to the forum, glad you joined.

Prices vary quite a bit for 1911s, so that could dictate your range of choices. My preference is for the CCO sized guns (I carry a LW Colt); that is pistols with Officer-sized frame and Commander-length barrel. To me, this is an ideal size to combine reliability/size/concealability. You might find a CCO used, but mfgs like Colt (Talo and Gunsite editions), DW, STI and Baer have models in the 1 to 1.6k price range and all are quality products. Have fun deciding and shopping!
    rigel42 likes this.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

You don't mention a budget, but these are my general observations from carrying a variety of 1911 variants in several IWB holsters for a while now.

As for holsters, my personal favorite after trying a lot of different IWB's is the Milt Sparks VMII. There are also a lot of other makers doing this style holster, and I have a few (the Galco V Hawk for a Commander is excellent and what I carry my Wilson in, and I have a Garrity for my Browning Hi Power that I like a lot too). I have Sparks holsters for my Ed Brown Kobra Carry and Colt Officers. I find this style holster to be the most comfortable and to stay in place during strenuous activity including 40 mile bicycle rides and such.

As for what is concealable and comfortable for you, I can't answer that. For me, a Commander size pistol is very comfortable which is what I carry often. I also carry a Colt Officers model which is more concealable.

The best combination for me which a lot of makers are building is a 4" or 4.25" barrel with an Officers model size grip. These are often called a CCO.
    NRA Life Member

I don't have much experience with it yet, but after a lot of research I recently picked up a Kimber Ultra Carry II and love it. Conceals very easy, comfortable to carry, and a tack driver.

You might better more comprehensive comments and recommendations if you post your question about 1911type pistols over on the 1911 Forum...... Not saying this forum is inappropriate, but you will probably reach a larger audience that is very well informed about 1911 handguns in general. 1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin

VIP Member
    Price will vary greatly, ranging anywhere from around $600 to $1500+. On the low end your probably looking at RIA, Higher end, without going full custom Dan Wesson. Mid range Kimber or Springfield Armory. In the mid range I'd recommend SA Loaded Champion. Full size frame, 4" barrel. On the upper end, I'd look at the Dan Wesson Guardian. 4.25" barrel on a bobtail frame. You might also consider a full size 1911, 1" longer barrel will not make a difference in the ability conceal.

As to holster, it will depend on what feels right to you. I'd suggest looking at the Galco line of holsters. Also, make sure your belt is designed to carry the weight of a 1911. You need a good quality gun belt to support the gun. Basically forget about using a off the shelf style dress belt.

BTW - Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by archer51; October 1st, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!!! I carry 1911s. I like to shoot my "commander" size best (4" bbl and full size grip) and that is what I carry most of the time, but I do find that the full-size grip tends to print more. For that reason, when I am truly concerned about not printing, I carry my Kimber Ultra Raptor. This is Kimber's answer to Colts "Officer" model. With your "Officer's" size, you can get 7 round mags that fit flush, so even in those small packages, you get 7+1. Obviously, with your "Commander" sized model (Kimber calls these the "Pro") you get increased grip length, so you get a Mag capacity of 8+1.

As previously mentioned, there are companies out there that produce a "Commander" sized barrel (4") with an officer's grip, (Shorter). These might be great--I'm kinda afraid to even try one, as I than might decide I need another 1911 .

There are lots of holsters out there that produce IWB holsters that will work great with a 1911. For some, they prefer the hybrid holders like Crossbreed that blend Kydex plastic and leather backing. Some of us prefer all leather holster like the milt sparks or the desbiens gun leather and they are great holsters.

Hope this helps!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Reliability says nothing shorter than 4" slide for me, but barrel length is easier to conceal than grip. I agree with Yetiman that CCO style 1911 variants are tough to beat. Holsters are, IMHO, even MORE subjective than handguns. That's why most longtime pistol carriers have a big ol' BOX full of tries. I like Milt Sparks, Galco & Remora. Good luck!
    OD* likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

i carry a colt defender in a remora holster. alloy frame, 3 inch barrel, 7+1 with slim grips from vz. easy to conceal and light as far as 1911's go. and as far as 3 inch 1911's go, many people trust the colts.

Please consider a Kahr P45. It is slimmer and lighter than a 1911 and has a 3.54 inch long barrel, is only 1" wide, 6.3" overall, and 4.8" tall. It uses a 6rnd magazine.

Q: I would like information on blue.
    A: Please consider pink.

Kahr's are double action only, I have a feeling the original poster is asking about 1911's specifically for a reason. I've had 3 Kahr's, nice guns, great trigger for a double action, but there are much better alternatives now, in my opinion (Shield, XD-S).

Thanks for that... I was trying to be helpful and mention something that might have not been considered. Your remark comes across as smarmy and disrespectful.

Kahr P45. Same grip angle as the 1911, can actually use 6rnd 1911 magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    Your remark comes across as smarmy and disrespectful. ...can actually use 6rnd 1911 magazines.
    "Smarmy" means smug & insincere. I think he was being completely sincere. And 6 round 1911 mags can NOT be used in a Kahr P45 without modification.
    Thunder71 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I've got a Para LDA 45 that's been nothing but great and I like the factory trigger with the DA enough that I'm leaving it stock
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Have you perused my plastic vs 1911 thread... Ya might want to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links