Plastic fantastic vs the 1911...yep I'm going there.

This is a discussion on Plastic fantastic vs the 1911...yep I'm going there. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like all guns... Carry. by N0YZE Photo , on Flickr...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Plastic fantastic vs the 1911...yep I'm going there.

I like all guns...

Carry. by N0YZE Photo, on Flickr

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I used to think Glocks were ugly as all get out...but now, I have the face when I look at a Glock 19 as I do when I get out of my CISCO class right after the nursing class next door is over and I'm walking down the hallway

I'm like Thunder71 though, I don't discriminate as long as it goes boom! (Hey I still have standards though)
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Jester....you can't prove the jamb less notion to me. My Colt has never jammed and I've had it about 25 years. Let me say it again; never. The Para, no jams in 2 years. The long gone Kahr jammed on day one. The Shield, and I love it, jammed once but that was ammo. My point is, you can't peanut butter that opinion and call it right. At my house, you're wrong. Moving parts? OK, you win.
    legitimately kahrs had quite a showing on my lemon list as well... Funny though if inherent reliability of any platform is questioned the ones you hear from are the ones that have never had an issue and wish to defend the platform. You have a 25+ year old colt... It was probably built with a bit more attention to detail compared to today's mass produced versions of various makes... Interstingly enough even colt is putting plastic parts in their 1911's these days. My point is not that there is no such thing as a reliable 1911, my point is if you don't own one currently and your ready to invest a decent chunk of money to have a completely reliable 1911 annnd you expect it to perform out of the box without issue.... By a glock or an m&p first. That way if you are unlucky in 1911's like some are well your cheaper polymer gun will work well for you while you get the 1911 debugged.

Well where does the polymer 1911 fit in then? You realize you can have plastic, and a 1911 in one package - right? ;)
    2012 SHOT Show Special: Rock River Arms Polymer 1911

I have an M&P, I have 1911's (Kimber, Rock Island, Para, Citadel), and I have a revolver. They all serve a purpose. Why do I chose the 1911 as my most often carried gun? Simple, I want to. I like all guns (ok, except High Points) and have no issue with any of them. Carry what you like, the rest is just crap for people to talk about in chat forums.

All of the 1911's I currently own go bang when you pull the trigger, so do all my plastic guns and my revolver. So for me the only difference is capacity and weight. 7+1 or 8+1 in my 1911 is still more than my revolver, and the 12+1 in my M&P compact doesn't seem all that more substantial than the others.

Will I regret my choices some day? Maybe. But I believe I am well prepared for that "oh no" situation.

I like the wise words of the original Obi-Wan Kenobi from Return of the Jedi, he said "you are going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view". I agree.
    Doodle and multistage like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Well where does the polymer 1911 fit in then? You realize you can have plastic, and a 1911 in one package - right? ;)
    2012 SHOT Show Special: Rock River Arms Polymer 1911
    looks cool but I would personally pass.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I have an M&P, I have 1911's (Kimber, Rock Island, Para, Citadel), and I have a revolver. They all serve a purpose. Why do I chose the 1911 as my most often carried gun? Simple, I want to. I like all guns (ok, except High Points) and have no issue with any of them. Carry what you like, the rest is just crap for people to talk about in chat forums.

All of the 1911's I currently own go bang when you pull the trigger, so do all my plastic guns and my revolver. So for me the only difference is capacity and weight. 7+1 or 8+1 in my 1911 is still more than my revolver, and the 12+1 in my M&P compact doesn't seem all that more substantial than the others.

Will I regret my choices some day? Maybe. But I believe I am well prepared for that "oh no" situation.

I like the wise words of the original Obi-Wan Kenobi from Return of the Jedi, he said "you are going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view". I agree.
    nice quote... I like it... Is your avatar your dog by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    nice quote... I like it... Is your avatar your dog by the way?
    No, but I breed shepherds so I thought it fitting.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    This is entirely too civil. I'm surprised. Nice
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Doodle, you are such a troublemaker!

For those who think a Glock is ugly, look down its business end. That's ugly!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Another snippit I'll add is a video by Clint Smith on youtube about CCW. He says "I don't ask myself whether or not I'd carry this or that gun, I ask myself, if I was going to carry that gun what's the best way to fight with it. Or if I was going to carry that gun what is the best way to fight with it.". (ok, that's paraphrased, but pretty close).

1911 too unreliable, glock all the way, xd second
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    ... But I STILL THINK they're as ugly as fat ankles.
    They're called 'cankles' - where the calf extends all the way to the foot with no discernable transition from calf to ankle.

I think Glock's are ugly... but I'd rather have a Glock in my hand than a cankle ;)
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    Another snippit I'll add is a video by Clint Smith on youtube about CCW. He says "I don't ask myself whether or not I'd carry this or that gun, I ask myself, if I was going to carry that gun what's the best way to fight with it. Or if I was going to carry that gun what is the best way to fight with it.". (ok, that's paraphrased, but pretty close).
    another cool quote err paraphrase.

VIP Member
    For me it is 1911s or classic revolvers, I have tried the plastic guns and just do not like how they feel in the hand and have never seen the need for a gun holding a half of a box of ammo. I do agree a 1911 is not for the novice as it takes time and practice to master. I could not afford to buy my first 1911 outright so I did like the Johnny Cash song; I built it “One Piece at a time”, that taught my a lot about 1911s and I still have it.

My first 1911 built from parts as I could afford them. IMG_0581.JPG
    smolck and bmcgilvray like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links