Plastic fantastic vs the 1911...yep I'm going there. - Page 4

Plastic fantastic vs the 1911...yep I'm going there.

This is a discussion on Plastic fantastic vs the 1911...yep I'm going there. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess I'm unique as I see distinct roles for each pistol and get a little angry every time someone starts one of these threads ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Plastic fantastic vs the 1911...yep I'm going there.

VIP Member
    I guess I'm unique as I see distinct roles for each pistol and get a little angry every time someone starts one of these threads to proclaim that their choice is the correct one and the people on the other side are wrong... and people on both sides do it.

I personally carry both professionally. When on duty have a Glock on my hip (compact at that, I prefer the 19/23 size to the 17/22). There are several reasons why that's my choice but chief among them is capacity. When I may be alone and knowingly going into harm's way I like knowing that I have 13+1 in the gun and 2 17 rounders in reserve on my person. But when I'm wearing the black uniform I have a STI 1911 on my thigh. This is the case for a couple of reasons, but primarily because I can get quality shots on target faster with a 1911 than I can with anything else. Since using the pistol likely means that things have gone bad and then my long gun stopped working, every fraction of a second is important.

When I'm not working I usually carry the Glock. However, that's a very recent change. Until about 2 months ago the 1911 was the off duty gun. I changed simply because I wanted to try a new holster and fell in love with it. I don't have one for the 1911 and don't know if I will get one. I found a way to make the Glock 23 carry the way I want a concealed firearm to carry so I'm happy. But if I should happen to find myself someplace with an active shooter where a very accurate long shot is required I'll regret the decision. I can shoot the Glock very well, but it is still second to the 1911.

As far as reliability, I have several guns and only have one that has ever had a problem. It is a S&W model 66. I get light strikes with the danged thing from time to time leading to a click rather than a boom.
    QKShooter and smolck like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Hmmm...A new mainspring might be in order for that Smith & Wesson Model 66. That or else check to see if the mainspring strain screw has been backed out or shortened; both being a not-so-clever trick used in an effort to make the action feel lighter.
    OD*, msgt/ret and Bad Bob like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Hmmm...A new mainspring might be in order for that Smith & Wesson Model 66. That or else check to see if the mainspring strain screw has been backed out or shortened; both being a not-so-clever trick used in an effort to make the action feel lighter.
    I will second the mainspring screw, I have run into a couple where tightening the screw eliminated the light strikes. Anyone wanting to lighten the trigger pull on a S&W revolver should get the recoil slide spring kit from Wolff, by changing that spring you will get a very nice trigger pull without affecting the reliability.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I carry a 1911 everyday a Colt Stainless Steel Combat Commander XSE,I carry 2 spare mags and I can hit what I shoot at,the 1911 isn't for everyone since most people don't shoot or practice with their carry gun every week,drawing swiping safety off shooting,re-engage safety re-holster,repeat.
    A lot of shooters don't want any safety on a gun they may forget to take off in a Stressful SD situation and that mistake could get them killed,by the same token my wife likes the M&P 45c,
    Also not all 1911's only hold 8 rounds,some are double stacks and can carry as many rounds as compact polymer guns,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    For me it is 1911s or classic revolvers, I have tried the plastic guns and just do not like how they feel in the hand and have never seen the need for a gun holding a half of a box of ammo. I do agree a 1911 is not for the novice as it takes time and practice to master. I could not afford to buy my first 1911 outright so I did like the Johnny Cash song; I built it “One Piece at a time”, that taught my a lot about 1911s and I still have it.

My first 1911 built from parts as I could afford them. Attachment 63206
    You must be a relative of Dr Frankenstein
    msgt/ret likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    Hey Doodle, you should take a walk on the wild side. it seems like a lot of the 1911 guys responding to your OP will openly admit to shooting polymer as well. Maybe you should cross over for awhile and see what you think. Get you a 1911 in the originally intended caliber and take it for a spin. You might scare yourself and find that you like it. The personal shame of appreciating the platform would pass quickly I believe.
    smolck likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Hey Doodle, you should take a walk on the wild side. it seems like a lot of the 1911 guys responding to your OP will openly admit to shooting polymer as well. Maybe you should cross over for awhile and see what you think. Get you a 1911 in the originally intended caliber and take it for a spin. You might scare yourself and find that you like it. The personal shame of appreciating the platform would pass quickly I believe.
    Oh I've had a couple... I shoot them well, but I've had my share of issues leading to me swearing them off.

If I only had a $700 budget then I'd only look at plastic guns. If I really wanted a 1911, then I'd save for a little while longer and get something top end.

Lead Moderator
    I shoot both polymer and a version of a 1911. Depending on what I am doing, ect dictates which gun I choose. I carry similar guns with a 1911 style safety for familiarity. As long as I can hit what I am shooting at I consider my choice acceptable. Why really worry about what others carry?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    It needs a new mainspring, no doubt about it. The gun was my mom's duty gun back in her police days. My stepdad thought he was quite the gunsmith and did exactly as you suggest. If the gun were anything more than a safe queen that manages to head to the range once a year or so I'd work on making it right. As it is, I'm not too concerned. Thanks for the post though, good chance that may help someone that comes across one of these second hand one day.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    Gosh, thanks guys. I was all stoked up to buy a Kimber. Now, it seems like a 1960-70s muscle car. Big and heavy. Brutal power. Indisputable good, classic, timeless, looks. You have to work on all of them from time to time, but driving them is like nothing else. Not a single car made in the last 30 years will be as sought after as the Muscle Cars were. Ever watch Barrett-Jackson? The newer "muscle cars" have lots of plastic, great performance, and decent looks. But they will never be classics. Not to say they don't have following, they do. Heck, I have a 2010 Challenger. But it ain't as much fun as my '68 Charger R/T was in it's day. See my point? I still want that Kimber 1911. But I also like my SR9c. Hope this wasn't too much of a reach to make a point.
    lol I was going to post something along these exact lines. Ironically enough I've been looking into a Kimber too. I own a 2012 challenger R/T and I carry a sr40c. Crazy similarities.
    oldnfat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by romansten9 View Post
    you make some good points. You said the 1911 is not a beginner's pistol. I hear what you're saying because it has the issues you mentioned, plus its more difficult to take apart and more touchy/finicky in its operation. But when you say its not for beginners, keep in mind that the 1911 was issued to a WHOLE LOT of beginners in the form of young, inexperienced U.S. Military soldiers. Of course, they were able to catch on and able to operate this pistol quite well, even though they were beginners. I guess you could say that everyone is a beginner when they pick up any firearm for the first time. Nobody was born with experience, and every firearm has its unique attributes, so you can't transfer all knowledge from one to the next. Yes, it helps to have a background in shooting, but we all have a lot to learn, and anyone that claims "expert" status better be willing to humble themselves and be willing to learn more!
    The U.S Army issued a LOT of 1911A1 pistols in a time when; a LOT more green recruits had already handled multiple firearms (in rural settings) before they enlisted or were drafted, and there were SO fewer effective handgun options available. One of the reasons why GLOCK grew, in such short order, to dominate the LE pistol world was because they didn't rely so much on conscious handgun "technique". What once took thought & training now was provided more "automatically" in the pistol's design. Having taught a bunch of folks how to (safely) run a handgun, I would much, MUCH rather teach a pure rookie on a GLOCK or M&P (XD, et. al.) than I would a 1911 variant (or FN-HP). Much like it takes longer to become a capable helicopter pilot than a fixed-wing pilot. The skill set is simply more involved.
    highvoltage and msgt/ret like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have over a dozen pistols (CZ, Glock, Sig, Ruger, Colt) including one 1911 (Colt LW Commander). Some have had minor break-in issues when brand new, but none have had any failures since and most I've shot thousands of times. I have Glocks and Sigs with over 5,000 error-free rounds down range. I have had one stinker, a Kahr P380 that never ran right. I even gave it over 1,000 rounds, but still had at least one jam per box of ammo. Like most folks here, I like my pistols to be 100% reliable........, but I think it's Clint Smith that says that ANY gun can malfunction precisely at the wrong time and that we all have to know how to resolve the problem. One thing I have learned is to NEVER sell a reliable pistol. Many folks here have had unreliable handguns and nothing is more frustrating.......

The absolute definition of irony... I saw one of these today in person. Online photos of this finish can't do it justice... It is that beautiful and Molon Labe means come and take it. I am VERY seriously thinking about convincing the wife to let me spend $1200...flame away 1911 dudes.
    0008639_sig_sauer_1911_45_spartan.jpeg

Looks like this thread now completes its full-circle. Doodle has seen the light!. Bless you my son.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links