Plastic fantastic vs the 1911...yep I'm going there.

This is a discussion on Plastic fantastic vs the 1911...yep I'm going there. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One thing I like about carrying my steel 1911 vs my poly M&P is if I ever need to use the gun as a bludgeoning ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Plastic fantastic vs the 1911...yep I'm going there.

One thing I like about carrying my steel 1911 vs my poly M&P is if I ever need to use the gun as a bludgeoning device, the 1911 is much better suited for that task. I wouldn't want to get hit with either, but the weight of the 1911 would make it much easier to knock someone unconcious.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    The absolute definition of irony... I saw one of these today in person. Online photos of this finish can't do it justice... It is that beautiful and Molon Labe means come and take it. I am VERY seriously thinking about convincing the wife to let me spend $1200...flame away 1911 dudes.
    Attachment 63254
    Nothing to flame for IMHO. There is no written rule that states a "1911 guy" (what is that anyways?) can't buy polymer, revolvers, or a frigging French muzzleloading duel pistol if he so chooses and vice versa. We ALL need to realize we are "GUN people" and we best stay united cause the anti's are hammering away at us every day.

In regards to the Sig, two things I don't like about them. 1. External extractors (not what the 1911 was intended to have) 2. Dimensions are not normal 1911 dimensions so holsters can be tricky to find.
    zonker1986 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Given modern handguns 1911s are a compromise

I love the 1911 feels great in my hand, visually pleasing, the 45 is a hard hitting round, big bullets, many perks for many people. I can't shoot one worth a darn. I grab a glock, feels like a brick, square and ugly. The full size glock in 45 way too big for my hand. But the g19 or g17 size frames I can shoot the lights out.

I love everything about the 1911 but my skill level with one is sub par so for me I carry a glock. Again its ugly and square but I have carried one on duty and concealed and have had nothing to complain about as far as function.

For several years I was my departments range master running quarterly qualifications. We carried the glock 40 sw, I saw thousands of rounds go down range, big guys, little guys, women, and even some sissies who didn't even like to shoot, their glocks all functioned without fail.

So for me I carry a glock for those reasons, I won't discount the 1911 again Ive had several, I like them a lot and wish I could get the results I get with the glocks but its not in the cards so I will just carry my plastic gun and feel confident.
    zonker1986, skew12 and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly3458 View Post
    Given modern handguns 1911s are a compromise
    All handguns are a compromise. The question is just which compromises you wish to make. Some people make decisions that bring them to a plastic gun. Some make decisions that bring them to a 1911. Some end up with a DA/SA auto. It is a personal choice (unless you carry a gun for a living and are told what you'll carry). In the end we put way too much emphasis on what weapon we, or anyone else, carries.

In reality the Indian is much more important than the arrow.
    bmcgilvray, OD*, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    One thing I like about carrying my steel 1911 vs my poly M&P is if I ever need to use the gun as a bludgeoning device, the 1911 is much better suited for that task. I wouldn't want to get hit with either, but the weight of the 1911 would make it much easier to knock someone unconcious.

Nothing to flame for IMHO. There is no written rule that states a "1911 guy" (what is that anyways?) can't buy polymer, revolvers, or a frigging French muzzleloading duel pistol if he so chooses and vice versa. We ALL need to realize we are "GUN people" and we best stay united cause the anti's are hammering away at us every day.

In regards to the Sig, two things I don't like about them. 1. External extractors (not what the 1911 was intended to have) 2. Dimensions are not normal 1911 dimensions so holsters can be tricky to find.
    You need to see one of these in person... Strikingly beautiful finish. Thanks for taking the high road on the flaming... I was expecting a lot of laughter. (not necessarily from you but in general)

Quote Originally Posted by brettnchrism View Post
    I love the 1911 feels great in my hand, visually pleasing, the 45 is a hard hitting round, big bullets, many perks for many people. I can't shoot one worth a darn. I grab a glock, feels like a brick, square and ugly. The full size glock in 45 way too big for my hand. But the g19 or g17 size frames I can shoot the lights out.

I love everything about the 1911 but my skill level with one is sub par so for me I carry a glock. Again its ugly and square but I have carried one on duty and concealed and have had nothing to complain about as far as function.

For several years I was my departments range master running quarterly qualifications. We carried the glock 40 sw, I saw thousands of rounds go down range, big guys, little guys, women, and even some sissies who didn't even like to shoot, their glocks all functioned without fail.

So for me I carry a glock for those reasons, I won't discount the 1911 again Ive had several, I like them a lot and wish I could get the results I get with the glocks but its not in the cards so I will just carry my plastic gun and feel confident.
    you pretty much summarized my take on pistols as well. I used to shoot IDPA matches, and the guys and gals using Glocks ALWAYS finished the matches without incident.....the guys with the $3,0000 custom 1911's had a few hiccups along the way. I paid attention. Love 1911's....carry Glocks.
    brettnchrism likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

The 1911 trigger is what intrigues me......., but that dang manual safety sets me off. I mostly carry 45acp pistols and currently have 4, a Colt LW Commander without night sights, Glock30sf and (2) Sigs (P220R and P220 Gen 2). I'll admit that I hate the Glock 30 trigger. After shooting my Sigs and Colt it feels so rough and uncivilized. I've been carrying my Sigs now for over 2 years. To me, they offer the best compromise between a Glock and a 1911 in that there is the first heavy trigger pull (serves as a good safety for me) and then the following short 4.4lb single action (very similar to a 1911). Recently though I've been looking at an Ed Brown carry pistol.....Gad they make beautiful pistols! Thinking of trading my Glocks..... I should never have visited Ed's website.....

The thumb safety doesn't bother me a bit. I shot 1911 variants & Browning (FN) Hi-powers for so long that my thumb just naturally sweeps down the thumb safety, even if it...isn't THERE! I probably even "flick-down" my GLOCK, my M&P. and possibly my revolvers (if I ever watched my draw in slow-motion). It's simply pure habit & muscle memory.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I'll take the 1911 trigger over the current popular triggers that so many pistols wear. The safety is a non-issue.

I'm more intrigued by some of the DA/SA designs like SIGs and such. Don't have any but might sample one.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    or even a glock (even though they are ugly as sin)... .

No he didn't....

Nice post, thanks!

I sure cant agree with any arguement that the 1911 is any less reliable than any other handgun, so long as we narrow it down to the SA, Colt, or maybe Kimber. This just has not proven to be true in my testing and use.

However, I really do like the Glock for all reasons. It is boringly reliable, chambered for the powerful 10mm, and can digest high pressure loads with ease and no apparent sign of excessive wear and tear.

If the weather is bad, or if I am in rugged terrain, I will carry one without the worry of scratching , or damaging it.

The Colt could deal with the same conditions, but I think it would hurt my feelings if it got dinged up.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

All Stainless Steel 1911 preferably a Colt for me. I've tried a few others even have one now in blue and it just doesn't fit my need/want in a carry gun. IMHO plastic is for toys, like I said, just MY opinion, please don't flame me. BUT, I prefer a revolver for carry, due ti simplicity.

I admit I didn't read the whole thread, so I apologize if this idea has already been put forward. It's quite simple really. For me, there is no "1911 vs Glock." I own 1911s and I own Glocks. The only 1911 I have ever had any problems with was an old Norinco. Norinco 1911s make a great starting platform for customization, but left as is, it is (or at least was) pretty much the worst offender of any semi auto, and I certainly would never bet my life on one. I have never had any issues with any of my Glocks, buy hey, they're Glocks, so you expect perfect performance.

There is nothing wrong owning a 1911. I have several and love shooting them. In their heyday they were the gun to have. However, the times and technology have changed and their are better choices. I am not knocking carrying one but personally fell there are better choices. With the advancement in handguns, you can get a smaller, lighter firearm with equal or higher round capacity. Remember, you always want to have superior firepower.

WOW...someone prefers a glock over a 1911...What will I do???
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links