Double action non-polymer .380 pocket pistol - does this exist?

This is a discussion on Double action non-polymer .380 pocket pistol - does this exist? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One last tip - think about how you'd shoot in low-light conditions. Do you want night sights, or laser sight? It's often cheaper to buy ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Double action non-polymer .380 pocket pistol - does this exist?

One last tip - think about how you'd shoot in low-light conditions. Do you want night sights, or laser sight? It's often cheaper to buy the gun & sights as a package deal, rather than buying add-ons later. I believe the Sig can be purchased with either one, but I preferred the night sights. I added a laser grip to my revolver.
    What are night sights?

Pocket carry? Some swear by it, others swear at it. I am in the latter group. There are better carry methods but that is a subject unto itself for another thread. If you decide on pocket carry, be sure to use a pocket holster.
    Have you seen womens' jeans pockets? Even if I could get something to fit, there's no way it would be concealed. Pocket carry is not something I've even considered. I've been drooling over a Crossbreed Mini Tuck IWB....

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    The Walther PPK fits your spec for a DA/SA all steel .380. It weighs about 21 ounces empty and has a heavy DA trigger followed by a good SA trigger. Mine has been accurate and reliable, but it is a little heavy for pocket carry. I have carried it on a belt holster, where it conceals easily because of small size and thin profile. It has a thumb safety/decocker, but you really don't need to use the thumb safety to carry the gun, as the DA trigger pull protects you from accidents.

This was going to be my suggestion as well. DA/SA is a great safe way to go though as stated earlier, the gun is a bit heavy but that's what you get with a solid piece of non polymer. I own the SS version of this gun made by Interarms....much better IMO than the ones now made by S&W. This gun is too sexy not to try.

Good luck in your search.
    And you know I could have me a million more friends, and all I'd have to lose is my point of view. -- John Prine (A Good Time)

Wife carries a Kel Tec P3AT 380 with CT laser, or a Ruger LC9 in a Galco Belly Band.

The belly band is her answer to on body carry and good concealment.

She came to understand that purse carry was next to worthless for her.

Once you settle on the gun you will use to defend yourself with, then you have the journey of trial and error about how to carry.

What works for one person most-likely will not work for the next.

The journey to self protection is well worth it.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

How about a masterpiece arms MPA .380 all steel milled and a great gun. Exact same size as a seecamp but a third the price

Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post

Also, I forgot to mention, the Kahr P380 jammed up on me from the get-go.

Is FTF (look, I learned another acronym today!) more common in certain guns? I fired plenty of rounds through the Sig perfectly, but the Kahr jammed up enough that I had to go get a staff member (who seemed to shoot it with no problem, so I still have no idea what happened). Is this a quality issue? Is it just a matter of "breaking in" the gun? Or is it completely random/bad luck?
    I have a flawless Kahr PM40, yes it's not what i'd recommend, nor does it fit your requirements, but flawless Kahrs can be had. There's a great Kahr forum with a ton of guidance should you decide to go down that path. KahrTalk Forums - Powered by vBulletin But just as any man-made tool can fail Kahr pistols can fail too.
    Back to the subject, you could have been 'limp wristing' while the staff member was shooting with a proper grip. This can and does happen with some semiauto pistols. Basically the recoil from the round cycles the slide, if you allow the pistol to rock your hand back adsorbing too much of the recoil the pistol will not function properly. Your range time will be greatly enhanced by a little training.

Most of all have fun, be safe, and enjoy the sport.(the safety of being able to handle yourself if needed will be the bonus)

S&W 642 Airweight or the Ruger LCR, .38 Specials ...
    These are in the ~14-17oz range. Find a revolver in the ~25-35oz range, and I think you'll change your mind about revolvers.

Check the Ruger SP-101, S&W Model 10, S&W Model 686, S&W Model 60, or any of the other heavier/steel revolvers. As well, consider a 3" or larger barrel, as the added weight can help tame recoil in smaller revolvers along with the overall greater weight. And finally, realize there are some great recoil-sapping grips on the market. You needn't stick with the harder-on-the-hands type of grip that typically comes with the revolver.

Check the following threads:

As for smaller, pocket-sized semi-autos, by far the least-recoiling and easiest on the hands that I've found is the Kahr PM9 (or CM9) and the Kahr P380. If you can find a reliable one, there's nothing else like them on the market. Best of their kind, IMO. Frankly, I've found it easier on the hands, by a great margin, for me to shoot the PM9 9mm as compared to an STI Shadow .45ACP 1911, a Ruger SP-101 .357 3in revolver, and every other "puny" pocket-sized pistol that I've ever tried. There's just something about how the PM9 spreads its recoil load across the web of my hand that makes it feel like a pussycat when shooting even extended range sessions. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Changing paramenters?

Have you seen womens' jeans pockets? Pocket carry is not something I've even considered. I've been drooling over a Crossbreed Mini Tuck IWB....[/QUOTE]

1. Yes, I have.

2. Good for you!

The ".380 pocket pistol" in the thread title is the reason I mentioned pocket carry and influenced my and some others' recommendations. Some posters have recommended good pistols too large for a "pocket pistol" but excellent for belt & holster.

So, with new parameters in mind the Sig P238 is hard to beat. The safety will not release itself. The potential concern is forgetting to release the safety when drawing to fire. The cure is practice practice which you have committed to do. You can and should a do pleanty of repetitions in dry-fire mode at home until releasing the safety becomes an automatic response of the subconscious mind. Target acquisition can be incoroprated into the same exercise and will work wonders for getting off that important first round hit. Commit to a few reps each day (perhaps 15 minutes) rather than longer sessions now and then. You will soon be an accomplished confident pistoleer.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Welcome to the Forum!

While I would recommend the Walther PPK, may I suggest you try a Walther PPS in 9mm. Currently the two ladies I'm helping both start out with the a .380 acp in mind, however after range time and training both moved up to the 9mm. However you can't go wrong with a PPK in .380 acp!

Now please, as you traverse the forum, Do Not pay any attention to the many caliber wars as they are just a "testerone" thing about who's is bigger or which can penetrate deeper and can kill more jello! With todays ammunition the .380 acp is a viable (In Close - ± 10 yards) self defense round! The LAPD has approved the round for back up and concealment!

Again welcome!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!

While I would recommend the Walther PPK, may I suggest you try a Walther PPS in 9mm. Currently the two ladies I'm helping both start out with the a .380 acp in mind, however after range time and training both moved up to the 9mm. However you can't go wrong with a PPK in .380 acp!

Now please, as you traverse the forum, Do Not pay any attention to the many caliber wars as they are just a "testerone" thing about who's is bigger or which can penetrate deeper and can kill more jello! With todays ammunition the .380 acp is a viable (In Close - ± 10 yards) self defense round! The LAPD has approved the round for back up and concealment!

Again welcome!
    Ringing endorsement. I kid, I kid.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

All that really matters is that the gun (32, 380, 9mm) doesn't jam. I carry a Seecamp 32 ACP and went to a Church Social, and a bought a rasberry jello mold. Got it home, and it was awful. I took it in my backyard and slapped seven 32s in it. It squealed like a *****, but it was self defense.

Now if I was at a ATM and Rufus approached, and wanted a short term loan - all that really matters is you get the gun out, and it doesn't jam. A 380 is fine for self defense. Yes a 45 is better, but shot placement trumps all.

Senior Moderator
    I will only add to give a all steel revolver a try as others have already said.

You are getting lots of advise here, and it is very good that you have a range that will let you rent different pistols.

You can also try pistols that are a little larger

Check out our very own limatunes' youtube channel limalife (aka limatunes) - YouTube
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

These are in the ~14-17oz range. Find a revolver in the ~25-35oz range, and I think you'll change your mind about revolvers.
    Oh, trust me, I harbor no resentment towards revolvers in general. I just know now that the little snubbies don't seem to stand up well to the big booms. They are good for carry, but I wanna play with it, too!

Right after testing those out, my friend asked if I wanted to shoot his big honkin' .40. I was like, "If I can't shoot the .38 special, what makes you think I would like this thing?!" And, as one would have it, it was awesome. Bigger is better - that's what she said!

The ".380 pocket pistol" in the thread title is the reason I mentioned pocket carry and influenced my and some others' recommendations. Some posters have recommended good pistols too large for a "pocket pistol" but excellent for belt & holster.
    Well, I went with that colloquialism as that's the size I'm looking for, even if I don't intend to stick it in my pocket. I'm a petite girl. So the smaller the better to conceal it on me. Plus, I think I'm actually kind of working around the holster - from what it looks like, the Mini Tuck will be a better fit to my body than the Supertuck (what I originally wanted) and they only fit the li'l pocket guys.

Do Not pay any attention to the many caliber wars
    Never have. I saw it phrased well on a website. "Give your friend a .22 and ask him to shoot you. That's what I thought." No one wants to get shot by anything, and the minimum capacity of these things (what, 5 rounds?) should be more than enough to get someone off you. I don't want BBs, but I don't listen to the rhetoric regarding how "big" the caliber should be.

I took it in my backyard and slapped seven 32s in it.
    Shooting jello?! For realsies?? If only I had a backyard...

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Ringing endorsement. I kid, I kid.
    It is! LAPD has authorized the S & W 380 Bodyguard, but they can't use the lasers that come on the pistol!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Petite - no problem

Unless you are smaller than a size 5, concealment is no problem. A Sig P238 size pistol in a Mini Tuck will disappear under any non spandex style shirt or blouse. You will enjoy shooting the slightly larger pistol much more than a true pocket size pistol without compromising concealment.

The perfect holster is about as easy to find as the perfect pistol. Compromises abound. If your shirts amd blouses are pretty much waist length you may be limited to inside waistband (IWB) carry. If they are slightly longer, a highride outside waistband (OWB) such as FIST's "Dave Spaulding" may work and be more comfortable. http://www.fist-holsters.com

Also consider crossdraw carry. My wife (5' 0") likes a zero degree cant OWB worn crossdraw for her 3" S&W revolver. It puts the gun in a semi-shoulder position with the butt blending with her bustline. The holster is a modified Ken Null Gibraltar K.L. Null Holsters Home Page

Given the many choices of good guns and holsters, you just gotta jump in somewhere, realizing there will be some trials and errors as you gain experience.
    Count the pairs of shoes in the closet to get an idea of what's ahead!
    Last edited by Paladin3840; October 3rd, 2012 at 02:34 AM.

I too thought about the ppk/s as my first gun. Held one in the store and liked it. A friend has the Bersa and enjoys shooting it. Ended up deciding I wanted one of the new single stack slim guns; shield or xds. My mom was a patrol officer in East Stl until recently and her off duty/backup gun was a glock 26.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links