Double action non-polymer .380 pocket pistol - does this exist?

This is a discussion on Double action non-polymer .380 pocket pistol - does this exist? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 I really appreciate all of the input. I'm a little more sold on the idea of carrying cocked and locked and ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Double action non-polymer .380 pocket pistol - does this exist?

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    I really appreciate all of the input. I'm a little more sold on the idea of carrying cocked and locked and it being safe as long as the safety's on. I believe I would also be able to train myself to pull the safety down as I draw. What I'm still worried about is that FTF with a semi-auto will always be an issue. And God forbid the time I need it is the time it jams and those extra seconds to unjam cost me my life.

Ya know?

Scary stuff. I just don't know, y'all. *siiiiiggghhhh!!!*

But thank you all so much for your advice, nonetheless.
    FTF can happen with any gun. Revolver, semi-auto, single shot, or rifle. What you do is shoot enough of your chosen carry ammo to have faith in it. At that point you have as reliable a system as it's practical to have. There is no 'mechanism' that is 100.0% reliable. Period. But if you have fired 100 rounds of Gold Dot through your P238 with out a single failure, the odds are close enough to certain the next one will go off that the difference doesn't matter. At that point, given the simplicity of the mechanism that will produce the first shot, reliability has more to do with the reliability of the primers than the mechanism. The single action hammer release is the simplest mechanism for firing a gun, and thus the most reliable.

The P238 has a very easy slide to manipulate. It also has a hammer that can be manually cocked for a second strike with out manipulating the slide. If you need it, the gun is cocked with a round in the chamber as it sits in the holster. All you have to do is flick the safety off, aim it and pull the trigger. That requires a lot less mechanism than it takes to fire a double action revolver or a double action pistol.

Bottom line, you are better off with some reasonable brand name gun choice, like a P238, than spending a year unarmed while you stew about finding the 'perfect' one. If you like the P238, get it, carry it, practice with it. If a better one shows up in a few years, you can decide to change or not. But I think you will find the P238 will work very well. Mine does.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    spending a year unarmed while you stew about finding the 'perfect' one.
    That's me to a tee! I over-research sometimes. And obsess and overthink things that are a big deal to me.

I think that from what everyone who has owned a P238 has said in terms of its safety, concealability, and reliability, and what was said about how this will likely not be my first purchase anyway (and I will keep ALL of your suggestions in mind for the future!), that this is a good one to start. I think I'm going to bite the bullet (SO MANY GOOD PUNS in the gun world!) and go for it! AAAAH BIGPURCHASESMAKEMEANXIOUSANDEXCITED

Thanks everyone! I'm off to go spend a a good chunk of cash! OOOH I'm all flushed and sweaty.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Good for you Lara. I know you'll love the Sig. But, please continue to take some classes & get more advanced training.

Bottom line, you are better off with some reasonable brand name gun choice, like a P238, than spending a year unarmed while you stew about finding the 'perfect' one
    That describes one of the women my wife has been helping. She got her CWP 6mo ago. But, she hasn't bought a gun yet. She really loves my wife's Bersa and is quite proficient. But, her husband wants to get her something else in a 9mm or 40sw. So far, she hasn't liked much of anything except an XDM compact 9mm. But, her husband won't spend the $$$. So, she continues to go around unarmed for no other reason than her husband doesn't like a Bersa 380.

It ridiculous!

What I'm still worried about is that FTF with a semi-auto will always be an issue. And God forbid the time I need it is the time it jams and those extra seconds to unjam cost me my life.

Ya know?

Scary stuff. I just don't know, y'all. *siiiiiggghhhh!!!*
    You might want to read John R. Lott Jr.'s "More Guns Less Crimes. Lott is an econometrics prof at U of Chicago who analyzes FBI crime and shooting data. The data show that, on average, the more people carrying concealed pistols tends to reduce the rate of violent crime. He specifically shows for a woman, in the face of an attack, the safest thing for her to do is to defend herself with a gun; the most dangerous response is to defend herself without a gun. In other words, if you don't have a gun, the data say the best response is to not resist. Keep in mind that just drawing your gun without firing it is likely to stop whatever criminal behavior you are facing more often than not. Of course, hone your skills and maintain your pistol.

Also, don't fret the selection of your first pistol too much. You will almost certainly end up owning several. You may wish to be sure you are comfy with your pistol's action, then make sure any others you buy operate the same way. For example, if your first is a SAO SIG Sauer P238, then you might want any addition pistols to be capable of cocked & locked carry (e.g., Colt 1911, Browning Hi-Power, CZ). If you get a subcompact now, you can add a compact and full-size later. And, if you get into shooting, you'll want a 9 Luger (cheapest centerfire ammunition) and a .22 LR conversion kit (cheapest ammo period).

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Good for you Lara. I know you'll love the Sig. But, please continue to take some classes & get more advanced training.
    But of course!

That describes one of the women my wife has been helping. She got her CWP 6mo ago. But, she hasn't bought a gun yet. She really loves my wife's Bersa and is quite proficient. But, her husband wants to get her something else in a 9mm or 40sw. So far, she hasn't liked much of anything except an XDM compact 9mm. But, her husband won't spend the $$$. So, she continues to go around unarmed for no other reason than her husband doesn't like a Bersa 380.

It ridiculous!
    Ridiculous, indeed. Luckily I don't have that problem. My psuedo-husband lets me do whatever the hell I want. Especially since this is MY hard-earned money I'm spending. My only problem is simply trying to decide!

And, if you get into shooting, you'll want a 9 Luger (cheapest centerfire ammunition) and a .22 LR conversion kit (cheapest ammo period).
    Thanks for this. This is exactly what my dad was telling me tonight regarding having fun "plinking" But I'll get to that discussion when I get there!

Well, I was all geared up to buy the Nitron model tonight, but I think I'm going to hold off for what I really want....The Blackwood model.
    P238-Blackwood-Detail-L.jpg
    Sexy!

But nowhere in the city has it in stock. :( So I'm going to watch for it on Gun Broker. Can gun shops order in something special for you? Is this a reasonable request, or will they look at me like I have two heads? Will they charge me at a premium for it?
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Can gun shops order in something special for you? Is this a reasonable request, or will they look at me like I have two heads? Will they charge me at a premium for it?
    Depends on the shop.

Many shops will order items which they have on their "buy" lists but don't otherwise have in stock. Some shops might well offer you a slight discount given the fact it's a guaranteed sale and thus guaranteed they won't need to stock the inventory awaiting a sale. You'll still need to cover the transfer cost, though even that fee is something a shop might toss in, for a quick sale.

Tip: consider acquiring new guns at shops near the end of a fiscal quarter, as they're often more attentive to "making the numbers" at such times, so your position can be strengthened for deal-making.

Some shops also deal with numerous auction-purchased transfers,. Some shops don't like to do this, but others have resigned themselves to the simple fact that the inventory/selection available online often exceeds their ability to get certain firearms. Win/win, if you find the right shop. A great shop and staff can be tough to find, but they're golden.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

One of the local shops many years ago started a program where you come in and order anything you wanted, it was cost plus $40, you paid upfront and everybody got a deal plus they didn't invest alot of time(money) in sales for the item, they still stocked a huge selection but nobody has everything. Alot of shops have a hard time making $50 per pistol, throw in a ton of labor for all the paperwork/sales showing it multiple times/etc. and you see there's not alot of money to be made by the shop.

Head to the soonest gun show in your area, and get your hands on everything you can pickup, forget the sales guys and just spend a relaxed day checking out all the options, don't even plan on buying so you don't get caught in the frenzy of the show.

I'm thrifty, I always look for deals, look for barely used guns, etc. But if there's something specif i'm looking for i'll go/call my best dealer and see if he has it or let him price it and try hard to buy the gun from him, I won't get ripped off, but $10-20 more to get it from him knowing he'll back me if it's a lemon go's a long way. Also he has an indoor range and will usually kick in a free 1yr pass for buying there...

Welcome to the forum, great decision to carry. My wife carries a Walther PK380, outstanding gun. Check one out, you might like it.
    Product: PK380 - Black
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

Metro Shooting Supplies is a good gun shop near the airport (Bridgeton). Their prices are not especially low, but they include a 1 year membership at their indoor range when you buy a gun there. If you buy the membership without a gun it's $200. I bought my S&W Bodyguard 380 there so that I could get the membership, even though Cabela's had it on sale for $40 less that weekend. They are knowledgeable and very nice folks.

The Bodyguard 380 is a nice little gun, by the way--I did not mention it before since you were looking for a non-polymer gun. My main carry is an S&W Shield 9mm and I like the Bodyguard because it is laid out exactly the same as the Shield, although the trigger action is a lot different. The Bodyguard has a built-in laser that is useful for checking my aim while squeezing the trigger to see if I'm pulling off target, plus it has much better sights than the LCP (the main alternative I looked at).

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Fantastic .380. approx 500 flawless rounds.

I sold my 2 guns in .380 and my LCR to go .357 SIG.

Have a slight regret,, but it will passs.

This helps with the pain.

More pics.

Marschal Custom Grips-2012 pictures by czrami - Photobucket
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

So I'm curious to know what you purchased. Did you find the Blackwood model? Did you know that the Sig p238 has a larger caliber variant, called the Sig P938? They are quite nice. However, I did want to point out that neither sig meets your original request. They are very fine pistols but neither one is double action, meaning - if you get a hard primer bullet and it doesn't fire you don't have second strike capability. Now, if an all metal frame isn't more important than second strike capability, (and you haven't already made your purchase), I humbly submit my recommendation. The S&W Bodyguard .380. I had alot of criteria when I chose a pistol for pocket carry. They were (in order of importance)-
    Reliability
    .380 or 9mm Caliber
    Double Action (second strike capable)
    Manual Safety
    Height less than 4in
    Width less than .75
    Laser sight capable
    night sight capable
    Slide lock

The S&W Bodyguard is the ONLY pistol that offers all of these things. I carry it everyday and I think it is as close to perfect as can be had. I had night sights installed and it comes with a laser built in. I don't mind the caliber because the laws of physics make any gun this thin to painful to shoot in 9mm and modern ammo such as the hornady critical defense and others have made .380 a decent round. The Sig is a fantastic gun, personally I'd get the equinox version for the better sights, or the hd version for all steel. That's really all a moot point, as for me, second strike capability is a requirement and there are very, very few guns with all of my requirements in a pocket pistol. Actually, only one. :-)
    Ransom likes this.

both me and my wife own bersa 380 Handguns and they ARE soo worth the $$$ Spent

Kimber Solo

If you haven't already bought your gun, consider a Kimber Solo 9mm. It is available in all metal and the size is perfect for pocket carry....[5.5"x3.9"x.995"]. It is just a little larger than the Ruger LCP.
    As long as you use 124 gr or 147gr ammo, it is reliable. My Solo is like the one on the left. The metal one is the one on the right.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links