any one ever handle a glock with this installed? - Page 3

any one ever handle a glock with this installed?

This is a discussion on any one ever handle a glock with this installed? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm - Before I started carrying and keeping a round in the chamber, I bought one of these for my G17. Attachment ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: any one ever handle a glock with this installed?

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    Before I started carrying and keeping a round in the chamber, I bought one of these for my G17.

Attachment 63251 Siderlock

Never did get around to installing it...never went back to worrying about the need either.
    i have always wondered about these, how much force it takes to depress that button. something about putting the safety on the trigger kinda seems bass ackwards to me, since you have to put your finger on the trigger to disengage the safety....yea.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    ...something about putting the safety on the trigger kinda seems bass ackwards to me, since you have to put your finger on the trigger to disengage the safety....yea.
    Agreed. Being serious about keeping my finger OUTSIDE the trigger-guard has always seemed the better idea. Poking around trying to find that button? No thanks!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I have done some pretty dumb things in my life, but ruining my guns is not one of them.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

It seems to me that if you want an external manual safety on a gun, you should purchase a gun that is designed from the ground up, with an external manual safety.

That just seems like a device which requires a major modification of the gun itself, and something I would never be able to completely trust on a defensive firearm.
    joker1 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have had a Siderlock on my Glock 19 for over a year. It works fine and I have never had a problem with it

If you have ever used a shotgun with a push button safety on the trigger guard, it feels somewhat like that, I have fired many thousands of rounds from a Remington 1100, both hunting and trap shooting so it was second nature to get used to popping the safety off when coming on target to shoot. I practiced with the Glock unloaded a lot with the Siderlock before I carried it and never managed to pull the trigger unintentionally while taking the safety off. I installed it when I could no longer carry at work and had to holster and un-holster in my car several times a day.
    The safety is positive but does not require a lot of force to disengage.
    It is certainly not for everyone but it works fine for me.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    The Comminolli safety has been around for decades and is considered by most knowledgable people to be as reliable as the Glock itself. Maybe moreso since the advent of the Gen4's.

I don't own one because I would just Israeli carry if I felt the need and be prepared to rack the slide to get the gun into action if need be.

Edit: It's also unlikely that all those who own one are "morons".

Jim

I think it is safe enough with one in the pipe, sitting between my legs in a smartcarry . That is friends is trust.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Blasphemy!

Get your manual safety off of my GLOCK!
    Brad426 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    According to Wikipedia:

The Glock 17S is a variant with an external, frame-mounted, manual safety. Small numbers of this variant were made for the Tasmanian, Israeli, Pakistani and perhaps several South American security forces.[62] They are stamped "17", not "17S". They resemble, but are distinguishable from, standard Glock 17 pistols that have been fitted with the after-market Cominolli safety.[63]

Glock 17 outfitted with a thumb safety was designed specifically for the Tasmania Police[68] and the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service[69]

God Bless

The first time I heard of the revolver safety with magnetized rings, Massad Ayoob was expounding its virtues.

I would never own a personal protection firearm with a safety.

VIP Member
    The first Glock I owned had one of these things. (I don't recall the brand.) A guy bought the Glock, didn't feel safe with it and had the safety instaled. He still didn't think it was safe and wanted to change to a revolver. So I bought the thing for $250, I figured it was a good deal and I could flip it into something I liked. (At the time I hated Glock) I ended up liking the gun and held onto it until I brain froze and decided I had to ditch Glock and use only Sig. I've since seen the error in my ways and have returned to the Glock as a carry weapon but the safety (which I don't recall ever actually clicking on) isn't going to be making a return unless some other guy wants to basically give one away.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by MBRIDER View Post
    I would never own a personal protection firearm with a safety.
    So you don't own a social shotgun? How 'bout a rifle? GLOCK advertises three safeties; integrated trigger safety, firing pin safety & drop safety. Then there are revolver transfer bar safeties. What type of safety-free personal protection firearm do you advocate?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    The first Glock I owned had one of these things. (I don't recall the brand.) A guy bought the Glock, didn't feel safe with it and had the safety instaled. He still didn't think it was safe and wanted to change to a revolver. So I bought the thing for $250, I figured it was a good deal and I could flip it into something I liked. (At the time I hated Glock) I ended up liking the gun and held onto it until I brain froze and decided I had to ditch Glock and use only Sig. I've since seen the error in my ways and have returned to the Glock as a carry weapon but the safety (which I don't recall ever actually clicking on) isn't going to be making a return unless some other guy wants to basically give one away.
    I bet that guy walked kicking himself, huh?
    Honey, I forgot to duck.- Ronald Reagan

The most terrifying words in the English language are "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".- Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by 303british View Post
    I have had a Siderlock on my Glock 19 for over a year. It works fine and I have never had a problem with it
    I take it you have never tried firing your so-equipped Glock with only your non-dominant hand.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links