Need help with 1911 problem - Page 2

Need help with 1911 problem

This is a discussion on Need help with 1911 problem within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would also check your grip. It is entirely possible that your are pushing down on the slide lock keeping the gun from locking back ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Need help with 1911 problem

VIP Member
    I would also check your grip. It is entirely possible that your are pushing down on the slide lock keeping the gun from locking back on an empty chamber.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    I would also check your grip. It is entirely possible that your are pushing down on the slide lock keeping the gun from locking back on an empty chamber.
    Funny you would mention...an old shooting buddy taught me a simple trick to check that ('cause he suspected it while I was SURE i wasn't touching the slide release). He asked if my hands were clean, I said sure, then he coated the slide-release with gun grease. After the next mag emptied, guess who had gun grease on their LEFT THUMB? I loved that ol' man.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

If different magazines don't help (and they won't) , send your pistol back to the manufacturer and tell them to make it right. Good luck.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

First FTE, is that fail to extract, or eject? I suspect that is meant for eject. If that is the case, is the mouth of the last fired case getting crushed, dented, is at times jammed into the magazine? If either of these is happing a heaver recoil spring is what I have used to stop this, however I have only experience with full sized 1911s, having said that I use a 18.5 lb spring, I have found that the slide coming back too fast is catching the mouth of the case and dinging it, sometimes to the pint of getting jammed and sometimes gust a slight ding in the mouth of the case. I believe the cause for this is not having a round in the mag to slow down the slide.

Also be a where of where your support hand thumb is, if you shoot with it in front of the other thumb it may be keeping the slide stop from catching the slide.
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

As "I" read it it's failure to eject last round and failure to lock back if and when last round ejects. He doesn't state if it's a stovepipe or re-chambering the empty or whatever on the FTE.

The gun is ejecting the other 6 rounds (I assume a 7 round mag. or so I hope) so the ejector profile/length is most likely OK. I would add tension to the extractor as the first fix for the fail to eject. This will quite often be the answer as the follower doesn't apply quite the same pressure on the last empty case as a loaded round below it and a little more tension against the breech face gives more "snap" when it hits the ejector getting the empty up and over the port wall.

The failure to lock back, IMO, is first a slow slide stop for whatever reason and second a too strong or "stacked" recoil spring.

For a slow stop a stronger mag spring or better designed mag is usually the cure. Take the upper off, insert the empty mag and check to ensure the stop lobe is in contact with the follower when the mag is empty and not dragging along the mag relief cut for it. I would try a Wolff Extra Power spring first or borrow a known good mag or two from someone to try. FWIW I have tried them all and find Tripp Cobras to be the best of the lot in quality and function, YMMV.

Too strong recoil spring; this may be the problem but the only way to tell is buy a spring calibration pack and work your way up & down the ratings till you find the sweet spot with the ammo of your choice or get about 500 rounds on the spring of full power rounds.
    If the recoil spring is stacked near solid cutting 3/4 of a coil off is usually all the relief that's needed.

Hope this is of some help and good luck.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    RIA`s require a coupla hundred rounds of BALL ammo Before going to the exotic stuff. New gun breakin only,mine eats everything. The Lifetime Warranty is Gold!!!!!.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links