Different Carry Gun

This is a discussion on Different Carry Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will give the starch a try. I've been reading up on wooden grips too. I think they would not stick as bad as the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Different Carry Gun

I will give the starch a try. I've been reading up on wooden grips too. I think they would not stick as bad as the factory ones.

2. Remove Ads

When I can go untucked, my Shield in a Remora works great. When I need to tuck in, I carry an S&W Bodyguard 380 in my pocket. I prefer the Bodyguard over the LCP because it has better sights. The Sig P238 looks better yet, although more expensive. Happy hunting!
    Last edited by Ransom; October 5th, 2012 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Corrected typo: I meant LCP not LCR.

I EDC a XDS, and my Wife EDC's a Shield in .40 - She is a much smaller frame than I am and the Shield hides well with her wardrobe. My Scottish genetics make me a barrel chested fellow and I find the XDS with a Harwell IWB cannot be seen hardly at all, she knows I C.A.T.N., but still has to ask sometimes as she cannot tell I'm pack'n.

IMO, you could easily get an IWB and drop the firearm down in your waste band to reduce the grip press with a good IWB, or I think your on the right track looking at the sub 1 inch thickness weapons you listed. I'm real partial to my lil XDS now, it's a fantastic carry weapon in warm weather.

In cooler weather I just sport a Miami rig and my DW Razorback 10mm under my heavy coat.

GL with the search, and there is nothing wrong with the new gun bug. =-)

NachO

VIP Member
    You might also want to look at the Kahr CW9.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

does the body guard have the same trigger as an M&P/Shield? or is like the LCP? I don't really care for a hammer fired DOA feel on a semiauto. I had a sig 250 at one point and it was hammer fired. The trigger pull was terrible.

The Bodyguard 380 has a trigger more like the LCP. It is hammer-fired DAO.

Quote Originally Posted by NachO_1911 View Post
    I EDC a XDS, and my Wife EDC's a Shield in .40 - She is a much smaller frame than I am and the Shield hides well with her wardrobe. My Scottish genetics make me a barrel chested fellow and I find the XDS with a Harwell IWB cannot be seen hardly at all, she knows I C.A.T.N., but still has to ask sometimes as she cannot tell I'm pack'n.

IMO, you could easily get an IWB and drop the firearm down in your waste band to reduce the grip press with a good IWB, or I think your on the right track looking at the sub 1 inch thickness weapons you listed. I'm real partial to my lil XDS now, it's a fantastic carry weapon in warm weather.

In cooler weather I just sport a Miami rig and my DW Razorback 10mm under my heavy coat.

GL with the search, and there is nothing wrong with the new gun bug. =-)

NachO
    Thanks, I am going to try and find an xds this weekend to see how it feels. I think the next holster I am going to get is a crossbreed for my sp101 just to see if it works better since it is a 2 clip set. Plus they have the 2 week guarantee from what their website says. Still going to be in the market for a semi auto just cant decide if it will be a full sized or a carry size.

I had a SW1911 but it was stolen when my house was broken into last may. It should have been in my safe, but it was my bedside gun. Dumb move on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    The Bodyguard 380 has a trigger more like the LCP. It is hammer-fired DAO.
    I will give it a look. I called a couple of stores most have what I am looking for in stock so I will get a chance to handle them. Is it a long trigger pull?

Quote Originally Posted by llred View Post
    I will give it a look. I called a couple of stores most have what I am looking for in stock so I will get a chance to handle them. Is it a long trigger pull?
    Yep, the trigger pull is fairly long in the take up. It took some getting used to, but I like it fine for a pocket carry. I think it's fun to shoot at the range, although the Shield is easier and more accurate. Most days I can carry the Shield, but I like the Bodyguard as a backup/alternate and I like that the two guns are laid out exactly the same (sights, safety, slide lock, mag release, take down). They make a great pair. Now if only the Bodyguard's trigger was as nice as the Shield's, that would be amazing.

2012-09-23 06.03.23 (800x600).jpg

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tet4 View Post
    You could try a larger size, or try starching it to see if removes some cling.
    We should start a Home Economics section for guns!

Edit: To the OP, I would carry what works best and allows you to still focus on your job, a PF-9 / CM9 / LCP or similar sized 9mm/.380 is easy and comfy, and allows for quick storage if needed.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

If you like your SP101, other than the ability to conceal it with your new work attire, then perhaps give the LCR a look. It's smaller and much lighter than the SP101, but still can handle +P loads. It has an excellent trigger, the best of any small frame revolver I've come across. With a cylinder full of Gold Dot +P short barrel loads (or whatever you like to carry) and an extra speed strip or two it would be hard to beat.

I ended up getting the Sig P238. I really like this gun. Very slim, 1911 based, and I got an extended magazine so I can carry 7+1. I took it to the range sunday and put it through its paces. It is actually pretty accurate for being such a compact pistol. I could hold 2in groups at 15 yards and about an 1' group inside 100 yards. There is very little recoil it is a tad bit more than shooting my P30. All in all I'm very happy with my purchase. I did order a crossbreed holster for it and the SP101. I hope the holster helps with the sp101, atleast I can carry it on the weekends or more during the upcoming winter months.

Thanks to all for your input.

I also could not find a store with an xds in stock and the shields were few and far between. If the sig ends up being a flop down the road I am still going to look at those two.

IMG_0191.jpg

here is a picture of it.

When I was a funeral director I had to wear a suit everyday. I carried my Glock 30 in a belly band without any problems what so ever. Might want to take a look at that option. Also, an ankle rig can be easily concealed and easy to remove when needed.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

ankle rig would be out, as I have to wear steel toe boots. equipment rental business.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links