The Pro Sight Advantage - it's what's on my SD G17 and it's gonna stay on it...

This is a discussion on The Pro Sight Advantage - it's what's on my SD G17 and it's gonna stay on it... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looks interesting.........

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: The Pro Sight Advantage - it's what's on my SD G17 and it's gonna stay on it...

Looks interesting......

2. Remove Ads

No disrespect, but beating on a block tells me nothing. Did it hold zero? We will never know. All we know is it can hit things. I never did get why manufacturers think they have to do this. Their sights, not a hammer.

I like the idea of different profile inserts, it doesn't require you to change the whole sight if you prefer a different sight picture. The comment about filing my sight channel is somewhat disconcerting however.

It was a nice right up, glad you like your new sights.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Napa Nick View Post
    No disrespect, but beating on a block tells me nothing. Did it hold zero?
    Of course it did, it has to hold zero with the Total Lock Down System. There are no moving parts, pins or springs to fail. Nothing can move. Even the dovetail has TWO cup point set screws holding it in place.

All we know is it can hit things. I never did get why manufacturers think they have to do this. Their sights, not a hammer.
    I know guys in competition who have lost their sights. I know men who have dropped their guns on the street during lethal encounters and lost their sights. I also know men who have been blown out of fox holes in combat. They ALL REALLY want the weak link (i.e., the sights) to be strong.

I like the idea of different profile inserts, it doesn't require you to change the whole sight if you prefer a different sight picture. The comment about filing my sight channel is somewhat disconcerting however.
    Filing the sight channel?

There are NO modifications required to the Glock Slide to fit Pro-Sights. If anything you may need to file the sight base dovetail slightly. Here's how they install:

Last edited by DRM; October 11th, 2012 at 07:42 AM.
    OD* likes this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa Nick View Post
    ...The comment about filing my sight channel is somewhat disconcerting however.
    I think, i.e. don't know, but think you may be confused about what I said about fitting the sight to the dovetail. I was talking about filing the sight, not the slide dovetail. One never files or machines the dovetail in a slide to fit a sight.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A thorough review as always, Tangle. I may have to give that a try. The eyes just ain't what they use to be. So, what's next--Ghost Sights?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    A thorough review as always, Tangle.
    Thanks! That's much appreciated!

...The eyes just ain't what they use to be.
    I hear ya - I'm there too.

...So, what's next--Ghost Sights?
    I have thought about that, but nobody uses them on handguns - not sure why, but maybe they just don't work as well on a handgun as they do on a long gun????

Excellent info, thanks...a couple of comments and questions...
    These sights, especially the front sight (for an FO), look like they would withstand anything, it is clear that someone that shoots and carries guns daily and is not willing to accept the same old thing because it has always been done that way worked them up. The Phillips screw is a great idea (a "why didn't somebody think of that before?" thing). However, the silver color makes it look like a refugee from Home Depot because you lost your factory screw. If I am ever able to buy a set for my M&P, I'll will put something on it to make it black, even it was only Sharpie marker. I am probably one of the few in the world that will even notice and this is not a complaint.
    Shim adjustable rear-one of my pet peeves is fixed sights not shooting to POA and having to buy/measure for new front sights or hope the tritiums that are available to fit the gun actually work. Great way to solve this. They are nylon/Delrin or something similar?
    V-Notch: I tried the A/O Express some years ago and they were fast but no fun to shoot past a few yards for me, I just hated not being able to shoot a tighter group. I know they weren't MADE for that, but it kind of affected my confidence and I like to shoot groups for fun, even with my small guns. These look less shallow and more precise, but I am still a bit leery. I would love to try a V and regular notch without having to buy two whole sight sets, maybe just buy a second insert part instead of a whole sight? Can that be done?
    If you are ever able to make and sell them to M&P shooters, I'm on deck for a set.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Excellent info, thanks...a couple of comments and questions...
    These sights, especially the front sight (for an FO), look like they would withstand anything, it is clear that someone that shoots and carries guns daily and is not willing to accept the same old thing because it has always been done that way worked them up.
    Thank you, that’s exactly how this got started. I got tired of my sight blades breaking off, screws stripping out or shearing, springs rusting and pins breaking.

The Phillips screw is a great idea (a "why didn't somebody think of that before?" thing). However, the silver color makes it look like a refugee from Home Depot because you lost your factory screw.
    Actually, the Phillips screw is a very special screw not available at the hardware store due to the low profile head. And as Tangle stated earlier, when overseas, it’s hard to find the right size hex Allen wrench (especially one that's not metric) and very easy to strip the hex flats out (especially with a metric Allen wrench).

If I am ever able to buy a set for my M&P, I'll will put something on it to make it black, even it was only Sharpie marker. I am probably one of the few in the world that will even notice and this is not a complaint.
    We may design a set for the M&P, we'll see. FWIW: The screw sits down below the line of sight so glare is a non issue. But I have had guys black them out with paint and Sharpies. I have also had people ask me to sand blast the screw to make it darker. Still others want me to high polish it to match the rest of the “Bling” on their Dream Blaster.

Shim adjustable rear-one of my pet peeves is fixed sights not shooting to POA and having to buy/measure for new front sights or hope the tritiums that are available to fit the gun actually work. Great way to solve this. They are nylon/Delrin or something similar?
    Me, too...

I just can’t stand a gun that doesn't shoot to point of aim, drives me nuts. This “hold over/under” stuff is not going to work under stress. Too much to think about.

Originally I had stainless shims, then experimented with different plastics. The White Nylon we use holds up well to cleaning solvents.
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

www.TacticalShooting.com

Sponsor

Thumbs up

And to all the guys who PM'd me, call me old fashion, but...

Pro-Sights are 100% American Made right here in the USA.

www.TacticalShooting.com

Sponsor

Lightbulb

V-Notch: I tried the A/O Express some years ago and they were fast but no fun to shoot past a few yards for me, I just hated not being able to shoot a tighter group. I know they weren't MADE for that, but it kind of affected my confidence and I like to shoot groups for fun, even with my small guns. These look less shallow and more precise, but I am still a bit leery.
    The V-Dot has been used to win (3) National titles and numerous World Speed Steel titles as well. Here's a testimonial:

“At age 66 I just couldn’t see my Bomars anymore, so D.R. suggested I tryout his Pro-Sight® V-Dot. I used it to win the Second Chance National Police Combat Championships. I set new National Records for Low E.T. and I shot the FAStest aggregate time ever recorded.” – Ken Tapp, OK

NOTE: It is VERY important to note that some ALL TIME SHOOTING GREATS were at the match that Ken Tapp won. Guys like JERRY Miculek and Jerry “The Burner” Barnhart, just to name a few. And the OLD MAN BEAT THEM ALL using V-Dot sight picture.

V-DOTSIGHTPIC BIG.jpg

www.TacticalShooting.com

Sponsor

Lightbulb

I would love to try a V and regular notch without having to buy two whole sight sets, maybe just buy a second insert part instead of a whole sight? Can that be done?
    Yes, the rear blades are available separately. They are interchangeable and they automatically re-zero. Here are the current rear sight blade options:

Rear Blades.jpg

www.TacticalShooting.com

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    ...I just can’t stand a gun that doesn't shoot to point of aim, drives me nuts. This “hold over/under” stuff is not going to work under stress. Too much to think about.
    That absolutely drives me batty.

If one uses/shoots more than one gun, and the sights do NOT shoot to the POA, then one has to remember where to hold based which gun he's shooting.
    OD* likes this.

Thanks a lot for the response, that V shape must work a lot better than the A/O Express. I am really curious to try these out (just not curious enough to buy a Glock). I have two M&P .45s (a 4 and 4.5 inch), and the hold off for a head shot box IDPA target is just enough that I have to stop and think about it. At any rate, will watch for them to come out for them...or maybe my Shield...
    What Would Gumby Do?

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Thanks a lot for the response, that V shape must work a lot better than the A/O Express.
    They do work better - I've shot with both. Up close they're both good. At longer ranges at speed, they're not as accurate.

I've seen the James Yeager video where he does a long range shot with XS sights. But he is in optimum lighting conditions. I could put him on my covered range and he couldn't do that. I know that sounds bold but once those sights become predominately front lighted, you can't see the white dot any more. Seeing the white dot is critical for alignment.

The Pro Sights have a deeper V and a smaller dot and even front lit, you still get alignment acuity.

I even spoke to A/O Express about accuracy. They said you would give up some accuracy for speed. Not so for Pro Sights.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I have thought about that, but nobody uses them on handguns - not sure why, but maybe they just don't work as well on a handgun as they do on a long gun????
    My son installed a set on one of his Glocks. I haven't shot it, only dryfiring, but they seemed to be pretty nice, at least in daylight. I always prefered my peep sights on my old .22 rifle over other iron sights. I'll have to get him to let me fire it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links