The Pro Sight Advantage - it's what's on my SD G17 and it's gonna stay on it...

This is a discussion on The Pro Sight Advantage - it's what's on my SD G17 and it's gonna stay on it... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GlassWolf Tangle, let's just shake hands... Sounds great! Consider your hand nearly shook off - that's a lot of shakin'! Originally Posted ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: The Pro Sight Advantage - it's what's on my SD G17 and it's gonna stay on it...

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Tangle, let's just shake hands...
    Sounds great! Consider your hand nearly shook off - that's a lot of shakin'!

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    ...On an unrelated note, what are your thoughts on these solid black rear sights I've been seeing on more handguns lately? (no rear dots, U, bar, etc.. just blacked out with a V or notch in back, usually with a front dot sight of some sort.)
    I believe they are meant to allow a faster, less distracting sight picture acquisition, but I find them difficult to use. I do a lot better with a 3-dot.
    What you described is a setup also used with night sights. I.e. only the front sight has a night sight. As you stated, the claim is, purportedly faster. The theory is that your arms and shoulders align the rear sight, so you only need to put the front sight on the target and you're aligned. It may be faster if the threat is close and you are in a familiar standing position.

The problem with the theory for the single night sight is, you may not always have the arm/shoulder position for alignment, and/or the threat may be further away and/or only partially disclosed, and then we need the rear sight.

Black sights were a 'thing' for a while. I don't like them at all. They just don't show up quickly and cleanly against dark clothing.

I like the bar and dot sights. Three dots are ok, but for me, and this is just me, the bar and dot are easier and faster. Heinie has a straight 8 bar/dot and the Pro Sights have a bar dot.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    My issue with the narrow ridge and the ramp is simply this: with the adrenaline dump of an active shooter/confrontation situation, especially if you're injured causing the need for a one handed manipulation, that smaller ridge makes the use of gross motor skills, upon which you may be forced to rely, more difficult, in my humble opinion. Nothing more.

The Pro Sight Advantage - it's what's on my SD G17 and it's gonna stay on it...

Thanks a lot for the detailed review.

I've been thinking on and off about trying a set of the XS sights on one of my carry guns to see if I like it better than the stock Glock sights. Seeing these I'm reconsidering. Since I can't find any specs in the XS website in assuming(?) the XS sights are plastic, which is a point in favor of the Pro Sights. I also like the slightly deeper V notch. It seems like it would be easier to use. I guess my one concern is the fiber optic front sight. I've got one gun with FO sights (a Ruger Single-Ten). I love them for the range or plinking and i found them easy to align even without my glasses on. I notice, however, that below a certain light level the FO seems to "go out" and I'm left with a post-and-notch sight with a couple of dull dots. How do these FO Pro Sights work in dim light? Twilight outdoors or dimmer inside light?
    Mike

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.”
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Since I can't find any specs in the XS website in assuming(?) the XS sights are plastic, which is a point in favor of the Pro Sights.
    The XS sights I've installed for customers were metal...

Fiber Optics do need ambient light. At dusk or dawn, the Green F.O. seems better (most hunters agree). But during the day RED F.O. RULES the day. But some people see GREEN better than RED, so it just depends on where your eyes are on the color spectrum.

But you can't go wrong with a WHITE Dot either, pretty good all around. Works great with a flashlight. Speaking of a flashlight:

I have some Luminescent paint that Tangle turned me on to. I'm REALLY excited about. It blows Tritium away in low light. I've tried a several different brands, but the GLOW-ON seems to be the best so far. They're a sponsor here. We'll report more on this shortly.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Sponsor

Exclamation Warning

I just had a client ask me to “sharpen the hook” and make it more aggressive. I did and we ran into some MAJOR ISSUES...

It seems that gun wants to “hang up” on the holster and not slip off and go on by. The result is the muzzle turning inwards towards the thigh.

Same problem arose with racking on the belt forward of the hip, except the muzzle then wanted to roll inward towards the inner thigh and crotch.

WARNING: No matter what sight you use, DO NOT practice one hand slide racking with LIVE AMMO!!
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

www.TacticalShooting.com

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I'm looking at trying out that Glo-On, too.

just for reference, when I'd mentioned the forward angle or "hook" for a rear sight, this is what I meant:
    DP Rear Sight DP Charger Fixed Rear Sight for Springfield XD/XDm, Black, .145" Notch, Non-Serrated #018049 Detail Page

That's the "Charger" sight I'd mentioned earlier, just in case anyone didn't understand, or wasn't familiar with the concept.

Senior Moderator
    I'm not sure the tendency for the gun to rotate inward is unique to Pro Sights. But I can see how a hook would cause the gun to behave differently than the straight cut as I used in the video. There are a number of things in play that could cause the gun to rotate inward. But, if you watch my video in real slow motion....well judge for yourself I guess...

Notice in both segments, especially in the holster rack, that while the muzzle is angled inward slightly, at that time the slide is fully rearward. By the time the slide has closed to a firing position the gun is angled away from the body.

However, I believe the problem with the hook feature or any feature on the sight that causes the sight to 'dwell' on the holster longer will exacerbate the inward rotation issue. I think, and this is preliminary, when one relies on pressure against the holster or belt rather than a hook or grip, the wrist and arm is more rigid, hence holding the gun more securely and once the slide travels rearward, the straight face of the sight will release preventing further inward rotation. OTOH, anything that will 'dwell' on the holster or belt longer gives more torque about the holster to rotate the barrel inward.

Again though, be advised that belt and holster racks with any sight will bring the muzzle very close to the body and can angle the gun inward.

Perhaps this serves to illustrate the thigh or knee rack is a better/safer method.

The holster, belt, and pocket rack is taught at most major schools as a one-hand drill technique - with live ammo I might add. This emphasizes how important trigger finger discipline is in all drills, especially belt, holster, and pocket slide racks.

I've seen a lot of these racks done at shooting schools and have yet to see a discharge doing the drill.

Still heed the warning!

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, the holster rack is the way the Israelis charge their weapons routinely.

Sponsor

Thumbs up

I'm not sure the tendency for the gun to rotate inward is unique to Pro Sights. There are a number of things in play that could cause the gun to rotate inward as described.
    Right, there is NO SAFETY PROBLEM with the Pro-Sights the way they are now.

But my client wanted me to make the prototype with the rounded "Hook" more of a "CLAW" or "TALON" to get more bite. So, I thought we'd try it. Problem is that it gets hung up on the holster and then the muzzle rolls inwards towards the body. It also tears up belts and pants, too, as I found out.

Here's a serrated version of what you have now, Tangle.

WTA MOD A.jpg

www.TacticalShooting.com

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    Right, there is NO SAFETY PROBLEM with the Pro-Sights the way they are now.
    I'm not sure there is with the hook. Granted a hook MAY cause the thigh to be covered. But if that's a real problem, shouldn't we also be equally concerned about presenting the gun?

...But my client wanted me to make the prototype with the rounded "Hook" more of a "CLAW" or "TALON" to get more bite. So, I thought we'd try it. Problem is that it gets hung up on the holster and then the muzzle rolls inwards towards the body.
    Well, one can go too far with a good thing. But, that's exactly what I thought was happening - the hook couldn't release.

...It also tears up belts and pants, too, as I found out.
    Oh no! That would raise the blood pressure.

...Here's a serrated version of what you have now, Tangle.
    That's funny DR; I serrated the sloped top. I believe in a thigh or knee rack, that slanted top is important for grip. Although, as you can see from my first video, racking the slide with a Pro Sight is not hard to do.

Not sure how I feel about the front serrations. They really look good, but they represent more dwell time, i.e hook time on the holster, and more 'chewing' on belts, pants, and holsters.

However, after thinking about this some more, I think there's some over-reaction to 'covering' the thigh, etc. Certainly we don't want to do that, but we can't even draw our gun without covering our thigh.

If something is causing an execution problem, or an unacceptable safety problem then sure, we need to correct that. But for just angling into the thigh, I'm not sure that's as serious as what happens in a rapid draw and fire motion.

I don't mean to minimize the issue, but rather to compare it to something of equal exposure that's commonly acceptable.

Sponsor

Thumbs up

How would the sights be for hunting?
    Coyotes don't like them.

DR COYOTE 1.jpg
    Trigg603 likes this.

www.TacticalShooting.com

Sponsor

Thumbs up Fox in the hen house?

FOX in the HEN HOUSE 1.jpg

Not anymore...

Pro-Sights strike again!

www.TacticalShooting.com

Sponsor

Question Availability of Pro-Sights

DR, I see that the Pro-Sight fiber optic front sights are all sold out on your website.

Any idea when they will be back in stock?
    We just got some back from Black Oxide. So, we have some in house today, for now anyway.

www.TacticalShooting.com

Sponsor

Lightbulb

DR I see on your website that you are sold out of rear Pro-Sights???
    Yes, but I do have some new "LOW PROFILE" Rear Sights in stock we just posted today on the website. Take a look...

Last edited by OD*; June 28th, 2013 at 07:41 PM.

www.TacticalShooting.com

Look like my big dots on my snubs

Sponsor
    Gents,

The Pro-Sights are now back in stock and ready for immediate shipment.

Thanks guys, for your patience.

Here's a link to the On Line Store:

Tactical Shooting Academy - Pro-Sights Store

www.TacticalShooting.com

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links