.40 vs .45

This is a discussion on .40 vs .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an S&W .40 that I currently carry, however I am looking forward to upgrading to a 1911 compact .45. I would say stopping ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: .40 vs .45

I have an S&W .40 that I currently carry, however I am looking forward to upgrading to a 1911 compact .45. I would say stopping power is good enough for both, however I love the accuracy and short trigger pull the 1911 has.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

2. Remove Ads

You have a fine 9mm in the SR9c...great choice. Like others have said, shoot the other two and buy what feels or seems right. Besides, it won't be long before you buy the other anyway.
    miller_man likes this.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Just a little FYI from me. The SR40 is actually a very smooth shooting .40 caliber gun and since you already have the SR9, the ergonomics will be the same.
    Don't remember were I read it but the SR40 is touted as one of the best, smoothest .40 cals to fire. I know mine is!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Lots of good feed back on this for you to digest. I am a fan of both the 45 and 40. My choice for concealed carry is the glock 27 and my XD 45 was my bed side weapon until recently. The 45 has a little bit less perceived recoil than the 40. However after a little time with the 40 it is a very comfortable weapon to shoot. First time I took my Grandson out to shoot pistols he was 11 or 12 years old. Started him on a 22 stepped up to 9 mm, than 40 and 45. He kept grabbing the 40 and shooting it.
    Which ever you choose will serve you well. Just remember to practice often.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Hey SFCDan, I've got the Para LDA and I can't say enough good stuff about it. Heaven forbid but I'd stack it next to a Kimber any day. I can say for sure that it's right there with my Colt 1991 and that almost hurts to admit. Give it a look. The DA trigger is pretty slick, very nice touch from the factory.

Sorry for the digressive post.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshorty View Post
    For some reason that apparently defies logic, I have to admit that while I never feel under-protected with 7 rounds of Federal HST 147 gr. 9mm bullets, I still get a warm and fuzzy feeling about carrying 7 rounds of 230 Gr. HST 45 acp bullets, and almost as warm and fuzzy carrying 180 gr. HST in 40 cal.
    I like buckshotshorty's choice of HST ammo in the 3 calibers mentioned. If you go to the Federal website and look at the gelatin test results for expansion and penetration, you will see what he is talking about. I often carry 7 rounds of the HST 45s in a Glock 36, and it does give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. But carrying 14 rounds of the HST 40s in a Glock 23 is not bad.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member
    Get a 357 sig. Read up the stats on it. I believe it is supreme as a SD round for a pistol.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Rav,

If there's nothing wrong with the SR9c you have and you shoot it well, I don't see that switching to .40 or .45 is to your benefit. The 9 is fine for SD/HD duty. And, you've already purchased another 9 (Shield), so I don't see why you would need to make the move to a larger caliber.

You have two fine SD guns there. Learn to shoot them well. In fact, shoot the hell out of them. Learn each gun's characteristics. Exploit each gun's advantages and overcome it's weaknesses. IOW, master what you have, before moving onto another caliber and muddying up the waters.

Quote Originally Posted by SATCHMO1960
    To those who just say, "Shoot until he drops." Be careful. You WILL have to justify in a court of law -- both criminal and civil -- for each and every bullet that leaves your barrel.It always makes me cringe seeing a law-abiding citizen in court defending himself why his target was riddled with 20 bullet holes. You may regret your decision for "shooting until he drops". Because that action makes you look like a blood, thirsty animal who was out of control.I pray I never have to get into a gunfight. But if I do, my statements in court would be along the lines of..."After the attacker ignored my warnings and display of firearm, I fired a controlled pair. But the attacker continued his assault despite his injuries and warnings. So I had no choice to fire my third and final shot to his cranial ocular cavity before the attacker killed or grievously injured myself and my loved ones."
    So, if I were to answer the question, (why did you shoot him ten times?). Cause that's how many bullets my gun had in it, wouldn't be good.

As for the .40 or .45 question. Both are awesome defense rounds. I like the .40 myself; carry a Beretta PX4 SC around for awhile now and find both the pistol and the caliber excellent for self defense. A little on the snappy side for sure, but what would ya expect from a round with .357 magnum like firepower..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Yah, me too. I currently have an SR9c and was thinking of getting a SR40c. However, I've shot a SR40 and one of the Glock 40's and it did feel a bit "flippy". But I don't know if a .45 might be too much "kick" regardless.

Distinguished Member
    I also have a SR9c for my edc. But a Kimber Super Carry in .45 is calling me. I would really llike to try the SR40c, just have not had the chance. I want that warm, fuzzy, 1911 feeling too.

In my Glock 23 also carry the Federal 180 grain HST...Wicked rounds they are :) :)
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorri View Post
    Just a little FYI from me. The SR40 is actually a very smooth shooting .40 caliber gun and since you already have the SR9, the ergonomics will be the same.
    Don't remember were I read it but the SR40 is touted as one of the best, smoothest .40 cals to fire. I know mine is!
    I have the SR40C, and agree with your assesment. I don't carry it as my EDC, but getting to where I might. It IS on my nightstand every night.
    All men are equal...CC makes us equal-er.

Lead Moderator
    If you don't shoot much why get a second caliber to worry about. 9mm will work for defense.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I hope this helps. I have been down this same road many times. I carry 9mm and 38/357. I am not against 45. I see no real ballistic advantage over the 9 or 45 by going with a 40. Most go for a 40 cause they want a small gun. THat is what I did when I went with a glock 23 but cost of ammo was not cool. I rented a 19 and it shot smoother, more accurately, and faster with more roungs. I was sold. I now carry a that glock 19 or my magnum depending on my mood and dress. I have gone throough the 357 sigs and all that it just was not worth the loss in money and time. Stick with what you have and train alot. Work on your accuracy and speed. 9mm is just fine. Most of the pro's I know carry 9mm and when asked why they usually say something like they are secure with thier guns manliness or something smart a@@ed like that. Thier point is with quality of ammo being much better now adays than any other time in the past, good training, etc, you are just as safe with a 9 as any other caliber if you really do research and not listen to arm chair commando's. Plus more ammo on you means more ammo on target more time in a fight.

The human body clean of intoxicants and narcotics can fight to a level of causing serious bodily injury and or death for up to 60 seconds with no functioning heart and just the oxygen levels in the muscles and in the brain. One shot stops is B.S. cause it does not happen. Physics is a pain cause a basic fact for every action there is an opposite reaction and guns are not immune from that so the "knock down power" is false. The only truth with hand guns is when compaired to rifles and shotguns is that they are notoriously unreliable when it comes to stopping a fight, they are inaccurate, they are hard to shoot. The only thing they have going for them is they are small. Hollow points are all designed to meet FBI and other groups standards which are roughly 14" penetration of ballistic gelatin and roughly a 50% or more expantion with zero loss in weight.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links