.40 vs .45

This is a discussion on .40 vs .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All I been reading on here for awhile and sucking in alot of info. I just recently got my ccw. I have a SR9c ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: .40 vs .45

.40 vs .45

Hi All

I been reading on here for awhile and sucking in alot of info. I just recently got my ccw. I have a SR9c that i bought for target shooting.{rented one and really liked the way it handled and shot over some of the others. Also i picked up a s&w shield 9 for EDC.

Im thinking i want a larger caliber for the home and possibly change my EDC someday. I just wanted some thoughts on going to .40 or .45. Im not a big guy...only 5'9"and 170lbs. Which is smoother to shoot{less recoil} Cost of ammo is not a huge deal since i only shoot 10 or 12 times a year.
    Any pros and cons.
    I did a search and found nothing but maybe i wasnt typing it in right
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Welcome.

There are lots of threads about what is the best caliber but none of them will give you a definitive answer because the Caliber War has never been won. I personally am a fan of 9mm and .45 ACP. Never liked the snappy recoil of the .40, but if that was all I had I wouldn't feel underarmed or anything.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

40 or 45. Both will get the job done. Depending on the gun, a 40 will probaly be somewhat thinner in the grip which will fit smaller hands better. Just depends on what ya like better.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    First post for you...welcome. Excellent question as well. And both calibers are more than capable for self defense. Since I'm on my first cup o' joe, this'll be simple mined. Brad426 is correct, the 40 has a muzzle flip recoil and a lot of shooters don't care for it, myself included. I prefer the "push" recoil of a 45. But you'll find that there plenty of 40 die hards among us and I'm moving towards that camp. I also have a Shield, in 40. Due to design ergonomics or my disposition or whatever, I don't experience the muzzle flip in this gun that I have in others. Both me and the Shield prefer 180 gr ammo (I asked it). There's probably going to be a fair amount of response to your post so I'll just get another cup and watch.
    CharlesMorri likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Do what you did before.. rent a few of each caliber and see what you like and handle well. All the calibers will get the job done it's just what works for you in your hand.

I'm a 9mm/45acp guy myself. The .45 may recoil less, but I don't have a lot of experience with .40 S&W's. If I was starting from scratch and only had one semi-auto, I might go with a 40. But seeing how you are already vested in 9mm, a jump to .45 would give you the bigger round. I'd just bide my time if I were you until a deal you really like falls into your lap, 40 or 45.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." ~ Mark Twain

Rent & shoot both on the same platform, if possible, then decide which you like best. IMHO, find the gun that has the ergonomics that fit your hand best, THEN look at caliber.
    mano3 likes this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Just stick with 9mm, buy a Glock 17(or other full size 9mm) for home defense, put a light on it, and some recommended quality ammo.

Saying that I have a Glock 30sf I use for CCW and home defense.
    --Jason--

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

Either caliber will do what you want. The dynamics of the recoil of the 2 calibers is different. The .40 recoil tends flip the muzzle upward, making it feel harsher. Due to a wrist injury, I had to retire my .40's. The muzzle flip tended to aggravate it. The .45 recoil is more of a push back into your hand. Most people prefer it to the snap of the .40.

You'll need to try both to see what works out best for you.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

you have to get a 40. it's in the Geneva Convention.

seriously though, it doesn't matter that much. I have a home defense 40 upstairs and a home defense 45 downstairs. and I carry a 9. I shoot them all just fine. any increase in recoil can be negated with minimal range time so just find one you like with the features you want and shoot the crap out if it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Shoot both, then pick the one you prefer. I can tell you this, I've had the unfortunate privilige to stare down the business end of a .45. Needless to say, I was impressed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have a sr40c and really like it. I haven't really noticed any flip or harsh recoil with it. I used to shoot the .45 in Army composition but it was a long time ago.

Everyone is right about the kick of the 40. I have a Glock 23 and Love it but spent lots of range time in shooting and double taps to keep on target. You have a fabulous gun in the that SR9C and I have thought about one myself..
    The MOST important thing is YOU keeping it on target...go rent both at a range see what ya like the best and what YOU shoot the best..Then practice practice practice and then practice some more...The 9mm and both 40 & 45 will do the job but YOU have to be able to keep shots center mass.. I read this somewhere..

Controlled Pair => is the term I like best for shooting your target twice. A double-tap is just pulling the trigger twice and not worrying about aiming the 2nd shot or dealing with muzzle flip. So "Controlled Pair" is the term I prefer to use.

Nothing is set in stone in combat. The situation does dictate your response. That being said, its always good to have a plan before getting into trouble. No matter how rudimentary that plan may be.

1 vs 1:
    Plan A => fire a controlled pair
    Plan B => fire a single shot to the target's cranial ocular cavity
    Plan C => refer to Plan B

1 vs Many:
    Plan A => fire a single shot at each target; priority depends on which target has a higher threat rating compared to other targets; priority #1 may be the ring leader of group; when you're outnumbered, you don't have time to fire a controlled pair at each target
    Plan B => fire a single shot to any target's cranial ocular cavity who did not stop their attack

Those are my two plans. Simple but effective and allows flexibility because there are no specifics. KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

To those who just say, "Shoot until he drops." Be careful. You WILL have to justify in a court of law -- both criminal and civil -- for each and every bullet that leaves your barrel.

It always makes me cringe seeing a law-abiding citizen in court defending himself why his target was riddled with 20 bullet holes. You may regret your decision for "shooting until he drops". Because that action makes you look like a blood, thirsty animal who was out of control.

I pray I never have to get into a gunfight. But if I do, my statements in court would be along the lines of...

"After the attacker ignored my warnings and display of firearm, I fired a controlled pair. But the attacker continued his assault despite his injuries and warnings. So I had no choice to fire my third and final shot to his cranial ocular cavity before the attacker killed or grievously injured myself and my loved ones."
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

Quote Originally Posted by SATCHMO1960 View Post
    Everyone is right about the kick of the 40. I have a Glock 23 and Love it but spent lots of range time in shooting and double taps to keep on target. You have a fabulous gun in the that SR9C and I have thought about one myself..
    The MOST important thing is YOU keeping it on target...go rent both at a range see what ya like the best and what YOU shoot the best..Then practice practice practice and then practice some more...The 9mm and both 40 & 45 will do the job but YOU have to be able to keep shots center mass.. I read this somewhere..

Controlled Pair => is the term I like best for shooting your target twice. A double-tap is just pulling the trigger twice and not worrying about aiming the 2nd shot or dealing with muzzle flip. So "Controlled Pair" is the term I prefer to use.

Nothing is set in stone in combat. The situation does dictate your response. That being said, its always good to have a plan before getting into trouble. No matter how rudimentary that plan may be.

1 vs 1:
    Plan A => fire a controlled pair
    Plan B => fire a single shot to the target's cranial ocular cavity

1 vs Many:
    Plan A => fire a single shot at each target; priority depends on which target has a higher threat rating compared to other targets; priority #1 may be the ring leader of group; when you're outnumbered, you don't have time to fire a controlled pair at each target
    Plan B => fire a single shot to any target's cranial ocular cavity who did not stop their attack

Those are my two plans. Simple but effective and allows flexibility because there are no specifics. KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

To those who just say, "Shoot until he drops." Be careful. You WILL have to justify in a court of law -- both criminal and civil -- for each and every bullet that leaves your barrel.

It always makes me cringe seeing a law-abiding citizen in court defending himself why his target was riddled with 20 bullet holes. You may regret your decision for "shooting until he drops". Because that action makes you look like a blood, thirsty animal who was out of control.

I pray I never have to get into a gunfight. But if I do, my statements in court would be along the lines of...

"After the attacker ignored my warnings and display of firearm, I fired a controlled pair. But the attacker continued his assault despite his injuries and warnings. So I had no choice to fire my third and final shot to his cranial ocular cavity before the attacker killed or grievously injured myself and my loved ones."
    I'd vote to convict if you said "cranial ocular cavity".
    DubH00 and CharlesMorri like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Yeah I agree..I shot him in the head sounds better....I like...I felt my life was in danger and I stopped the threat
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links