3" bl .357 wheelguns?

This is a discussion on 3" bl .357 wheelguns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Who makes a compact-frame .357 with a 3" barrel? I'm seeing the Ruger SP101 and the S&W Model 60 as the only two options right ...

Thread: 3" bl .357 wheelguns?

3" bl .357 wheelguns?

Who makes a compact-frame .357 with a 3" barrel? I'm seeing the Ruger SP101 and the S&W Model 60 as the only two options right now...am I missing someone?

AX

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    Who makes a compact-frame .357 with a 3" barrel? I'm seeing the Ruger SP101 and the S&W Model 60 as the only two options right now...am I missing someone?

AX
    When I was looking for a decent revolver I opted for the S&W 686P instead of the Ruger SP101...the 686P is an L frame, medium sized piece that isnt that hard to conceal under something as light as a windbreaker. She has a 2.5" barrel which some say is a beast with most 357 loads. Check out the Model 605 by Taurus or 617. The 617 is a 7 shot like my 686P.
    "SEPIUS EXERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATER INFINITAS"

A man who has no patriotic feeling is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Some S&W 640s have 3 inch barrel

The S&W model 640 is a small frame, 5 shot .357 magnum all steel revolver with enclosed hammer in the "Centennial" style. Normally the revolver comes with a 2-1/8 inch barrel, but some have been made with 3 inch barrels, and you will see them for sale sometimes on the used market. I don't think S&W currently offers the 640 in that barrel length, but you can have it done by the S&W custom shop.

Here is an auction on Gunbroker for one of these:
    S&W 640 with 3 inch barrel

I have a 686 with the 2 1/2" barrel. It is very accurate and by no means difficult to handle. Sometimes cheaper is better. I use CCI Blazers .357 and they are super accurate and I shoot mostly one hand. The CCI is also the least objectionable in my .44 mag. S&W had a limited run performance center combat 66 with a 3" compensated barrel that felt superb in hand but I never shot one.

Ruger Won

I went through this a couple of months back. The S&W seemed pretty pricey, and, after comparing a Taurus with the Ruger side by side, the Ruger won. It is heavy compared to both the Taurus and the S&W but it is a joy to shoot! I carry it in a Bianchi IWB clip holster out of sight and out of mind. I had the opportunity to shoot a titanium framed 357 hammerless this weekend and wouldn't own one on a bet. Terrible recoil! Far worse than my Charter Bulldog 44 Spl. with 200 gr RNFP at slightly over 900 fps. I put a Hogue monogrip on the Ruger and think it will be a very long time before I find something I like as well or better. My favorite is still my 1911 Combat Commander!

I have an adjustable sighted S&W Model 60 3", also have a few 3" K frame .357s and a 686 CS-1 3".

They are hard to beat if you can conceal them.

I've got a custom S&W Mod. 65 with a 3" inch heavy barrel. Though the 65 is a "K" frame it's easy to carry conceal and it does give +1 extra round over the "J" frame or the Ruger SP101. The little extra weight also makes the .357 a lot easier to control.

If I get time tomorrow I'll take a picture of it and post it.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by stmichps; October 4th, 2006 at 12:41 PM.

Thanks for all the input, guys.

Something is making me think Ruger made a GP100 in a 3" at one time.

I have owned a 3" Rossi .38spl. for many years and must say I really like the 3" barrel. Great compromise. Long enough tube to gain some velocity over snubs and have a better sight radius, but short enough to be concealable.
    I like 3" barrels on revolvers.

Here's one for you

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post

AX
    How about a 327 PC from S and W -----8 rounds!! of 357 -2 inch brrl and only 21ounces >>>>>>>>>>>>>>WOW -but pricey

Well, I just got legal counsel from my agency, and I've gotta carry my duty weapon if I carry off-duty (agency policy is independent of HR218) if I don't want the agency to jam me up if I ever end up using the weapon...

So it's a SIG on the hip forevermore. (Not really a problem. I like it and can conceal it super-easily...just thought something lighter would be nicer sometimes. And I just like revolvers.)

MD

Links