For You Glockies!

This is a discussion on For You Glockies! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Among my choices are the LC9, Shield 9, and the G26. For my second question, out of those three listed, which do you think is ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: For You Glockies!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Among my choices are the LC9, Shield 9, and the G26. For my second question, out of those three listed, which do you think is the best?"

Best? All three of your choices are 9mm so as far as caliber there's no difference. I think all 3 have been proven to be reliable, so "best" is what you prefer. No one can tell you what is best for your hand. Naturally any double stack is going to feel wider when compared to a single stack, but best? What's best is one that you shoot well. You can train to overcome all else: fit, capacity, sights, controls, etc.
    Old School likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

Pick up a Glock-36, you'll get the feel for a single stack Glock.
    Old School likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

While i am sure that the LC9 and the Sheild are made from quality material, the Glock just feels better made to me. Like I said I am sure this is just perception. I dont like the feeling of the material on the grip of the M@P line.

IMG_0193.jpgI'm an LCP carrier and medium sized guy at 5'9" with medium sized hands and the G23 and G27 (both .40's) feel very good in my hand. I happen to have a pic I took of my G23, G27 and LCP, and also, if helpful, I found this chart on the Glock site to be handy. Full Line of Pistols | GLOCK USA
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

I bought a Glock model 22 in 1990 in the first weeks they came out. That was back in my younger days when you had to be first out of the gate with the newest thing. It is a butt-ugly gun, but it fit my ham hands well, and has always been a great shooting gun. I only carried it for a few years before downsizing to something more compact, but I still have the old girl and it's a lot of fun to take it to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    your father used the same G22 for 17 years before retiring and now still carries it daily
    there's your answer.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    The G36 is a sweet gun. Many people swear the G19 is the perfect gun, but for carry I'd take the G36 over the G19 any day.

I've shot both of them and it just seems to me that for the accuracy you can get with a .45 in your hand when shooting the 36, why not use the bigger bullet? I have a G17 and no other Glocks, but I can see that 36 in my future.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    The G36 is a sweet gun. Many people swear the G19 is the perfect gun, but for carry I'd take the G36 over the G19 any day.

I've shot both of them and it just seems to me that for the accuracy you can get with a .45 in your hand when shooting the 36, why not use the bigger bullet? I have a G17 and no other Glocks, but I can see that 36 in my future.
    The 19 and 36 are apples and oranges, but to answer your question, the .45 is no more accurate than the 9mm, and ammo costs about eight bucks a box more. Then, there is that whole magazine capacity thing. I carry both a 19 and a 17, and would not trade them for any other edc handguns.
    wmhawth and bigmacque like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Of the three you mention, the Glock 26 and the Shield both have way better triggers than the LC9. I had an LC9 for about 2 weeks before I sold it. I owned a Shield but ended up giving it to a family member. This Glock fan thinks the 9mm Shield is a 'very' nice gun, I'm going to get either a Shield or an XDs before next summer.

I personally prefer the 26 - it's shorter and has more ammo. That said, the Shield is nearly a quarter inch thinner and that makes it significantly easier to conceal.

I have both a Glock 19 and a G36 in addition to the G26. I've carried them all, the 36 has a thinner grip and is nearly as easy to conceal as the 26 and easier than the 19 which has a thicker grip.

You pick your pony, take your ride.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by NiceAsh View Post
    the last gun I fired was the Glock 23 .40cal. This one felt right, and had a little better control over the .45s I shot. So, that is what I ended up purchasing. I not have 100 rounds through it and I am really liking it. I am 6'1" 225lbs and I do have large hands, so even some of the single-stack compacts felt small to me.
    Do you have a problem with your middle finger resting on top of instead of in between the finger humps? I also have large hands and own a G23. I got fed up with the finger humps and ground them off. I found that the large frame glocks (G20/21) finger humps fit my hands better.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

You might as well plan on buying at least a half a dozen different ones. You are gonna wind up doing it anyway even though you aren't planning on it now.
    miller_man likes this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The 19 and 36 are apples and oranges, but to answer your question, the .45 is no more accurate than the 9mm, and ammo costs about eight bucks a box more. Then, there is that whole magazine capacity thing. I carry both a 19 and a 17, and would not trade them for any other edc handguns.
    It wasn't really meant to be a comparison, just a comment about carrying .45 over 9mm and relative size. Accuracy is accuracy with a Glock, they're all good, my reference here meant to imply that you can get very accurate with a .45 by carrying a 36 and have a little more horsepower in your hand.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    As former Shield 9 and LC9 owner, I prefer the Baby Glocks.

Although the G31, G32, and G19s are fine for most people, I'd like a smaller package
    for CCW.

My plan is to find a nice Gen 4 Glock 33 in 2013 before I buy a CZ P-09 Duty in April/ May,or
    whenever they are released for the US public.

You can't really go wrong with any Gen 3 or some Gen 4 Glocks.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

My experience is this. The first time I held a Glock I didn't like it. It to was a full size G22. After a few years I got to shoot another Glock. This was a G19. The G19 and 23 are the compact versions of the 17 and 22. I found the 19 felt much better in my hands than the 22. What I noticed is the full size has a more pronounced hup on the grip than the compacts. I now have a G30SF and plan on getting a G19 for when I want something slimmer. the 19 and the 30 are easy to conceal. The other nice thing is taht you can use larger mags for reloads. I use G21 mags for the reloads on my 30. If you don't like how the full size feels take a look at the compacts.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to try and find a local range that has a G26 or G27 to rent. Something tells me I will be purchasing either of those in the future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links