For You Glockies!

For You Glockies!

This is a discussion on For You Glockies! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Glockies. I hope you Glock fans are fine with me calling you guys that! I do have a question for you, so let's see ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: For You Glockies!

For You Glockies!

Hello Glockies. I hope you Glock fans are fine with me calling you guys that! I do have a question for you, so let's see if you can help.

I have pretty much zero experience with Glocks, aside from holding my dad's G22, his old work gun, a few times. His was one of the first models released in the early 90's and has the 2-dot rear sights. Now, the few times I handled the gun, the thing felt huge! My gun that I carry daily and use regularly at the range is my mighty LCP. While that gun is small, it feels good in my hand.

My question is, are all Glocks essentially built on the same frame? What I mean is do they all have that wide feeling to them? I can only assume that it is due to the double stack magazine? Am I answering my own question?

While I love my LCP, I will get something bigger both caliber wise and in physical size when my funds permit. Among my choices are the LC9, Shield 9, and the G26. For my second question, out of those three listed, which do you think is the best? While I like Ruger, the Shield 9 looks very good and the Glock reliability and name might be hard to surpass. When you live in a family where your father used the same G22 for 17 years before retiring and now still carries it daily, to me it is hard to trust another brand.

Like to hear your replies/opinions!

Get out there rent and shoot them if you can.
    Don't write off the M&P, XD, or Kahr lines until you hold and shoot them. I have smaller hands and prefer the XD and M&P for how they feel to me.

All of the ones you listed would be fine SD weapons, and there are quite a few choices within a very reasonable budget.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

you'll need to try them all. and there has been a few minor changes to the Glocks since your dad was issued his. I'd pick the the one you shoot better that had the options you like. for me that's normally a Glock. no external safety, no internal lock, no mag disconnect and zero problems so far with a G19, G26, and G21. the 45 and 10mm Glocks are a little thicker. there is also a single stack 45acp Glock that's relatively thin (G36). your other selections are fine weapons also. have fun with your gun hunt.

VIP Member
    First off you are talking about a full size Glock in a G22. Pick up a Gen 4 G26/G27 or G23/G19 without a back strap and see how it feels. I don't have huge hands and they fit very well. They are a different world then that LCP you are carrying, though now I can say I like Ruger that one of the models that have a terrible trigger and feel cheap.

As far as M&P, I love them and highly endorse them as well. Shoot them and figure out for yourself.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Model 36 is single stack

As mentioned above, there is one single stack Glock, the model 36 in .45 caliber, that isn't very wide at all. I just measured mine, and it is about 1 inch thick in both slide and grip.

ccman, bigmacque and Old School like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I spent some time at an indoor range last month trying to answer that same question. I fired a KAHR, S&W, Springfield and a couple different Glocks, in 9mm, .40 and .45 calibers. I felt the baby Glock (30) was too small, the last gun I fired was the Glock 23 .40cal. This one felt right, and had a little better control over the .45s I shot. So, that is what I ended up purchasing. I not have 100 rounds through it and I am really liking it. I am 6'1" 225lbs and I do have large hands, so even some of the single-stack compacts felt small to me.

Photo%u00252520Sep%252025%252C%25206%252048%252015%2520PM.jpg
    "

Glocks are available in at least 6 or 7 different frame sizes.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Of the three you mentioned for a primary carry weapon I would take the G26 hands down. The single stacks IMO are more a bug. With the G26 you have a very concealable easy to carry double stack. Keep a couple spare G17 mags and the 26 can fill the role of home defense also. I also used to think the Glocks felt wide...until I got my hands on a G22 Gen 4 with no back strap. Feels so much better than my old Gen 3s.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    Glockers shoot Glocks. Glockees are on the receiving ends of those shots.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

There is simply no equal to the Glock 26 when it comes to firepower vs size and weight. Period. If you can carry it concealed, get one and don't look back.

Personally, I think the "wide feeling" amounts to nothing. I have a Glock 30 (double stack .45) and it feels thick to me...until I shoot it. Then it feels...amazing...to have that many rounds of .45 in a pistol that is relatively small and light with so little felt recoil.

In other words - you cannot judge by simply holding them at the gun counter. You need to shoot them.

Good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

The baby glocks (26 in 9mm and 27 in 40s&w) are staggered, double stack pistols, but their stocks really arn't that large. I believe they are the built using the same frame and are 1.18inches thick. For comparison, I carry a Sig Sauer P220 in 45acp. It's a single stack 45acp pistol. The grips on my Glock 26 and my Sig fit my hand in a very similar way. Now, some of the Glocks do get large. I also have a Glock30sf in 45acp. It's another double stack pistol....this time in 45acp. The stock is much larger than my Glock 26. The only way you can find what fits you is to go to your local gun store and hold a few handguns. Everyone has different opinions on what feels best in the hand. Some folks don't like the grip angle on Glocks.....that never really bothered me.

I have two Glock 26's and carry one daily. It is hard to beat the G26 for daily carry and home defense.
    GunTrooper likes this.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Glocks are thick. SIGs are even thicker, but I carry them IWB all the time. If I can do that with a SIG, it can easily be done with a Glock, or an M&P.

You will do yourself proud with a 26. I need one myself, or maybe the 33 my local guy has.......

Got a refurbished,police issue glock .22 on layaway. Light enough weight wise to carry everyday. Reliable enough to carry forever. Also, the g19 w/ the extended pinky grip is short and sweet

Go out try lots of guns. See what fits you. Do not write off a size or a manufacturer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links