most sought after discontinued defensive handguns???

This is a discussion on most sought after discontinued defensive handguns??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seecamp .380...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: most sought after discontinued defensive handguns???

Administrator
    Seecamp .380
    WonderBra likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

1851 Navy revolver.
    Tayopo likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    They are back in production now.
    I know they had a limited run a while back but I haven't seen anything about them being back in production and I haven't seen a new one in any of the 12 or so stores I frequent in a long, long time.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by tooldawg99 View Post
    +1 on the S&W 3rd Generation pistols:

the S&W 3913, 3914, 3953 (DAO) are among the best ever made. Single stack 9mm: flat, thin, concealable, and dead-on-nuts accurate and dependable. Apparently S&W engineers and designers were about 20 years ahead of the industry!
    Took the words right out of my mouth.

Also a fan of the Shorty Forty.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Python
    scgunlover1 likes this.

Defensive Revolvers

There are a couple of out of production defensive revolvers that seem to be rather scarce and selling for a premium. One is the S&W model 66 with 3 inch barrel. Most model 66 snubbies are 2.5 inches, and these are generally available, selling in the $500 range. But S&W made a few runs of model 66s with 3.0 inch barrels, and these sell in the $700 range. The half inch of barrel seems to make a big difference to snubby buyers. My 3-inch model 66 shown below was purchased for $500 from a seller who thought the barrel length was 2.5 inches. When I got the gun home I measured it, and the barrel was 3 inches.

Another desirable and fairly scarce revolver is the Colt Detective Special, which came in 2 inch barrel (standard) and 3 inch barrel (rare). These 6 shot guns were discontinued about 1995, but were known for their trigger pull, finish and reliability. Today a good specimen can sell in the $500 to $600 range, much more than their original pricing. Mine shown below was purchased new in 1993 for under $300.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    H&k p7m8
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

I suppose the 1907 Luger .45ACP would rank on the list of discontinued, desirable, rare handguns. Not exactly practical, but highly sought after.
    Tayopo likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Let's not leave out the Ruger 6 series guns.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    S&W 3rd Gens in any caliber. As the LEOs turn them in for Glocks (or whatever) the public is snatching them up. I've got two.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Unfortunately the Sig 228 that is coming on the market is not a true 228. If you want a true 228 you need to find a used one. The new 228 is an M11A1 and it has a 229 slide on it.

I was thinking more along the lines of practical defensive guns that manufacturers decided to replace or "improve" with an inferior product. Just because it is old does not mean it is bad. But everyone wants the new super hot cool kid stuff.

.45 Luger is somewhat pricey...

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I suppose the 1907 Luger .45ACP would rank on the list of discontinued, desirable, rare handguns. Not exactly practical, but highly sought after.
    Unfortunately the .45 Luger is a little out of my price range and only two of them are known to exist in the world. One sold for $1 million in 1980, and the other sold for $490,000 in 2010.

A handgun treasure at half the price - Los Angeles Times

bmcgilvray and Tayopo like this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    Gen3 Glocks

VIP Member
    I have seen a bunch here I agree with. I'll add guns I am looking for that I haven't seen listed yet. (some I have, I just want another!)

S&W 669
    S&W 59
    S&W 66 with 4 in barrel
    Colt Trooper
    S&W 945
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

The three inch 66 is very popular because a 2.5" barrel has the "snub nosed" ejector rod which can from time to time have hangups with ejecting spent casings especially 357. With the 3" barrels it has a full sized ejector rod much like a 4" barrel and thus gives you a little more length to assure all casings are ejected. The balance is also better on a 3" barrel gun compaired to a 2.5". As silly as it sounds that is what many precieve as a reason to look for the 3" barrels. I love the look of a 3" gun. With that said I have a 2.5" until they ever decide to bring back the 3" 66's which I doubt will ever happen. Although I do see smith is offering more 3" Lframes than they have in the past.
    Echo_Four likes this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links