Question about Ruger LCR revolvers - Page 2

Question about Ruger LCR revolvers

This is a discussion on Question about Ruger LCR revolvers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have Ruger LCR in 357 but I shoot 38 special +P. It works well. I have sold LCR since it had more recoil with ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Ruger LCR revolvers

I have Ruger LCR in 357 but I shoot 38 special +P. It works well. I have sold LCR since it had more recoil with the same loads.
    Calibers? 9 mm is good, 40 sw even better, 357 mag and we can go on and on and on.
    Choose what you like and fits you. In my opinion 38 special and 9 mm are great self defense calibers for small weapons.
    Have fun, Vodek

Bob:

I will carry an LCR (38) when I chose not to carry my Glock 36. I never feel I am sacrificing anything meaningful when I do so. It just slips into pockets so nicely, and carries well. Additionally, the LCR is typically my wife's EDC. She developed some hand problems and the Glock 26 got a wee bit problematic for her, and the LCR was the solution.

So, having said that, you've forgotten more about guns and ammo than I'll ever know, so I'll leave you to your own devices.

If I had a choice (she won the LCR in an NRA Auction) I would get it in the 357 chambering.

Hope you're enjoying the fall!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

More is better. I would get the LCRs but find a way to make them .357.

I think carrying two LCRs would be just about the perfect CCW for anyone outside of a war zone. I love mine in .38 - it came from the factory with the excellent CT Lasergrips. It is my current off-duty EDC, backed up by a LCP. Next year (so as to not upset the CFO ) I might get another and carry two of them myself.

Sounds like you can choose anything out of Ruger's rather extensive catolog. If the LCR isn't your cup o'tea, choose something else.

As far as the LCR goes - I use 158 gr SWCs in mine. Recoil is tame; follow-up shots are quick; the trigger is excellent (but I'm no trigger snob - I also own two LCPs); it is light weight; the sights are useable; the accuracy is there; etc. Really - I'm not sure what else you could need in a snubbie revolver. I see no reason to get the heavier .357 version. SWCs in .38 will penetrate deeply and cut a full-caliber hole...again, not sure what else you could want, unless you want to shoot through barriers like car doors or something.

Some folks are hung up on looks and the use of plastic. Of course, same was said of Glock. Personally, I don't care as long as it goes bang and eats whatever I feed it. After having pocket 9's give me fits, the LCR is a revelation. No more testing various loads to see if they will feed; no more proofing every magazine; no more concerns about recoil springs wearing out. You get the idea.

I say go for it. You might end up liquidating a bunch of the other guns in the safe.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I guess I am going to go with the gimmick answer and say shoot one when you get it and if you like it keep 1 or both, and if you don't like it then trade them in for something else.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

to sell , trade, or keep .

I picked up my LCR 38 Special+P awhile back , I think its an awesome gun ! it may seem "snappy" to some but your asking as a cc gun, I dont think there is a person out there that can change my mind as far as right choice for that.

I would keep at least one of the LCRs. They are easy to carry, accurate, reliable, simple and a pleasure to shoot.

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Light to carry and a super smooth trigger.

Just add a High Noon holster or two and some good ammo.

My guns liked the 110 and 125 gr. loads over the 158s for recoil reduction.

Even with the heavier +Ps, you don't get the feel of a chunk of steel slapping your palm.

You might like them so much that you will keep them.

However, I'd get the KLCR .357 version and the 38+P.

My next revolver will be the .357 Magnum LCR.

I've owned SP-101s and a Speed Six.

Nothing can touch a LCR!

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/Rugers/

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/b...%20LCP%20PICS/

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/b...%20LCP%20PICS/

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/b...ON-RUGER-2011/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links