Question about Ruger LCR revolvers

This is a discussion on Question about Ruger LCR revolvers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok gang. I have a question for all of you. I know, I know, another boring post, but I am in a quandry about it. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok gang. I have a question for all of you. I know, I know, another boring post, but I am in a quandry about it.
    So, here it goes. Most of you know I work for a large Gun Shop in the southern Maine area. Every year, we have a Ruger promo where we earn points toward ne Ruger guns Ruger® Rapid Retail Rewards Program - 4R Program
    Well, I earned 250 points for 33 guns I sold, and opted for 2 LCR 38 +P revolvers free of charge from Ruger. I've heard the great, good, bad, and down right ugly about these guns, and would like some help, in whether keep them, based on your feedback, or just take a trade-in price (about 325.00 each) for the guns toward anything else, including used guns (my favorite) as I think I will do better, and get the most bang for my buck. The rugers sell retail for 449.95 each.
    Sooooooooooo lets hear it. If I trade em in, I'm game for anything USED in handguns. I'm NOT looking to start a caliber war, or anything like that. Just tell me what you'd recommend, why, and the way it feels/hides when you carry it
    I'm hoping this thread might help others who are on the fence about a EDC gun.
    Note: I have a huge array of guns now, no bragging on my part, but I'm just like anybody else, I have a sickness for more.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I have all 3 versions of the LCR. Love them. The .38 is my favorite CC gun. It wears a set of Eagle rosewood grips, and rides in a Don Hume JIT slide OWB holster. It's light and I forget I have it on sometimes. The grip design, even the stock rubber, is such that the recoil is lighter than any other .38 snub I've ever shot. It's more of a push than a flip. The trigger is butter smooth. Love the LCR's.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I can't tell you what you should do but I can tell you that I am more than happy with my LCR. Very versatile, and it has the best trigger of any revolver of its size. It's definitely a keeper (for me).

I had a 38 LCR. I thought the concept was perfect, but was not that happy with the gun. I agree it has a great trigger. I am not recoil averse, but just did not like the snap on this model. Wife shot two cylinders and said she would not shoot it. Accuracy was not great. Wife and I ended up with each getting an SP101. Absolutely love that gun. To each his own.

I think you're looking for an excuse to trade the new guns; you've read all about them and opted for them as your bonus.

Here's your excuse: I had one and I traded it because I learned the LCR had NO SOUL.

My wife has the LCR .38 and I recently got a killer deal on 2 LC9's. I'm not a really big fan of either gun. The .38 just seems to have too much recoil and the LC9's just weren't my cup of tea. Nothing really wrong with them but I like my .40 a lot better. My wife loved here .38 until she shot the LC9 this weekend. Now she wants to use the LC9 because of the lower recoil. IMO they make a good conceal carry gun. I would trade them in if I were you. I have 2 Walther PPQ .40 and I have no problem concealing them. Love the way they feel and shoot.

Good luck on whatever you do.

Does the LCR have that key lock?
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I like my .38 LCR. The only thing negative about it is that I think the recoil reduction is simply not there. It recoils just as bad as any other J-frame revolver to me. Still, the trigger is great.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Does the LCR have that key lock?
    Sure does. Still a nice gun.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Looking at this, you'll get $650.00 for trade in. Now if I (JMHO) could find say a use H & K P30L V2 in 40 SW or even a P2000 SK V2 in .357 Sig I'd be hard pressed not to do a straight trade, but then again you got LCR for each pocket to go with a carry piece.

All depends on the trade!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I really like my Ruger KLCR, especially shooting .38spl or .38spl+P. As far as accuracy goes, it is very accurate for a snubbie, even at longer distances.(See "nutnfancy" vid during run and gun-interesting). I installed a XS Big Dot on mine which contributes nicely. Great revolver for SD with proper ammo. Maybe trade just one?
    Best Regards,
    "Doc" aka Bill
    SLAINTE VAR!!

I have the Ruger LCR in 38+p and love it! Bought it a couple of years ago and now have about 1,500 rounds through it. For the record, I also own a Smith and Wesson 642 J Frame revolver which I purchased later. To me, the Ruger has it all over the Smith. It has better sights, a better trigger, better grips (Hogue) and weighs less. When I shoot the 642 I have to wear a glove.....it just is unpleasant to shoot. With the Ruger, no problem and I usually will shoot 100 or so each range trip. It's also a quite accurate revolver with practice. The only thing I don't like about the Ruger revolver is the polymer on it.... I know, that's probably partly the reason it is so easy to shoot and also so light. I just prefer all metal handguns. Having said that, whenever I can't carry my normal edc (Sig Sauer P220 Carry), the Ruger LCR is in my pocket. I think it's a great revolver and I haven't had any issues with it. Would never trade or sell mine....

Quote Originally Posted by CPO 15 View Post
    I think you're looking for an excuse to trade the new guns; you've read all about them and opted for them as your bonus.

Here's your excuse: I had one and I traded it because I learned the LCR had NO SOUL.
    I am partially looking for a reason to trade then AND a good/bad/indifferent reason to keep them and transfer them to my 2 sons, (24 and 22 respectivly) who have their CCW Permits.
    They like the Glocks, Sigs, Colts, S&W, and newer semi auto types, but have never really carried a wheel gun. I'm attempting to introduce them to wheel guns (they've shot them but shy away due to lower round count) I keep telling the boys how revolvers are more reliable than semis.
    I'm also asking your help and opinions on a wide array of handguns. I'm NOT trying to lead anybody into a heated discussion here, but also trying to give New members the opportunity to read into OUR thought process, and the resons why WE, as a Forum meet here, and share OUR experience, good bad and indifferent.
    BTW, I got this idea from a Posting by one of our members regarding the hidden handgun in the car question.
    So, there it is, go for it, (I'm NOT being rude here, and attempting to open your own minds and theories) and your reasons why you carry/shoot what you have.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Still don't buy the whole reliability argument and I doubt you're gonna convince your sons about revolvers by just slapping a couple in their closets. Since you already have a lot of guns, I'm betting you've got the 38 airweight category covered and probably all the other stand-bys. That said, I'd go for something "different" and I've got a hankerin' for a G20/G29.

i'd say if your looking for something reliable,light and compact in a concealed carry handgun,the LCR is a top pick,keep them..if you want something more for home defense and range use trade them in..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links