Looking to buy a single stack 9mm. Which one should I get? - Page 4

Looking to buy a single stack 9mm. Which one should I get?

This is a discussion on Looking to buy a single stack 9mm. Which one should I get? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Narrow down the field and spend some time shooting the remaining candidates. What I think doesn't mean much. The Shield was not available when I ...

View Poll Results: Which single stack 9mm to buy?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • S&W Shield with a long wait period

    39 35.45%
  • Ruger LCP

    4 3.64%
  • Sig P290

    1 0.91%
  • Sig P938

    11 10.00%
  • Walther PPS

    18 16.36%
  • Kimber Solo if I can find new for under $600

    1 0.91%
  • Diamondback DB9

    1 0.91%
  • Kel Tec PF9

    3 2.73%
  • Other: Please suggest

    32 29.09%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 59 of 59
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Looking to buy a single stack 9mm. Which one should I get?

  1. #46
    Senior Member Array Caertaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    1,106
    Narrow down the field and spend some time shooting the remaining candidates. What I think doesn't mean much. The Shield was not available when I purchased my PPS but I've heard good things. I am happy with my PPS but some people have issues with the magazine release. These are the kind of dilemmas that make Life fun.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788


  2. #47
    Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Metro Detroit Area
    Posts
    1,716
    I voted S&W Shield... I like them..Only got to handle one not yet shot it..... I also would suggest looking at the Kahr Arms line-up
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

    Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

    If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

  3. #48
    New Member Array WithAnX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2

    +1 for CM9

    Love my CM9, has run flawlessly for 300+ rounds. You can get 7 or 8 round mags and spacers that fit over the mags that extend the full size of the grip. Very comfortable to shoot with the 7 round mag and spacer. I even carry it with the 7rd mag iwb without a problem. I can put in the 6rd mag for pocket carry when needed as well.

  4. #49
    Member Array Skookum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    King Co., WA
    Posts
    52
    I suggest a CZ 2075 RAMI. It is a double stack, but it has a far greater capacity than any single stack. The average cop hits his target in a gunfight only 1 time in 6. Thus, the more ammo the better. Take, for example, the popular Shield -- with one in the spout, a full magazine, and a full spare magazine -- has a capacity of 15 rounds. The probability of hitting your target at least twice (assuming you can shoot as well as the average cop) is 74%. The RAMI -- with one in the spout, a full carry magazine, and a spare 14-round magazine -- has a capacity of 15 rounds. The probability of hitting your target at least twice is now 94%.

    The downside of the RAMI relative to the Shield is minor -- 0.1 in taller (the hardest dimension to conceal) and 0.2 in wider.

  5. #50
    New Member Array muggia59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    sharon pa
    Posts
    5
    Had a keltec. To many issues. Like my lc9. It has been flawless. My xd40 is to balky, and I could not find a shield. Would like to try one of those or a bp9 someday. Good luck. Lots of choices out there.

  6. #51
    Member Array eipo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    190
    I picked up a Sig 938 X today. In addition to really liking the CM9, this Sig is sweet. Ill need to get used to the SA only trigger, but its smooth and no issues hitting the center at 7 yards.

    Apparently Im on a buying spree and Im getting things I actually like. And even though I am more accurate with the XD9sc, I have a feeling it will spend more time in the safe.

  7. #52
    Member Array got2hav1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    292
    CW9 for me. Two have been flawless. Just follow the recommended break in and you will be pleased. Sweet trigger and great sights.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

  8. #53
    Member Array SGFvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    128
    Some of your choices (besides the great post and questions by "10thmtn") are short grips - (pinky swings free)....this is sometimes a large factor to some individuals....is this an issue to you? How many have you held and or shot?.......I have held and shot most on your list......I don't think anything on the list comes close to the PPS......Shield would be a distant 2nd or third.......for me. Goodl luck.
    Dont shop the "cheap aisle" for a carry gun.

  9. #54
    Member Array troutkiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    175
    An other vote for Bersa BP9cc. About the same size as a CW9, a better trigger, and an extra magazine instead of the one that comes with a CW9. I'd definitely get a good holster though; a short, sensitive trigger has its downside (a greater risk of negligent discharge) and requires an appropriate holster.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." ~ Mark Twain

  10. #55
    VIP Member Array 9MMare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Outside Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    I suggest a CZ 2075 RAMI. It is a double stack, but it has a far greater capacity than any single stack. The average cop hits his target in a gunfight only 1 time in 6. Thus, the more ammo the better. Take, for example, the popular Shield -- with one in the spout, a full magazine, and a full spare magazine -- has a capacity of 15 rounds. The probability of hitting your target at least twice (assuming you can shoot as well as the average cop) is 74%. The RAMI -- with one in the spout, a full carry magazine, and a spare 14-round magazine -- has a capacity of 15 rounds. The probability of hitting your target at least twice is now 94%.

    The downside of the RAMI relative to the Shield is minor -- 0.1 in taller (the hardest dimension to conceal) and 0.2 in wider.
    I like that gun alot altho I've never shot it. But it has the same issue as the M&P compact...it's a small brick. Thick and heavy.

    I am definitely shopping single stack myself. And there is a noticeable difference in weight and thickness, IMO it is not negligible.
    Fortune favors the bold.

    Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

    The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

  11. #56
    VIP Member Array 9MMare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Outside Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,309
    I looked at the smaller single stack Sigs last spring when the Shields werent available.

    I dont understand their (Sig) thinking...most of the ones I looked at...shorter barrels, single stack, 9mm...had squared off barrels and sharp edges everywhere. That is not what I'm looking for in a cc weapon.
    Fortune favors the bold.

    Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

    The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

  12. #57
    Member Array eipo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    I looked at the smaller single stack Sigs last spring when the Shields werent available.

    I dont understand their (Sig) thinking...most of the ones I looked at...shorter barrels, single stack, 9mm...had squared off barrels and sharp edges everywhere. That is not what I'm looking for in a cc weapon.
    The 938 I just bought is almost half the weight of my XD9sc, same length barrel and is physically smaller. So aside from the fact I am going from 13 rounds available to 8, its everything Im looking for in a CC pistol. Night sights from the factory to boot. Same thing with the CM9, other than losing another round and no factory night sights.

  13. #58
    VIP Member Array 9MMare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Outside Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3,309
    Quote Originally Posted by eipo View Post
    The 938 I just bought is almost half the weight of my XD9sc, same length barrel and is physically smaller. So aside from the fact I am going from 13 rounds available to 8, its everything Im looking for in a CC pistol. Night sights from the factory to boot. Same thing with the CM9, other than losing another round and no factory night sights.
    Does it have a squared off barrel and other square edges to the gun?
    Fortune favors the bold.

    Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

    The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

  14. #59
    Member Array eipo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    Does it have a squared off barrel and other square edges to the gun?
    Both of them have 90 degree edges on the slide. The Sig slide is a bit radiused on the top, but not much.

    That being said, they are no less squared off than Glock, Springfield, Smith & Wesson et al.

    Sig p938


    CM9
    Attached Images

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

9mm single stack
,

best single stack 9mm

,
cz single stack
,
cz single stack 9mm
,
glock single stack 9mm
,
kahr pm9 vs sig p938
,
p290 vs p938
,
ruger single stack 9mm
,
sig p290 vs shield
,

single stack 9mm

,
single stack 9mm glock
,
single stack glock 9mm
Click on a term to search for related topics.