Walther PPS .40 opinions or recommendations for similar gun

This is a discussion on Walther PPS .40 opinions or recommendations for similar gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a slim pistol that can fit into a large pocket and I''d like to it be chambered in .40 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther PPS .40 opinions or recommendations for similar gun

Walther PPS .40 opinions or recommendations for similar gun

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a slim pistol that can fit into a large pocket and I''d like to it be chambered in .40 s&w. I know that there are disadvantages to pocket carry and there are smaller guns than the PPS that might do better in a pocket, but I'm choosing to pocket carry because my uniform and job duties make IWB carry risky in the sense that it would be easy to expose the gun, I would go so far as to have a seamstress extend my right pocket by an inch or two to accommodate the longer gun and I'm certain that it will fit height wise (relative to the pistol) because I can fit my Glock 30 in the pocket of my pants, it's just to thick to not be obvious. I'm looking for a .40 s&w gun because in addition to my Glock 30 I also have a Glock 22 so it would be nice not to have to add an additional pistol caliber at this time.

Initially I was looking at the S&W M&P shield but with the mag drop problems (that sometimes show up hundred of rounds into the service of the gun) I don't feel I could trust it as a carry gun at this point. So the next option that I came across is the Walther PPS in .40 S&W. I've been searching google and this forum but I can't find any high round count testimonials on the reliability/ durability of the PPS in the .40, just ones regarding the 9mm which seem to be mostly positive.

So, my questions are; Do any of you have any experience with this gun, especially concerning long term durability and reliability? If not is there a similar (slim small) pistol that you would recommend over the PPS? And then secondly; is a pistol in this size range inherently less reliable when chambered in .40? For simplicity and cost of stockpiling ammo, I really want to stick with .40, but if that means I'll be sacrificing reliability/ durability, I'd just bite the bullet and go with a 9mm.

Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy post, I appreciate any responses.

Ace.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Ads

The only ones I can think of right now are the Taurus PT740 and the Kahr PM40. Both are thin and light enough to be compared to the Walther PPS 40. I know some people will say ahh.... its a Taurus, but do not discount them out. The early 1st year PT709's which is the 9mm version had some problems, and those are the ones you read about on the internet look at the dates of most of the post like 2009 and 2010, but now you hardly read or hear any problems with them as they have been out now for a little over 3 years now and they seem to be very reliable and people like them. Also 3 years seem to be long enough to work out the bugs. I think any of the 3 would make a great carry gun !!! I hope this helps. God Bless

FWIW, I purchased the PPS in 9mm after reading countless reviews complaining about a plethora of problems with the PPS 40 cal. (jams, FTF, ejection issues.)

Lead Moderator
    I have really like my PPS 9mm. The only thing I dislike the the mag release is different than my other pistols. When performing fast mag changes I tend to press sideways before realizing I need to press down. I would imagine the S&W will make a fix or someone else will make a aftermarket mag release soon to fix the problem.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have a PPS in 9mm, it's my personal authorized firearm, in addition to mt G-19. Great gun, may purchase a Shield when they become more available and fix the mag bug. For now I'm happy with my PPS, it's been flawless.

I have the PPS in 9mm. I like the PPS a lot but for me, it is just a little too large for pocket carry in an average sized pocket so I prefer my Sig P938 with the 7 round mag for pocket carry.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I really like the ergonomics of the PPS and HK P30. Most people dont like the magazine release on them but for carry, you dont have to worry about accidentally dumping a magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
    I really like the ergonomics of the PPS and HK P30. Most people dont like the magazine release on them but for carry, you dont have to worry about accidentally dumping a magazine.
    My PPS is my only semi auto pistol so the mag release confusion is not relevant for me.

I really like the mag release.

I bought a 9mm PPS 3 yrs. ago. It's accurate, easy to shoot well and totally reliable with any ammo I've put through it, both fmj and jhp.

A great handgun by any measure and one of the most respected pistols on the internet forums. I've read of very few problems with them.

Here's a pic to inspire you.

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    I own a PPS 9mm. I've had two, the first S & W replaced due to some issues with it but the second does shoot like a dream. However as for a pocket gun, unless the back pocket, the draws will be sloooow.

Here is a company that makes pants that have a pocket designed for carring: CCW Breakaways

They ain't cheap! Have both the shorts and pants, but I still go with IWB holster most of the time.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Sig Sauer man ,but bought a 9mm PPS. Hell of a weapon. More accurate than I am. Crisp trigger. Lightweight, concealable. The German fit and finish is impeccable. My EDC. I trust my life on the streets of St. Louis. I have 8+1 capacity and carry a spare mag. Can't imagine where 18 rounds wouldn't get me to a safe place.
    Walther has won me over.
    P220 Carry Sig Sauer goodness. Say hello to my leeeetle friend.

I went through the same search 3 years ago and was torn between the two calibers. I knew a couple of guys that had the .40 PPS and had some issues.....read similar problems on other gun forums regarding the .40 problems. Haven't read much regarding the PPS one way or the other in a while, as it seems like a gun that just never achieved the following it should have. Helped my decision making process when I walked into my local GS and they had the Blue/Gray 9mm model used for $425 LNIB. I've shot about 500 rounds through the gun and have never had an issue. I rarely carry the PPS....I carry the Bersa BP9CC a lot more.

this one is a better shooter and feels mucho better in the hand. Bersa BP9CC. Dimensions are identical to the PPS with an 8+1 mag.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Loved my PPS in 9mm, still probably the favorite handgun I have bought to date. Superb sights, trigger, weight, and reliability...it just felt right.

That's saying a lot considering what I have had, but I would hold off on the .40 and stay with the 9mm. Other than that my suggestions would be if you really do intend to pocket carry this bad boy, there are much better options. It is NOT easy to fit into a pocket, even a tailored pocket. It is just too big to a real pocket gun IMO, far more superior as an inside the waist-band gun.

Which is why I got rid of mine in reality, I'm all about the pocket carry these days.

Side Note: Coltman, what knife is that and how much did it cost ?

Quote Originally Posted by STLRampage View Post
    .... after reading countless reviews complaining about a plethora of problems with the PPS 40 cal. (jams, FTF, ejection issues.)
    I am not sure what gave you this impression, being a subscriber to Walther forum, but I have the PPS 40 and have put over 2000 rds over the last few years and it is flawless. It is my summer EDC choice. My wife initially picked this gun for her use but after taking her carry permit class gave it to me because it was pretty snappy in 40 cal. This is the reason the 9mm is more popular. I also reload in 40 cal and it works fine.
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

Go with a Shield instead. Great ergos and better trigger than the Walther. I've put over 1k rounds with my Shield .40 and have yet to have one of these mag drop issues. I also have several friends who own one and haven't experienced it either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links