Trijicon or XS system

This is a discussion on Trijicon or XS system within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for some real world comparisons between these two night sights. I have the trijicon sights on my XD, but now have a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trijicon or XS system

Trijicon or XS system

I am looking for some real world comparisons between these two night sights. I have the trijicon sights on my XD, but now have a CM9 thats needs to be outfitted. For those that have both and can offer a comparison between them.....

DO you acquire the front sight and what you are aiming at with the XS sights faster than the standard 3 dot trijicon?

How much taller is the front sight between the standard, big dot and the trijicon front blade?

I am happy with whats on my XD and I can put rounds through the same hole.... but dotting the "i" seems like a no brainer.

2. Remove Ads

I have XS Big Dots on my G-19, and my Shield!! Great sight picture for me!!

I have both. I like 3 dots better. It is more accurate for me.
    Vodek

I have both Trijicon on a Colt and XS on my Glock G19. Now that i am older, i prefer the XS Big Dot!

I'm having this same discussion / decision making process going on right now. I really want to give the big dots a try, but I keep reading different comments on how they aren't well suited for anything beyond bad breath distances. James Yeager and Jeff Bloovman both give XS sights glowing recommendations, but in all fairness, those guys could probably super glue rocks to the top of the slide and out shoot a good number of people.

I've got XS Big Dots on both a G26 and G19...The OP asked :

"DO you acquire the front sight and what you are aiming at with the XS sights faster than the standard 3 dot trijicon?

How much taller is the front sight between the standard, big dot and the trijicon front blade?"

The target acquisition is VERY VERY quick with XS Big Dots. And for sure, can be used beyond "bad breath" distance. You don't have to be a Yeager to hit a target at distance. Most average shooters should be good to go at 25 yards and in with no problems...The height of the front site is irrelevant. I have NOT had to modify any of my holsters for the Big Dot. Yes, "dotting the i" is a no brainer!!! JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member
    I've been kicking around which sights to get, was between warren tatical and XS big dots, think I've finally decided to go XS big dots.
    I watched as many you tube videos as possible for each and finally got a good idea of what each looked like. I found a really good video a guy recorded on his iphone, he's pinging a steel target with XS sights at about ten yards - it gave me a real good picture for seeing the sights and seeing them in action. I was sold after seeing it, big dot is so easily seen.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Well, I decided on the XS sights. Ordered this morning but they are out of stock for about 4 weeks. Gonna call Kahr in the AM to see if they have them in stock. Otherwise Ill go with the 3 dot trijicons.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bbmclain View Post
    I have XS Big Dots on my G-19, and my Shield!! Great sight picture for me!!
    Did you put on the XS sights yourself for the Shield? If so, was it easy/hard to do?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eipo View Post
    Well, I decided on the XS sights. Ordered this morning but they are out of stock for about 4 weeks. Gonna call Kahr in the AM to see if they have them in stock. Otherwise Ill go with the 3 dot trijicons.
    Why would you decide one and then go with the other? Just because one is in stock? Sounds like it really didn't matter than.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Why would you decide one and then go with the other? Just because one is in stock? Sounds like it really didn't matter than.
    I am happy with the 3 dot set-up. It works well for me. However, I like to try new things and the XS sights look neat. Not neat enough to wait a month over getting something I know works for me.

ETA:

Some of this is a result of customer service as well. The message I received from them gave me 1 option when I was informed of the status of their stock... That my order would ship when they received stock. No other option.... No mention of another item, a refund etc. Just that they will hold onto my $120 and I can wait. There was no mention on their site that this particular part number was out of stock, so a message to me around their closing time, almost 12 hours after the order was placed, I find unsatisfactory.

Do I recognize that I am a PITA customer? Yes. But $120 doesn't come easy. As a customer and a small business owner living in a digital world, there is no reason I could not have been informed of their stock earlier than the end of the day where an alternate decision could be made in regards to handling it. I work a full time job and still have the ability to not let an order or inquiry from my customers go longer than 5 minutes without being addressed.

Id still like to try the big dot, but Ill get it direct from Kahr if I can. If not, Ill go with what I am used to.

Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    Did you put on the XS sights yourself for the Shield? If so, was it easy/hard to do?
    I did not, sent the slide to them and had the sights installed. Turn around was less than 1 week!!! But I did install the Big Dots on my Glock......simple.

VIP Member
    Your mind is made up, but I'll weigh in for someone that may come across this in a search in the future.

I've used both styles (and too many others to count) and both are quality sights that will get the job done. The big dots are super fast. When I put them on it reminded me of when I first put a red dot on a rifle. And out to about 25 yards they work well. When it goes beyond that I notice a significant drop in accuracy. I still get hits at 50 yards but there's no grouping at all. With traditional sights I'm able to hold a group at that distance without much trouble other than a shooter induced flyer. It may be a lack of skill on my part, or it may be the system itself, I'm not sure.

For that reason my duty guns are wearing traditional sights. (Meprolights at the moment) But I did just buy a Baby Glock that I'm thinking about putting the big dot on.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Echo,

Do you think the drop in accuracy is due to the physical size of the front sight?

I have both.

The Trijicon is outstanding, but the XS big dot system is faster target acquisition in combat compared to a three dot system. The 3 dot system is naturally going to be greater accuracy, but your mind takes more time to align three objects than two. Plain and simple. With three dots you have to place three dots in a row, with XS you just "dot the i."

I guess your decision will hinge on whether you value fast target acquisition of fine accuracy more. With the XS system I am on target and can easily hit center mass every shot while with the 3 dots I am more precise. I would definitely favor a 3 dot system if you are in a target shooting match (IDPA...)

Honestly, I prefer a laser over night sights, but train like it is not there because you never know when it will fail just like any other device.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links