It HURTS

This is a discussion on It HURTS within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nope, I didn't put a hole in any of my body parts. I tend to carry an SAO cocked and locked. Well, something has gone ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: It HURTS

VIP Member

It HURTS

Nope, I didn't put a hole in any of my body parts.

I tend to carry an SAO cocked and locked.

Well, something has gone wrong with my rt thumb, an infection. The treatment was like torture as the Nurse Practitioner dug the crud from my finger tip and nail bed.

Got home with a thick bandage on my thumb, lots of pain, and reached in the dresser for my carry pistol.

OUCH!! No way was that hammer going to be cocked by my damaged and bandaged thumb--- at least not safely and without excruciating pain.

Just something else to think about when selecting a new toy. A lesson learned the hard way.
    bigmacque and tcox4freedom like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    There's actually a lot of things that could come from this discussion: off-hand shooting, practice with different guns, different carry weapons .... lots we could talk about with this scenario.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Smith & Wesson 640, anyone? It's known as the weapon of choice for thumbless shooters. Well, not really, I made that up.
    Curious, do you have a backup that you have swtiched to while you recover? DA autoloader in the collection?

And sorry about that thumb. Hope you have a full recovery soon.

VIP Member
    Definitely food for thought.

I currently don't carry any SAO.

Hop, I trust you have, and will be able to carry another pistol more favorable to your situation, & also hope you heal quickly!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    That stinks hope you get better soon. In the interim, maybe it's time for a snubbed?

Off hand was my first thought too. Borrow a lefty holster from someone for a while. Hopefully your SAO has a ambi-safety.

Heal up fast!

Can you say, Glock? I knew that you could.

....ya see Gaston designed them for those with or without thumbs, so it should fit the bill here.

seriously, sorry about the thumb, but just what exactly has your thumb been doing lately that you don't know about?
    C hawk Glock and DIRO305 like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    FNP 9mm DAO smooth long trigger no thumb necessary... Sorry to read about your issue hope you get well soon
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I ran something under my left thumb nail a couple of days ago, and still have not figured out what. It happens. Bad luck on infection, though.

I'm puzzled, though. How often are you going to be cocking your handgun under pressure? Two hand hold when firing? Use the off hand to cock?

Looks like it is time for an LEM P30. Totally ambidextrous and no hammet to worry about.

Ouch! Make sure you keep it clean. Don't let your dressing get nasty. Triple-antibiotic ointment is your best friend. Take a multivitamin and get plenty of sleep - a healthy body makes for a healthy immune system and you'll get better faster.

Blah blah blah. Okay I'm taking my nurse hat off.

I just bought a new SAO with no ambi safety....I hope I don't run into this issue!

Get better soon!
    oneshot likes this.

I went through that fun about 2 months ago...nail bed infection on my trigger finger of my dominant hand. It was pretty miserable by the time I went to have it fixed up (my index finger was larger in diameter than my thumb). It is a good time to practice one handed manipulations with weak hand: clearing malfunctions left hand only, reloading left hand only, etc.

Good luck on getting healed up soon.

Just another reason to have multiple guns, in case something out of the ordinary comes along and you need to change up.
    Hope the hand heals fast so you can get back to your prefered gun.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Definitely food for thought.

I currently don't carry any SAO.

Hop, I trust you have, and will be able to carry another pistol more favorable to your situation, & also hope you heal quickly!
    Of course, one that is DA/SA and totally suitable for ambidextrous use. It just isn't my favorite.

So many people come here asking about the advantages and disadvantages of
    different designs. SAO is great until your hammer pulling thumb is 3 time bigger than your big toe.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    Off hand was my first thought too. Borrow a lefty holster from someone for a while. Hopefully your SAO has a ambi-safety.

Heal up fast!
    NOPE. It is for the right hand only.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links