I did it!

This is a discussion on I did it! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Congrats on your new SIG!!! Now if I can just get mine......

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: I did it!

Congrats on your new SIG!!! Now if I can just get mine...

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on your new Sig. I love my 238 and would suspect you'll be just as happy.

Shoot any FMJ rounds that cycle for practice, and I would say look into using the Federal Hydrashok for JHP. Otherwise for a defensive magazine you could do the first round as FMJ (in case you need to shoot through a window etc) and have that followed up with some hollowpoints.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    oh and let me know what you come up with for carrying when in scrubs. my wife is a nurse and she still needs some "convincing".
    Oh, I work in the OR, so we change into scrubs when we get there. There's never a time outside of the hospital when I wear scrubs, and I'm not going to carry at work, so this isn't an issue for me.

I would think what would work best, though, would be a belly band. Maybe a Flashbang if she's into that sort of thing. Definitely wouldn't be able to put a holster on her pants, but the tops are loose enough that you could stash something under there no problem.

Also: thanks everyone! At first I was suffering from severe sticker shock and fearing I made the wrong choice in spending so much money, but these positive responses are making me feel better about the purchase. =] I'm stoked.

she is an icu rn. i was just curious. i haven't even convinced her to get her permit yet. it's an uphill battle. oh, and aurora hospitals in wisconsin have gun buster signs. so i need to lock up my gun in the car when i go to visit her or drop something off.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Yeah, my hospital has gun buster signs and metal detectors, so yeah, heavily frowned upon.

QUESTION!!

I'm tinkering around with this thing, making it go click and whatnot...and I think I've misunderstood SA and the thumb safety mechanism all this time. So is the safety just there to make sure the hammer doesn't accidentally get knocked? The manual says, "The automatic firing pin safety blocks the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled." I thought if the safety was engaged, nothing would happen if you pull the trigger. But if I cock the hammer and then pull the trigger, the hammer drops and it clicks, regardless of whether the safety is on or not.

I thought the safety made the gun unable to be shot. I feel like an idiot. I'm glad I'm reading up on this now; misunderstanding the safety mechanisms could have disastrous consequences...

ETA: Maybe I'm wrong...when I rack the slide and the hammer drops...would that be the action that chambers a round? Because when I do that, and then turn the safety on, I can't shoot it, but it shoots when I turn the safety off.

Hmmm...

I think this is difficult to do with no ammo so I'm not 100% understanding what would be happening in the gun whenever I do something. I definitely need someone to go over this thing with me....

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Congrads of the gun!

Here is a link to a place I use:

50 rds - 380 Speer Lawman 95 grain TMJ .380 ammo | SGAmmo.com

100 rds - 380 ACP / Auto Winchester Value Pack 95gr FMJ Ammo | SGAmmo.com

500 rds - 380 ACP / Auto Winchester Value Pack 95gr FMJ Ammo | SGAmmo.com

50rds - 380 Auto Speer Gold Dot 90gr Hollow Point LE 53606 | SGAmmo.com

50rd - 380 Auto / ACP Winchester Ranger T-series Hollow Point RA380T | SGAmmo.com

Note you have both FMJ & JHP. These are all 50 round boxes and IMHO I wouldn't go for anything in a 20 round pack!

Enjoy! Let me know when you move to Chi Town as I'll take it off your hands since you can take it with you!
    LaraCroft10 likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    ETA: Maybe I'm wrong...when I rack the slide and the hammer drops...would that be the action that chambers a round? Because when I do that, and then turn the safety on, I can't shoot it, but it shoots when I turn the safety off.
    this. are you sure the other thing it was doing isn't some type of decocking mechanism? i have never owned a sig but hk's have a decocker built into the safety when you pull it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    this. are you sure the other thing it was doing isn't some type of decocking mechanism? i have never owned a sig but hk's have a decocker built into the safety when you pull it down.
    Maybe. I don't know. The action doesn't happen when I engage the safety, it's when I engage the safety and then pull the trigger. It looks like it's firing. Aah. This newbie is confused.

Yeah, my hospital has gun buster signs and metal detectors, so yeah, heavily frowned upon.

QUESTION!!

I'm tinkering around with this thing, making it go click and whatnot...and I think I've misunderstood SA and the thumb safety mechanism all this time. So is the safety just there to make sure the hammer doesn't accidentally get knocked? The manual says, "The automatic firing pin safety blocks the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled." I thought if the safety was engaged, nothing would happen if you pull the trigger. But if I cock the hammer and then pull the trigger, the hammer drops and it clicks, regardless of whether the safety is on or not.

I thought the safety made the gun unable to be shot. I feel like an idiot. I'm glad I'm reading up on this now; misunderstanding the safety mechanisms could have disastrous consequences...

Hmmm...

I think this is difficult to do with no ammo so I'm not 100% understanding what would be happening in the gun whenever I do something. I definitely need someone to go over this thing with me....
    LARA !!! Page 11 of the Sig manual says
    The thumb safety blocks hammer movement and can be
    engaged with the hammer cocked (ready to fire) or hammer
    forward. Move the thumb safety fully
    upward to engage. The
    thumb safety is ON (SAFE)
    when fully up.
    Move the thumb safety fully
    down to disengage. The
    thumb safety is OFF (FIRE)
    when fully down. When the
    thumb safety is down, the
    hammer is free to fall when
    the trigger is pulled
    You can cycle the slide when the thumb safety is engaged
    with the hammer cocked. When the thumb safety is
    engaged with the hammer forward, slide movement is blocked.
    Something is not right! Do not load this until you have someone knowledgeable inspect it!!
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Administrator
    Congrats! Welcome into the fold! Carry it safely and in good health.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Maybe. I don't know. The action doesn't happen when I engage the safety, it's when I engage the safety and then pull the trigger. It looks like it's firing. Aah. This newbie is confused.
    so am i. without seeing it i do not know.

The hammer should never drop if the thumb safety is up. If this is happening, something is wrong. You need a gunsmith.

If you rack the slide and the hammer drops automatically, that is premature hammer drop or "hammer follow" and it's not suppose to happen. You need a gunsmith.

The thing that chambers a round, is when the slide is released from the rear position. It physically strips the top round from the magazine, guides it up the feed ramp, and slams it into the chamber. The dropping of the hammer, hits the firing pin, which then hits the primer, and BANG.

Are you holding the trigger down then dropping the thumb safety? That will cause the hammer to drop and it will fire. Not something you want to get in the habit of doing.

As for the action: If the hammer is down and the thumb safety is up, you will not be able to rack the slide. You will need to have the safety down to pull the hammer back, then you can reengage the safety, insert a magazine, and cycle the slide to chamber a round with the safety still on. You will also be able to drop your magazine and eject the chambered round with the hammer back and the safety still engaged. This makes for a nice way to clear the weapon, as it's still in SAFE.

The fact that you can rack the slide while the hammer is back and the safety is engaged, (in the up position), is different from how a normal single action 1911 operates. With a standard SAO 1911, if the safety is up, the slide is locked in place.

I hope that helps!
    Rhcmlc likes this.
    SA MC Operator
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    G26
    Sig P238

YouTube search sig p238. Watch Hikock45 video.

Hope everything works out with your new Sig. For what it's worth, I'm jealous. :) Great guns!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links