I did it! - Page 5

I did it!

This is a discussion on I did it! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 Oh, I work in the OR, so we change into scrubs when we get there. There's never a time outside of ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: I did it!

Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    Oh, I work in the OR, so we change into scrubs when we get there. There's never a time outside of the hospital when I wear scrubs, and I'm not going to carry at work, so this isn't an issue for me.

I would think what would work best, though, would be a belly band. Maybe a Flashbang if she's into that sort of thing. Definitely wouldn't be able to put a holster on her pants, but the tops are loose enough that you could stash something under there no problem.

Also: thanks everyone! At first I was suffering from severe sticker shock and fearing I made the wrong choice in spending so much money, but these positive responses are making me feel better about the purchase. =] I'm stoked.
    Years from now you will be glad you spent the extra few dollars for something you really wanted. It's not just about shooting, it's also about "pride of ownership". If you really like the gun you will take good care of it, and use it. I have an old revolver and I just love it. I take care of it, and I shoot it, and I'm glad I own it.

Good choice BTW, and a wise choice. You done good girl.
    LaraCroft10 likes this.

wish they made an all black P238 SAS. or just a dehorned standard nitron. the stainless look isn't my thing on a handgun. love the wood though.

Quote Originally Posted by pocketgroove View Post
    The hammer should never drop if the thumb safety is up. If this is happening, something is wrong. You need a gunsmith.

If you rack the slide and the hammer drops automatically, that is premature hammer drop or "hammer follow" and it's not suppose to happen. You need a gunsmith.

The thing that chambers a round, is when the slide is released from the rear position. It physically strips the top round from the magazine, guides it up the feed ramp, and slams it into the chamber. The dropping of the hammer, hits the firing pin, which then hits the primer, and BANG.

Are you holding the trigger down then dropping the thumb safety? That will cause the hammer to drop and it will fire. Not something you want to get in the habit of doing.

As for the action: If the hammer is down and the thumb safety is up, you will not be able to rack the slide. You will need to have the safety down to pull the hammer back, then you can reengage the safety, insert a magazine, and cycle the slide to chamber a round with the safety still on. You will also be able to drop your magazine and eject the chambered round with the hammer back and the safety still engaged. This makes for a nice way to clear the weapon, as it's still in SAFE.

The fact that you can rack the slide while the hammer is back and the safety is engaged, (in the up position), is different from how a normal single action 1911 operates. With a standard SAO 1911, if the safety is up, the slide is locked in place.

I hope that helps!
    Okay, I figured out where my confusion is.

When I rack the slide and have the safety ON, it does NOT fire.
    When I flip the safety off, it does.
    When I manually pull back the hammer all the way, then flip the safety on, it does NOT fire.
    When I flip the safety off, it does.

The WEIRD part is that I can pull the hammer back halfway, and with the safety on, it DOES fire. Or at least clicks and feels like it is. It does this with both the safety on and off.

Also, sometimes it lets me rack the slide with the safety on and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, it knocks the hammer back in this same weird halfway position, and still fires when I pull the trigger, even thought the safety on.

Anyone have any idea what this is? Maybe it's not actually firing? But when I pull the trigger, the hammer springs back and it makes a click sound, like it's firing....

Does this make sense? I made a video showing it, but my internet is god-awful slow tonight and I didn't have the patience to upload it.
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

Ok, now it's clear. Your p238 is operating normally.
    The weird thing you observed is the "half-cock" feature on the p238 and on 1911s. When you pull the trigger with the safety off while there hammer is half-cocked, it will allow the hammer to fall from the half cock ledge, though there should not enough travel to result in enough force to ignite a primer on a live round. Although, YOU DO NOT WANT TO test THIS!!!

You really should ideally NEVER have your hammer in this position. You need to learn the "manual of arms" (how to handle it properly) for your particular weapon and live by it, or you just might DIE by it. Seriously.

Not to fear, the manual of arms for a 1911 style gun isn't rocket science. And It's great to see a new gun owner interested in the nuts and bolts operation of the mechanisms and discover all the ways it can and cannot function Just keep in mind it was designed to function a certain way and it's best to stick with the manual of arms.

For you to get it half-cocked, you had to rack the slide with the safety up and the hammer down. There is no reason to ever do this, but if you do it: Just drop the safety and rack the slide all the way back or pull the hammer all the way back with your thumb, fully engaging the hammer, then reengage your safety. I have to reiterate...there is no reason to mess around with the half-cock setting on your gun. Your hammer should either be all the way back or all the way forward.

The half-cock feature is there as another safety. This safety keeps the hammer from falling all the way forward and cooking off a round on accident if your thumb accidentally slips while trying to manually pull the hammer all the way back on a live round or when manually dropping the hammer on a live round (which is not advised!!! although, some people do this to their 1911s because they are scared to carry in condition 1. these people live dangerously in many senses of the word).

There is nothing wrong with your gun...just the way you are handling it. So here it is:

If you want to pull the hammer back, make sure it is unloaded and the safety is off. You don't want to put it into half cock.
    If you want to rack the slide, make sure either (1) the safety is off or (2) the hammer is already back. (if the hammer is already back, then it doesn't matter if the safety is on or off, to rack the slide).

Basically, you need training on this platform because you are putting unwanted stress on the finely fitted parts. Will doing what you're doing hurt it? Probably not, it's a Sig . Do you want to keep handling your nice new firearm improperly. Nope! Just understand that the internal parts, such as the sear engagement, on 1911 style guns are ground down to 1000ths of an inch, and if one adds unnecessary stress to these metal parts, they will wear out and create a potentially dangerous situation.

Be well, Be safe, and Gratz on your Sig. Go get some training, it will prove invaluable. Learn all you can about the function, construction, and operation of the different parts, and don't abuse them. Firearms are truly amazing machines. You could grow to love yours, I know I love mine.

p.s. DON'T HALF COCK THAT GUN!
    Last edited by pocketgroove; October 10th, 2012 at 03:52 AM.
    Rhcmlc likes this.
    SA MC Operator
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    G26
    Sig P238

Congrats on your new pistol. Welcome to the addiction.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    The fact that, with the hammer fully cocked, you can load, unload, and clear the gun with out the possibility of it going off is a huge safety feature.

I taught my wife to load the pistol:
    • Rack the slide with no magazine in it. Leave the hammer cocked.
    • Put the safety on.
    • Insert the magazine and tap it to make sure it's seated.
    • Pull the slide all the way back and release it.
    • Look in the side to verify brass or nickel shows the chamber is loaded.
    • Holster it and leave it there unless it's needed.

There are all sorts of variations. The bottom line is the only time she needs to flick the safety off is if she is going to shoot it.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Congrat's on the purchase.

Really, though, if you have the slightest doubt or confusion, find someone who is familiar with that sort of handgun and ask for advice. You will learn faster with a "known good" than with a "well, maybe it's good".

I recall sitting in a hotel room that overlooked a hospital, the staff parking lot, and the sidewalk between, and watching the staff going to and from. Few were really aware of what was around them (meaning it would be a rich hunting grounds). Interesting body language, too.

You are stronger than I am to keep going in, day after day. Salute, lady.

Quote Originally Posted by LaraCroft10 View Post
    I bought my first guuuunnnnnn!!!

Attachment 63388Attachment 63389

My new Sig P238. It's BEAAAUUUUTIFUL!!

A little more than I wanted to spend. I kind of splurged on the SAS model (rather than the basic Nitron model I was going to settle on). But, really, I only paid $70 more. And it's what I truly wanted.

Seriously, this thing is sexy.

There are a couple of scratches on it I didn't notice, though. I know it's because it was on their wall and people have been handling it. I don't think they can do anything about it because it's the only one they have. And it's probably considered "normal wear and tear", so no warranty will cover it. So that kind of sucks.

But overall, I'm pretty dang thrilled.

Now.....can someone give me a crash-course in ammunition (or link me to a good explanation) and give some recommendations of what to buy (for both practice and carrying)?
    You are soooooooooooooo hot with that Sig

Sorry had to .

Your next one try and buy it from a store where you can maybe get a fresh on from the back where no hands been on

Thats what I have done in past works well

Congratulations! I love my Sig, hope yours brings you many years of fun and comfortable protection.

As for ammunition, there's a pretty good thread in the ballistics section about quality SD ammunition.

In my opinion, you just purchased the most reliable and best shooting modern-day .380 in the firearms market. Enjoy.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

congrats
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhcmlc View Post
    In my opinion, you just purchased the most reliable and best shooting modern-day .380 in the firearms market. Enjoy.
    I agree.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

As a first time gun owner you will, no doubt, have many other guns in your stash before you are finished with this addiction to things that go "bang!" Enjoy it, pay whatever you want for the one(s) you want and, if there are more Sigs in your future, you will have a collection of one of the best guns ever made on this planet. And remember, if everyone loved Fords, there would be no Chevys on the road! Good shooting to you.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    ...good call on the stainless. i won't buy a carry gun that i can't sweat on. either ss or parkerized finish.
    I'm not sure if you were specifically referencing the P238 there or not but they're all stainless (slides at least) with different finishes on the them. And the frames are either aluminum or stainless as well depending on which P238 you get.

Range update? I have been looking at different 380's lately and cannot decide. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links