I did it!

This is a discussion on I did it! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought my first guuuunnnnnn!!! 005.jpg 007.jpg My new Sig P238. It's BEAAAUUUUTIFUL!! A little more than I wanted to spend. I kind of splurged ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: I did it!

I did it!

I bought my first guuuunnnnnn!!!

005.jpg007.jpg

My new Sig P238. It's BEAAAUUUUTIFUL!!

A little more than I wanted to spend. I kind of splurged on the SAS model (rather than the basic Nitron model I was going to settle on). But, really, I only paid $70 more. And it's what I truly wanted.

Seriously, this thing is sexy.

There are a couple of scratches on it I didn't notice, though. I know it's because it was on their wall and people have been handling it. I don't think they can do anything about it because it's the only one they have. And it's probably considered "normal wear and tear", so no warranty will cover it. So that kind of sucks.

But overall, I'm pretty dang thrilled.

Now.....can someone give me a crash-course in ammunition (or link me to a good explanation) and give some recommendations of what to buy (for both practice and carrying)?

2. Remove Ads

I think you'll be very pleased with the P238. Congrats!

Great choice, that pistol looks amazing. Nothing wrong spending a bit more to get exactly what you wanted...you'll enjoy that P238 for a long time.

Congratulations!! Don't worry about the cosmetic flaws, they add "character." If you shoot it well, then it serves its purpose.
    Last edited by boricua; October 8th, 2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: typo
    bunker likes this.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Congrats! Sweet looking gun!

SIGs are excellent guns. Well done.

VIP Member
    Great choice, the P-238 is the nicest shooting .380 I have got. Haven’t settled on an ammo yet but it has fired everything I have tried so far.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I'm a sig guy great gun... Love both of mine... Sig P238 small.jpg gambler edition...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Congrats! I bought my first gun two months ago. I bet you can find some good info about .380 on YouTube. A quick search shows Hikock45 reviewed your gun. Defiantly watch that! Go get some ammo from Walmart. Since I shoot .45acp I've noticed most are out of the value packs. The Walmart in collinsville is stocked up. If your downtown stl is the same distance to the one on Hanley. Cabelas in Mills mall has a big variety of defensive ammo. Best place to shoot your new gun is Jay henges, just don't go on sat/sun

Thanks, Jon! I didn't even think about Walmart. Hanley's actually closer. I need to check out Cabelas because they were sickeningly nice to me on the phone. And I for sure want to check out Jay Henges, but I bought a membership to Top Gun tonight, so I have to put that to use, too. =]

Welcome to the club!

Don't get disappointed if you get some failure to feeds, mine did when it was brand new. Just polish the old feed ramp a little (you tube that). As far as ammo, once as I polished that feed ramp I was able to use Winchester white box for practice and use Hornady critical defense for carry purposes. Good luck with it.

Definitely check out Jays before it get to cold out. It's just a different experience then the other ranges. Outside. Shoot for ten min then a break. You get to know your neighbors. Everyone's relaxed, having a good time. I let them shoot my gun, shoot a few rounds out of theirs. It just so different from an indoor range and I feel lucky that we have something like that just outside of stl.
    LaraCroft10 likes this.

For a .380, I use FMJ, preferably with a flat point. The Winchester White Box .380 is what I use in my LCPs.

JHPs in .380 don't typically get the FBI's minimum 12 inches of penetration, much less the desired 15 inches. FMJ, on the other hand, gets 16-17 inches, even from short barrels. See the testing done at GoldenLoki with a P3at.

Enjoy the gun.
    Foo909 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Congrats, Lara! I like the stainless look too - have that on my Taurus PT709. I hope you have lots of opportunity to get intimate with that beautiful pistol doing lots of practice shooting and training. And I pray you never have to use it for anything other than practice. Take care!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links