10mm Recoil

This is a discussion on 10mm Recoil within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How can you 10mm shooters describe the recoil of a 10mm? Is it closer to the "snappy" recoil of a .357 SIG or not even ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10mm Recoil

10mm Recoil

How can you 10mm shooters describe the recoil of a 10mm? Is it closer to the "snappy" recoil of a .357 SIG or not even close?

Thanks in advance.
    Beretta 92FS

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    To me,depends completely on the weapon.

I have never owned a 10,but have been lucky enough to have been in the position to have shot,oh probably,300-400rds thru the different weapons. This includes>>MP5,Glock20 and 29,a couple af EAA Witness',a couple of Colt's,and a couple of revos(610's,etc.)

Recoil is somewhat in the eye of the beholder. My best way of explaining it is.......(to me)......more blast than a .45 +p......more feeling of over pressure than a .357Sig.......a fairly sharp push over a shorter period of time(similar to the Sig)......plain ol' recoil >>not as stout as a .45ACP 230gr +P. The 10 is highly shootable. For use as a CCW(double taps,shooting from some of the retention positions,etc.)=PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE. Would probably choose one of the <200grainers. But you gotta carry full power or.... drop back to a .40 Short&Weak.

The 10 is also a pretty good hunting round. Especially when fired out a 6" or 7" bbl. This, for deer,and hogs at the closer ranges. (Double Tap suggested)

I am no authority on the 10mm. I have been with hunters that have killed the medium sized hogs with the round. It seems to do a good job. Always a complete pass thru,even on the 220-250 pounders.

All in all,I think that the 10mm is an "interesting" caliber. ---------

the few times I have fired a 10mm I was not impressed.

Personally I think that 10mm is a bit "snappier" than .357 Sig or 40 S&W, with normal pressure loads, now with +p and +p+ it can be a bit of a monster if the gun is real light.

It's not any worse than full power .357 mag out of an airweight snubby.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I have a 10mm Witness and though I have small hands, and with revolvers am very recoil-sensitive, I haven't had any problems with the Witness. My favorite round through it is the Winchester 175-grain silvertip.

I guess "snappy" is the best term.

I have a Glock 29 in 10MM as well as a 357 Sig Conversion BBL to fit the G29. In answer to your question, I find the 175gr silvertips to be mild as well as the Gold Dots. Shooting the 10mm is similar to the recoil of a mild 357Mag (the slide and recoil springs absorb most of the recoil) If you're using your own reloads the recoil is much more evendent. I also find that shooting the 357 Sig ctg in the G29 is comparable to a hot 9Mm round, AND produces great groups. BOTH ctgs are worth a look is you're considering a carry peice. BTW, if you look closely, I'm utilizing the SAME G29 magazine for BOTH Ctgs, and I've had NO FTF, FTE, EVER! Kind of a bonus (VERY Unique find here)when you're looking into a conversion for your gun
    Attached Images
    Last edited by CLASS3NH; October 1st, 2006 at 04:48 PM.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

The Glock 29 is exactly what I have my eyes on right now. I feel the need to have something to take down large animals (larger than coyotes, I mean... Not for hunting, just defensive purposes) and the 10mm keeps getting mentioned. After some research it would seem it'd be the best all around caliber for me to use.

And yeah, snappy is the best term I can come up with when I try to describe how the recoil felt to me. I'd consider the .45 to have this, "thud thud" sort of recoil. Don't you just love my recoil terms? haha.
    Beretta 92FS

Depends on Weapon as said above.. the Glock 20 feels less snappy with factory loads and hot handloads than the Glock 22 with factory 40 S&W loads

VIP Member
    Full-power 10mm recoil control is a breeze in the S&W 10mm's and Glocks. It's a bit more in 1911 platform; as others have said, about the same as a .45 ACP +P round with maybe a bit more torque.

Two guns that recoil worse (to me) than any of my 10mm's firing full-power loads is a Kel Tec P3AT firing Corbon 90 grain JHPs and Taurus 905 9mm revolving firing +P rounds......ouch.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

The 10mm is a good shooter. I had a Smith 1066. The .357 sig and .40 s&w has more snap. The 10mm feels like a .45, with just a hair more punch.
    If you can control a .40 in a double tap, you can do so with a 10.

VIP Member
    10mm recoil: check this thread.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=13924

These are photos of my wife shooting a SIG P239 in .357SIG and a S&W 1066 10mm. This lady is just over 5'2" and weighs in at a whopping 120lbs. She is 50 years old and started shooting in February. She fired the 10mm that day two handed strong side, one handed right and left. There are several pictures of the pistol at the top of its travel. The first couple of pictures are the .357SIG and one shows this pistol at almost the top of its travel. The only complaint my wife has about the 10mm is that it doesn't have the Hogue grips like the P239.

I apologize for the size of the pictures the gallery was down at the time and I was under the impression that there was a script that would reduce the photos to a smaller size. If I were home I would load the smaller versions I have there, but I am at work at the moment.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

No need to apologize, dr_cmg; that's why I upgraded to cable internet years ago. :)

I am really liking what I am hearing about the 10mm. :)
    Beretta 92FS

Just a quick FYI.........I know where there are 2 Glock 29s for sale..........465.00 each.......about 95-98% condition.. ..I think Bud was lookin for one as well hehehehe...........www.KTP.Com They'll do a 7-day hold for you, and a 60 day hold with 20% down just in case you needed a little time to get the funds together

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Just a quick FYI.........I know where there are 2 Glock 29s for sale..........465.00 each.......about 95-98% condition.. ..I think Bud was lookin for one as well hehehehe...........www.KTP.Com They'll do a 7-day hold for you, and a 60 day hold with 20% down just in case you needed a little time to get the funds together
    I got a glock 20 instead

Smile I love my 10

I've been carrying a Delta Elete for over 10 years now. Once in a while I'll carry a .357 revolver but as a second choice. I've never had a problem with recoil. I can't say what a Glock feels like. I never had to shoot one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    I got a glock 20 instead
    I know you did silly... . but you can never have enough toys...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links