Springfield XD-S - Page 3

Springfield XD-S

This is a discussion on Springfield XD-S within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to chime in on that one and see if my reasons are the same as his... Mostly because of the trigger for me, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Springfield XD-S

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I'm going to chime in on that one and see if my reasons are the same as his...

Mostly because of the trigger for me, although the Kahr double action trigger is probably one of (if not the best) long and moderately heavy DA trigger pulls out there, it's harder to get that first shot on target (at least for me), with the XD-S I get much better accuracy, better factory sights, ambi mag release and less sensitivity to certain ammo - not to mention not one single nose dive like I experienced with my PM series.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Video was very well done. Well organized, sharp focus, not too much repatition, camera didn't dodge all over, and the audio was clear.

I also liked the discussion of the pistol. I've never fired one, have handled one, and have it on my must buy list. I literallty have the money in the bank ready to spend. That said, while yours was reliable as gravity. Not all of them have been that good. On the XDs talk forum, there are a number of them that are having teething problems that aren't always fixed after being returned to Springfield.

I took note of the serial number on the one you have and will compare it with the serial number on the one at the LGS. If the local one is higher, it may be time to go for it.

Again, well done on the video.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Just curious on your thoughts around the Kahr lineup - especially the PM9/CM9 and the PM45. I have had very bad experiences with Kahr - but I'm curious as to why you would go with the XD-S when you could get a PM45, which lacks the grip safety. Thanks.
    I have a Kahr CM9 and while I generally like the pistol, I have ergonomic issues with it. The slide stop is large (stick out from the frame) and actually draws blood when I shoot it. It bites into my shooting thumb and despite my best efforts I can't make it not do it. The only thing I could do would be to use a Dremel and round the edge, but it's still not ideally located. The XD-S has much better erogos for my hand and to me that's one of the most important qualities of a defensive arm. The better it fits your hand and the better you interact with it, the more likely it is to perform as expected should the need occur.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Interesting. I use a thumb-over-thumb grip, instead of thumbs forward, so I've never had that issue.

As they say, different strokes for different folks. If I'm going to carry a low-cap handgun of that size/weight, it would be a revolver for the greater simplicity and lack of grip safety.

It'll be interesting to see if someone comes out with a grip sleeve or something that can defeat the grip safety. Hmmm....
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I've got one and put about 1500 rounds down it with out a single failure. Great CC weapon and I used my G26 CBST for a holster until I got my Harwell (very nice) IWB holster. Love my weapon and trust it with my life.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    Springfield is saying sometime in the first quarter of 2013 they'll release the 9mm and .40 S&W versions of the XD-S.

Thanks for the info. As I stated earlier, I am assuming the 9mm will only be a 6+1 and the 40S&W a 5+1 ??? God Bless

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I like the grip safety, and I like the weight. I would like to see the XDS in a 9mm though.

What velocity can be realistically expected from a .45 out of an XDs?
    Last edited by TonyDTrigger; October 12th, 2012 at 10:27 PM.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    I like the grip safety, and I like the weight. I would like to see the XDS in a 9mm though.

What velocity can realistically expect from a .45 out of an XDs?

Here is someone that performed some chrono tests:

WaGuns.org - View topic - Springfield XDs range report

It looks like depending on the load, etc.; velocity is anywhere from the low 700's to mid 800 ft/sec. Again depending on the load gives it an energy reading of around 280+ and above. I know energy is not everything but from the XDS it seems kind of low. Still I would not want to be hit by any of that, but it still makes you wonder if it is enough for proper penetration and expansion. God Bless

Adding my thanks for the video. It was supremely well done. I bought one today because I'd passed up the chance several times before. The 5 this dealer received have all sold in two days, my friend literally laid across the counter preventing this one from vanishing while I sped down there. Paid about 545 but thought that was good. They didn't have any extra mags left but I'm pretty happy with the performance after 250 rounds today, reloads of about 175K power factor I use for competition. Some issues slamming the first round off the top of the mag but the gun is tight and new. Nothing gives me any hint of a problem so far but I really think they missed the mark with these sights, great for competition and the range but would have highly preferred the white tritium dots like on my Sigs. Or the TruGlo tritium-fibre set. Holster doesn't snap onto the gun worth a flip so it will need a new holster and mag pouches.

It shoots a little to the left and low but the low part doesn't concern me. I tapped the rear sight a little to the right when I got home and will test again after IDPA match ends tomorrow. It's good enough without the extended mags I may not buy them. It sure runs out of bullets FAST though, I feel like I'm back to shooting a 6 shot 45 revolver in some ways.

It seems to Chrono about 50-75 fps slower than my standard size 1911 with the same rounds. The grip surface no matter how aggressive on these plastic guns will NEVER be as good as even the average metal 1911 with checkering but since the grip is single stack I can still get a great grip. The gun point shoots better than it does using the sights to be honest. I got better hits with faster followup point shooting than sight shooting under 20 feet.

The trigger likes to be pulled with no regard to technique whatsoever. If you shoot with the trigger closer to your power crease instead of the finger tip it shoots a lot better, hole in hole. I think that's good. This is a combat setup in every way. I think the travel in the trigger is pretty long but I agree the reset is nice and sweet. I imagine once broken in this XDS45 will shoot great. In some ways this stock trigger is better than the larger full size 9mm, 45 and 5.25 XDms which almost beg for a trigger upgrade out of the box.

This XDS also seems to be made with more intricate design and slightly more sophisticated internals. It's not as small as I had remembered though and although remarkable for a 45acp it feels like a giant compared to my Sig P938 which I still think is an amazing CQB fighter with 8 rounds carried and my two 7 round backup mags and the critical duty ammo.

I was thrilled to hear the OP's review only disliked the grip safety which does not bother me at all. Once I practice with this thing I will be a robber or muggers worst effing night mare. I do believe the 9mm Sig I carry to be a little more surgical. It's a trade off, I still like the idea of sending a 230 grain daylight hole maker down range. This thing was swinging the steel plate like a rag doll today from 25 yards.

Follow up, last post, but wanted to say, sighted in gun by tapping the rear sight about 10/1000th of an inch and bingo. It's hitting center head shots today. Two IDPA friends shot it with me after the match and they were touching holes, I still need to get used to the trigger to stop pushing to the left sometimes or pushing down. But I was getting some amazing hits, so good, happy... I suspect it will be a good one. It point shoots very nicely at 10-15 feet, you cant miss.

I have the XDs - found it locally a week ago. It's a very nice gun, but the grip definitely takes some getting used to, and the recoil is pretty rough. Beautiful gun, though...beautiful.
    --
    Steve - Software Developer, Editor
    http://www.smallgovtimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Gotta call you guys out on the grip safety.

I have an XD and a 1911- It's almost impossible to hold either gun securely WITHOUT depressing the grip safety.

FYI Literally HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of people have shot 1911s over the last hundred years with no difficulty.
    Yes, I know this is an old thread but I am looking for info on grip safeties and this came up in the search.

If people want me to start a new thread, I will but I didn't want to hear about...'did you search first?'

So in response to this, my question is....don't we already know that you may not be able to have a perfect or even secure grip in a situation? You could be injured, in tight position, trying to shoot from an odd cover position, you might be held down or otherwise constrained by an assailant, etc. I remember a couple of actual situations described here in the past where the shooter could not grip his gun properly to fire.....he was down on the ground in a hostage situation and was struggling with an attacker.

And as for all the successes with those 1911s....who says there were no failures due to inability to depress the grip safety. Probably no one knows and dead men tell no tales :-(
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

People have had problems with the 1911's grip safety for decades. That's why you see most modified 1911's having a much larger grip safety protrusion which minimizes the possibility of not having a good grip. Back in the early days of the 1911 it was common to see people taping the safety down or otherwise disabling it. When companies such as Star went to clone the 1911 (during WWII) they left the grip safety out completely. Browning didn't design the 1911 with a grip safety, the Army decided they wanted it. The Army made no such requests on future designs, they too decided it wasn't necessary.

How many other popular handguns in the 20th century employ grip safeties? The 1911 and the XD, that's it. It doesn't improve safety in any measurable way however it does add an additional failure point that is ultimately unnecessary.

I have seen on multiple occasions (and have video of it) where people have failed to engage the grip safety properly on their full-size XD's when drawing on the timer. The timer added stress. The shooter I have on video never had a problem until he was shooting against the clock, then he suddenly had an issue. Gunfights tend to add stress.

I believe fighting tools should be no more complex than is necessary to accomplish their task. Adding unnecessary safeties increases the possibility of a failure when you are under stress.

I don't want manual safeties, grips safeties, magazine safeties, or anything else that might stand in the way of me using my defensive tool when I need it. That's one of the reason Glocks have skyrocketed in popularity as fighting handguns and why so many other companies have copied the Glock recipe. Glock's are stupid simple. To fire all you need to do is draw, point and pull the trigger.
    This makes some sense to me.

I don't think grip safeties are a good idea and I do like the XDs (and love 1911's altho have no plans to buy one) and wanted to research the grip safeties further.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

My FFL dealer is getting 6 in my name is already one of them. Im just not sure if I want stainless or black. He is getting both.

I am looking forward to seeing this gun offered in 9mm. I have just never been a big fan of the .45 and with the technology as it is in ammunition, there is almost no difference in the so called stopping power between the major calibers out there. When this happens, I suspect that it will replace my Kahr CW9 as it has the top round tilt problem so common with these guns.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links