need advice

This is a discussion on need advice within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Glock 23 for everyday carry but need something smaller for more formal carry, church, special occasions etc. I am kind of a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need advice

need advice

I carry a Glock 23 for everyday carry but need something smaller for more formal carry, church, special occasions etc. I am kind of a large guy and IWB is somewhat uncomfortable. I was thinking of a 380 but am worried about stopping power at a distance. Any advise would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Have you considered a Model 27? Same operation and controls as your Model 23, and really getting to be about the same size as some of the larger .380s. I believe several holster makers market ankle holsters for that model, and a belly-band holster might also work if not too much like an IWB.

Good luck!

How about a Kahr P9?

The Kahr P9 is a lot easier to conceal than a Glock 27, and might serve your purpose. The P9 is about 0.9 inches thick in both slide and grip, and weighs 18 ounces empty. It is a 9mm with 7+1 capacity. It can be concealed in an ankle holster, deep pocket, or in a tuckable IWB holster (although you said you don't like IWB). But the Kahr is so thin that it works better than most other guns IWB. Here is a review of the P9 with specs:

Kahr P9 review

either a Smith wheelie or a smaller glock is way i would go

Kel-Tec P-11

Quote Originally Posted by steve63 View Post
    I carry a Glock 23 for everyday carry but need something smaller for more formal carry, church, special occasions etc. I am kind of a large guy and IWB is somewhat uncomfortable. I was thinking of a 380 but am worried about stopping power at a distance. Any advise would be appreciated.

I carry one in a pocket holster with a non-print panel from www.jagwear.com in the front pocket of Docker style pants. It won't work well in jeans. 13 rds of 9mm +P. They just came out with their new PF-9 which is a little slimmer as well.
    Richard
    Glock 17
    Glock 26
    Glock 30
    Kel-Tek P-11
    Kel-Tek P3AT
    Cold Det Spec
    Uberty peacemaker repro
    Ruger MK I .22 auto

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    No offense , but if you're a "Large Guy", and IWB bothers you,
    then either you have a crappy holster/belt combo or your
    clothes are't chosen for proper fit when carrying.

Im 5'10" - well over 220 and my waist is "large caliber"
    The only time I worry about gun size is in the hot summer.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    No offense , but if you're a "Large Guy", and IWB bothers you,
    then either you have a crappy holster/belt combo or your
    clothes are't chosen for proper fit when carrying.

Im 5'10" - well over 220 and my waist is "large caliber"
    The only time I worry about gun size is in the hot summer.
    i agree 100% at my size 6'0 about 294 i can pretty much carry anything and find iwb hides the gun the best and a good holster is a must

And i typically carry a 1911 most the time it was a 5" but with my new suv they way the seats are styled it would push the barrel and cock the gun so i went to a 4 1/4 commander style now ..

So as said good holster and belt you can carry anything

I tend to agree with AK on this one. I am also 5'10" and 220 on a good day, sporting a 38" waist and some dunlap (my belly has done lapped over my belt).

At the moment I carry a fullsize Taurus PT-101 IWB. My holster of choice is a Bianchi Pistol Pocket.

I think some of the previous posts have merit, but if you insist on going smaller, I'd recommend a Smith & Wesson 642, a 5-shot .38 (more punch than a .380, less than a 9) that weighs in at 15 ounces and sells for about $400 out-the-door around here. My wife has one and I keep trying to steal it, but sooner or later I'll have to buy my own--it's a great little carry gun.

For holster, if you're interested in a pocket holster, for $16 and order filled in a few days, go straight to Bob Mika at http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

Thanks

I appreciate the advise and comments.
    I will not give up my G23 as a daily carry. I can carry that fine with a belt holster and a vest. I was just thinking of a smaller piece for more formal type situations. I also need to purchase an actual gun belt. What do you folks think of the Milt Sparks IWBs.

Sparks holsters are very good

What do you folks think of the Milt Sparks IWBs.
    The Sparks IWB holsters are among the best made. If you order from the company there will be a long wait and the holsters are fairly expensive. If you order from Sparks dealer Lightning Arms the wait will be short but the holsters will cost even more.
    Lightning Arms website

CDH
    I appreciate the advise and comments.
    I will not give up my G23 as a daily carry. I can carry that fine with a belt holster and a vest. I was just thinking of a smaller piece for more formal type situations. I also need to purchase an actual gun belt. What do you folks think of the Milt Sparks IWBs.
    Some of the best money well spent would be for one of the Spark's IWB's. I've got the VersaMaxII on order, but others like the Summer Special as well.
    You might also look at Brommeland's MaxConV, another excellent example of a good IWB holster.
    And yes, GOOD gun belts are important to carrying well concealed AND with the ability to draw quickly. If you are going to carry IWB exclusively, you can go with 1-1/4" wide belt and have plenty of support. But if you go OWB, you really need to go with a 1-1/2" belt because in the case of OWB, the belt is doing ALL of the support.

To your original question: Now that there are some good defensive rounds made in .380, that particular cartridge is a VERY good choice nowadays. When I have to carry for "total stealth", I take my Walther PP and I challenge anyone to spot it anywhere on me (strong side IWB carry). For defensive ammo in .380, I have settled on nothing BUT the Speer Gold Dots.
    Sure, "bigger is better", but you are NOT undergunned with a .380.

Go with a Kel-tec P11 or the PF9 when they come out. Small and light but powerful with 10+1 or 12+1 rounds in a very small package. I can pocket, smartcarry, IWB or OWB carry the gun with ease.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I use the S&W 3913. Slim, light weight, accurate and disapears in an IWB. Plus it has an ambi manual safety. Thats the only type I'll carry IWB cause...... I may want to start dating again someday. Regards 18DAI.

The KelTec...

P3AT or the P-11 both make FINE church guns, and I have both.

But I still have no problem with my Glock-36 attending the service with me...he's a great church buddy.

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links