Best gun for under $200??

This is a discussion on Best gun for under $200?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by grnwdjsn Wow that's not a bad price for a TCP 738. I love my 709. It is my EDC. The Hi-Point is ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Best gun for under $200??

Quote Originally Posted by grnwdjsn View Post
    Wow that's not a bad price for a TCP 738. I love my 709. It is my EDC.

The Hi-Point is a mystery to me.. For such an ugly gun. Question - how well does it conceal? If I have to carry it say after church into Wally World.
    Bersa makes great guns, but the Thunder 380 (including CC model) is the same size and heavier than the PT709 and only 1 more round capacity...and of 380 rather than 9. I have both the PT709 and a Bersa Thunder CC 380. So, if you already have a small thin gun, why not go for something different rather than duplicate what you have?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    i'd add this to my list. at one point, used Makarovs (9x18), were also going for around $200, but i think the supply has dried up. for a while, they were my "cheapest reliable pistol" recommendation.

the CZ-82 may be their successor.
    You'll be hard pressed to find a CZ-82 for less than $250 these days. It's a good gun, maybe better than the Makarov. Some outfits like AIM and JG Sales might have them as low as $220, if they have them at all. The PA-63, a Walther clone, might still be found for about $200 but the best odds for finding a 9x18 carry piece under two bills is the Polish P-64.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." ~ Mark Twain

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by troutkiller View Post
    You'll be hard pressed to find a CZ-82 for less than $250 these days. It's a good gun, maybe better than the Makarov. Some outfits like AIM and JG Sales might have them as low as $220, if they have them at all. The PA-63, a Walther clone, might still be found for about $200 but the best odds for finding a 9x18 carry piece under two bills is the Polish P-64.
    JG has them for $189-200, depending on if you hand pick your gun for condition. JG's storefront is close by me and their CZ's are in pretty good condition. Just sayin, if I HAD to get a gun for around $200 or less, I'd go with a CZ-82, or a Model 10.
    troutkiller likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by sensei2 View Post
    i'd add this to my list. at one point, used Makarovs (9x18), were also going for around $200, but i think the supply has dried up. for a while, they were my "cheapest reliable pistol" recommendation.

the CZ-82 may be their successor.
    I'll second this. Some Makarovs are more expensive than others, but if you can find one in your price range, definitely check it out.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've got two CZ-82s and they're my favorite guns to shoot. Great trigger, good capacity (12+1), a bit more punch than the .380, and ultra reliable. Fits my hand like no other. Mine was $189 at CDNN but I think they're gone now. They're available at a bit more if you dig around.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I got a CZ 82 last month for $199 + $14 shipping. Included a spare magazine, lanyard, cleaning rod/screwdriver, and holster. It's in very good shape, trigger is well broken in, and shoots nicely. It now resides in my glove box with a box of Rooski ammo, giving me a package capable of slinging 75 rounds of Soviet-designed lead whenever I leave home.

I'm not trying to sound like a snob or weakling here but has anyone actually shot a Hi Point?

Yes, they hit where you aim and they work as long as you do your part. But my lord the slide is so heavy and has such a high bore axis it feels like a brick cycling on top of your grip. Fast follow up shots? Yeah right Scotty good luck with that one.

Out of your list, Bersa without a second thought as long as you want a brand new firearm.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    I'm not trying to sound like a snob or weakling here but has anyone actually shot a Hi Point?
    No worries. You're actually being kind - I could point out the paint that quickly peels off the barrel, and gums up the action, the magazine feed lips that often have to be re-bent to function properly, the occasional random lock-back which is not easily cleared....I think most of us are aware of the glaring deficiencies. We're just tired of pointing out and getting argued with, on such obvious critical flaws.
    Echo_Four likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    I know this gun isn't on your list, but it is hand's down one of the best sub $200 dollar guns you can find - CZ-82 in 9x18 caliber. Anyone else agree with that?
    Hell yeah, I agree!

My 82 is my EDC...compact enough, but she is heavy and a bit bulky due to it's all steel construction and 13 round capacity...
    But built like a tank, never a failure to feed or fire, accurate as can be with the fixed polygonal barrel.

More punch than the .308, and with Buffalo Bore +P 115 grainers, rivals a 9x19 load.

I'm looking at another LC-9 (wife has one) for days when I want to go lighter, but for a truck gun, you CAN'T beat it for $200 (well, maybe a few bucks more than that now, but not much- and WELL worth the difference)

Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    Hell yeah, I agree!

My 82 is my EDC...compact enough, but she is heavy and a bit bulky due to it's all steel construction and 13 round capacity...
    But built like a tank, never a failure to feed or fire, accurate as can be with the fixed polygonal barrel.

More punch than the .308, and with Buffalo Bore +P 115 grainers, rivals a 9x19 load.

I'm looking at another LC-9 (wife has one) for days when I want to go lighter, but for a truck gun, you CAN'T beat it for $200 (well, maybe a few bucks more than that now, but not much- and WELL worth the difference)

Nice!

More punch than a .308?! WOW. That IS impressive in a handgun. I gotta get me one of those...

(just funnin' on the typo...)

Last edited by 10thmtn; October 11th, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Bersa is the best quality pistol on the list but its .380..

I would go up in the price $50-60 and pay the FFL fee, and go with something like this...........
    S&W 6904.
    12 round 9mm.

I have bought from this seller, and they are great to deal with.
    I bought a 6906 & a 6904. The "06 was near mint, looking to be only fired a hundred rounds or @ the most 200.

The 6904 was a re-blued slide and was really dirty, but for the price it cleaned up ok and shoots great.

$260. And its a S&W
    S&W 6904 9mm Pistol : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Yup already invested in the gun safe for my truck. Have it mounted to the floor pretty hard. Would have to work pretty hard to get it.

The CZ82 is an awesome pistol .....but

Have you noticed how much 9mm mak has gone up?

2-3 years ago, it was 50 to 75% of the price of regular 9 mm Now its almost equal

I think as europe moves away from the 9 mm mak, ammo will be harder to get.

The SD bullet selection is extremely limited as well. (the cheap hollow points offered by
    Many of the vendors fail to expand)

For a truck gun the hipoint isnt pretty but they are reliable and they shoot a decent round

For a beater gun, it would be my choice.

Way too big for carry, but good enough
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

CZ82..........

outstanding weapon. good accuracy, reliable............and either side of the $200 mark. Prefer the PM Makarov but they are most often running a bit more. Some shopping around would be in order.

AS the OP listed a .22 in the post, there are many people in my area that are happy with the Heritage single action 22 revolver as a truck gun. They are frequently found for $150 new........more if you want the 22LR/22MAG......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links