Best gun for under $200??

This is a discussion on Best gun for under $200?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a gun to keep locked up in my truck (strictly a BUG, not EDC). I don't want to spend more than ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Best gun for under $200??

Best gun for under $200??

I am looking for a gun to keep locked up in my truck (strictly a BUG, not EDC). I don't want to spend more than $200 so I am looking into the used market. I know you get what you pay for so all of you gun snobs out there please refrain... I have looked at the following and would appreciate some first hand input if there is any to be had.

Bersa 380
    Hi_Point 9mm
    Taurus model 82 .38 (turned in Brazilian Police)
    Taurus PT25
    Taurus PT22

Or any other suggestions. Remember this will be locked in my truck 99.9% of the time.

2. Remove Ads

Bersa .380 is the best from the options you listed. I'd be inclined to go with a used/police trade-in Glock for your purposes.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Agree with Wonderbra. The Bersa is the best one from your list. I would go to a couple of large gun stores and take a look at their used inventory.
    There are some incredible deals out there in the used gun market. You just have to spend some time shopping.

I picked up a virtually unfired used Taurus PT92 9mm a couple of years ago at my local gun store for $225.
    pgrass101 and Hoganbeg like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    WonderBra, if you can tell me where you can pick up a police trade in Glock for under $200 please share. I'd have to get an FFL because I'd open a store. All day long for $350-$400 a pop- and the line would never stop around here.

To the OP- the Bersa is a great choice. The Taurus may be a better pick depending on what exactly you're wanting the gun to do.
    oneshot likes this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Out of the ones you listed, I'd go with the Bersa 380. Right now, I have my Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact 9 dedicated as my car gun and I'm very pleased with it.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

The one gun that would benefit from being kept in the dark (due to it's looks) but would be a good choice is the Hi Point.

Ugly? Yes. Brick like? Yes. Cheap? Yes. Now when you read about Hi Points you will notice that EVERYONE thinks their ugly and unwieldy but rarely do you hear of complaints about reliability. Mix all that together with being a 9mm and you have your trunk "Frankingun" brand new for around $170.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I am looking for what's around me currently. I agree with Echo - If you know anyone in the Detroit area selling used Glock for that price let me know! I do not want to pay FFL fees on a $200 gun if I don't have to, so LGS or private sellers are my current option. Bersa is top of my list right now. We will see if the seller wants to play lets make a deal ;)

yea i have to vote for the hi point too. a buddy of mine loves his three. yea, that's right. he liked the first one so much he bought two more. he has put plenty of rounds through them no problem. side note: he is an ex ranger sniper. he's no slouch, and he knows his stuff. just wanted three for your very purpose. one in the car, one in the bedroom, and one under the desk in his tattoo shop.

oh, and skip the pt22. i have one. nothing special. sights suck, not fun to shoot.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Wow that's not a bad price for a TCP 738. I love my 709. It is my EDC.

The Hi-Point is a mystery to me.. For such an ugly gun. Question - how well does it conceal? If I have to carry it say after church into Wally World.

I've seen used LCP's going for around $225.

Quote Originally Posted by grnwdjsn View Post
    Wow that's not a bad price for a TCP 738. I love my 709. It is my EDC.

The Hi-Point is a mystery to me.. For such an ugly gun. Question - how well does it conceal? If I have to carry it say after church into Wally World.
    Here's an interesting article about the hi point. Hi Point C9 9mm – A Good, Cheap Gun

As to concealing, it's easier than some and more difficult than others. It all depends on holster, body type, clothes, etc. Just like any gun you have to dress around it to conceal it. For the occasional carry it should be fine. If it truly is a "trunk" gun you'd be hard pressed to get a better option brand new for under $200 including a box or two of ammo at that price.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

The Hi-Point is a mystery to me.. For such an ugly gun.
    Remember this will be locked in my truck 99.9% of the time.

9mm vs 380? i know where my money is for a gun that's only purpose is defense.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

VIP Member
    Of the guns mentioned, I vote for the Bersa 380. No experience with the Hi-Point, for some reason can't get past the ugly far enough to want to shoot one!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    WonderBra, if you can tell me where you can pick up a police trade in Glock for under $200 please share. I'd have to get an FFL because I'd open a store. All day long for $350-$400 a pop- and the line would never stop around here.
    Dang, you're right. The lowest used price I found was $350.

I will amend my 2ndary recommendation to a used S&W Model 10
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them."
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Letter to George Washington, 1796. ME 9:341

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links