Glock gen 4 experiences - especially problems with the 9mm series.... - Page 3

Glock gen 4 experiences - especially problems with the 9mm series....

This is a discussion on Glock gen 4 experiences - especially problems with the 9mm series.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The adapter would be nice to have JIC of the EOW so you could use a Gen 3 spring if you had too......

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Glock gen 4 experiences - especially problems with the 9mm series....

Sponsor
    The adapter would be nice to have JIC of the EOW so you could use a Gen 3 spring if you had too...
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Honestly the Keltec PF9 is not a so called Fighting or Combat gun, it is more for personal self defense and it does well for what it was designed and made for. I am sure that there may be some good broken in Keltec PF9's that may do well in a 3 day 1500 round fighting course with the correct person using it. As someone else might have mentioned, 1/2 of it is the person shooting the gun the other 1/2 is the gun. Again all this is just my honest opinion. God Bless
    I'm unconvinced on the difference between fighting and personal self-defense guns. I am willing and able to do my half, but I haven't been able to get the PF9 to hold together long enough to find anything it does well. Wakantanka nici un.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm unconvinced on the difference between fighting and personal self-defense guns. I am willing and able to do my half, but I haven't been able to get the PF9 to hold together long enough to find anything it does well. Wakantanka nici un.

Unfortunately even if the Keltec PF9 can hold up and works fine during a 1500 round class, by the time you get to about 250 rounds your hand would be very tired from the recoil. So the gun may be performing its part, but the shooter may not be up to par at that point. God Bless

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Unfortunately even if the Keltec PF9 can hold up and works fine during a 1500 round class, by the time you get to about 250 rounds your hand would be very tired from the recoil. So the gun may be performing its part, but the shooter may not be up to par at that point. God Bless
    Points upon which we both agree.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

i am around 1300. i had one ftf in the first 50 rounds or so, never had it happen again.

i have experienced a stovepipe twice, both on mag dumps. not sure how to feel about that.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

I've had three gen 4 9mm Glocks. All have ran great with no problems. I did get one to the forehead on the first mag on my newest 19 but never after that. I've seen a gen 3 gun that constantly threw them backwarfs but this was fixed with thr installation of a gen 4 ejector.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Ok, guys, I'm asking this of a gunsmith/trainer to see what his take is on the gen 4 as it now exists.

The question is, what about this relatively new issue of brass to the face, even with the newer gen 4s? The problem is, that this brass to the face doesn't show up until around the 1000-2000 round mark. It seems not to be a widespread thing, but how can a guy know? Let's say he has 500 rounds through his gen 4 and intends to carry it as a SD gun. It seems like every shot he makes in practice is taking him closer and closer to the 1000-2000 round threshold.
    I’m going to be in that situation soon since I plan on carrying my Gen 4 G17 (currently my only centerfire handgun) when I am able to get my carry permit. A couple more months and I should have the cash needed.

I’ll pass along my experience with my Gen 4 G17. It has the 30274 ejector, and the 042 RSA. It was bought, brand new, 5/21/12 (don’t know how long it was ‘on the shelf’). To date I have only 444 rounds through it. Mostly Federal 115 gr. FMJ, some WWB 115 gr. FMJ and some Speer Lawman 115 gr. TMJ. One case (in the first 132 rounds) ejected straight back.

Any other malfunctions have been operator error. I had a least 3 times when the slide did not stay open on the last round. Turns out my strong hand thumb placement was the problem. On another range outing, I let a friend (fairly new to shooting) shoot my G17 and he had some FTF’s and FTE’s…I believe it was from his grip/limp wristing. His dad had no malfunctions. Another guy had one jam in one mag of shooting…I'm guessing grip/limp wristing also. I shot a few mags that same outing and had no malfunctions.

My next time out shooting I'll be starting to shoot 147 gr. FMJ's and HP's.

VIP Member
    Tangle,

I was one to have early Gen 4 issues with a G17, but now I have a G17,G26,G23,G19 that are all 4th Gen and they run like tops!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Tangle,

I was one to have early Gen 4 issues with a G17, but now I have a G17,G26,G23,G19 that are all 4th Gen and they run like tops!
    I remember the 'nightmare' - as I recall, you had such a bad experience you were ready to be done with Glock altogether - and rightly so.

I'm glad you gave Glock another try and glad to hear the Glocks are now working like Glocks should.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I remember the 'nightmare' - as I recall, you had such a bad experience you were ready to be done with Glock altogether - and rightly so.

I'm glad you gave Glock another try and glad to hear the Glocks are now working like Glocks should.
    Yes I was so darn irritated because my expectation levels are perfection with regards to reliability. I am to the point now in which I will only buy Gen 4 if getting a Glock as they are the best Gen so far.

What? A problem with the "you'll never need to call customer service" Glock? No way.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhcmlc View Post
    What? A problem with the "you'll never need to call customer service" Glock? No way.
    Brave statement from a guy with a Kimber and a PX4 in his signature!

I just received a new RSA for my Gen 4 G17 today. I have recently noticed more brass to the face, so I called and was offered a new replacement for mine. Went to the range tonight and only had one round flip straight back, and that was a reload I was testing with a relatively light load. Otherwise, the gun shot flawlessly.

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    I own 6 Glocks, all Gen 3's except for my Gen 4 G23 - NO problems with any of them.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

So were there problems with other Gen 4 Glock models( 23, 32, etc.)? Will be on the search for a gen 4 23 or 32 as a Christmas gift(to myself).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links