Glock 17 or 19

Glock 17 or 19

This is a discussion on Glock 17 or 19 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I realize that I probably will not carry a G17 for CC but I would like to know whether I would notice the accuracy difference ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Glock 17 or 19

Glock 17 or 19

I realize that I probably will not carry a G17 for CC but I would like to know whether I would notice the accuracy difference between a G17 and a G19 Glock. I currently own a Kahr CM9 that I am lucky if I can hit a target with. I quit carrying for now because I would have better luck throwing it in self defence than firing it. In comparison, I have a medium size .22 that I can hit the target with. I wish now that I would have started out with the Kahr larger CW9.

Thanks,
    Steve

I currently own a Kahr CM9 that I am lucky if I can hit a target with. I quit carrying for now because I would have better luck throwing it in self defence than firing it.
    Either your Kahr is defective (assuming you're practicing at close range) or you need additional training for gun handling and accurate shooting. Have you had any handgun training? Are you shooting alone or is an experienced gun handler watching you? Before spending more money on more guns, I'd first identify what's exactly the problem.

Good luck.

VIP Member
    The difference between the two would be negligible. It sounds as though you would benefit more from some basic handgun training. The subcompact pistols that are so easy to carry can be some of the more difficult ones to learn to shoot with.

My recommendation to any new shooter is to learn the basics with a full sized handgun first. Once those skills are mastered, applying them to a smaller firearm can be attempted.

Have you had any type of firearms training?
    DRM, miller_man and nerdyvirgin like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by Shardy53 View Post
    I realize that I probably will not carry a G17 for CC but I would like to know whether I would notice the accuracy difference between a G17 and a G19 Glock. I currently own a Kahr CM9 that I am lucky if I can hit a target with. I quit carrying for now because I would have better luck throwing it in self defence than firing it. In comparison, I have a medium size .22 that I can hit the target with. I wish now that I would have started out with the Kahr larger CW9.

Thanks,
    Steve
    no offense intended, but if you can't hit with a CM9, you won't be able to tell which Glock is more accurate.
    I find the CM9 to be a very accurate little pistol.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    The Glock 19 is often considered the best pistol out there. Big enough to shoot well and small enough to conceal pretty easily. I personally prefer the compact models. I carry a Glock 23 as a duty gun because I shoot it better than I do the 22. The balance is just better and more natural for me.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I have not had any training except watching videos on Youtube and reading articles on handeling a pistol. I tried not to shoot in front of anyone untill I got better at it. I did learn rather quickly, not to wrap my thumb around the back of the pistol though. That really hurts after a few rounds. I guess training will be trhe key.

Thanks,
    Steve

VIP Member
    Steve,

Do yourself a huge favor. Look around your area and find either a range that offers training or a professional trainer that offers basic handgun training. Books and videos are no substitute for quality, hands-on training.

Accurate shooting is easy to learn with instruction, observation and feed back from a competent trainer.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

RoadRunner71 sums it up nicely...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Steve,

Do yourself a huge favor. Look around your area and find either a range that offers training or a professional trainer that offers basic handgun training. Books and videos are no substitute for quality, hands-on training.

Accurate shooting is easy to learn with instruction, observation and feed back from a competent trainer.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Too right!!!!
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I actually shoot my Glock 26 subcompact better than either my EDC Glock 19 or my Glock 17. Go figure.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Glock 17 or 19
    I realize that I probably will not carry a G17 for CC but I would like to know whether I would notice the accuracy difference between a G17 and a G19 Glock.
    I own and shoot both the G17 and the G19, both of them Gen 3s. Both are as accurate as I am capable of making them.
    I happen to like the full size grip and the slightly longer sight radius of the G17 better than the G19 and as a result I probably shoot better with it. The G19 conceals better for carry however and gets the most use for that purpose. You just can't lose with either of these guns.

VIP Member
    I edc both/either a 19 and/or a 17, and like them both just fine. If I were to do it over, I would have set up a 19 instead of the 17 featured in my avatar, simply because 19s are a bit easier to conceal with my physique. I am quite happy with my current set-up, but may opt for a grip chop on the 17 at some point.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

A G17's probably going to offer you a bit greater accuracy, presuming you respond well to heavier, longer pistols as compared to their more-compact counterparts. Like many, I'm a bit more accurate with the larger gun.

But the G19's awfully sweet. It's grip angle is great, points naturally, has very good ergonomics. If it fits you, I'd say that would be first choice, between the two (G19, G17).

Up to you, though. Whatever you're prepared to use/carry often enough to matter.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

In reference to the Kahr, if you "stage" the trigger like you would on revolver it makes it MUCH easier to shoot accurately at least it did for me. As in take up the slack in the trigger until right before it feels like it is going to fire. Then smoothly pull the rest of the way through.

I ultimately got rid of my CM9, and opted for something in single action only.

I instruct a lot of people that are self taught shooters, I admire the drive to learn but gosh some scare me!
    The cm9 is in my rotation of carry guns normally a back up to a 1911 its a accurate and nice gun.
    On that note I vote glock 19 all around great pistol and more accurate than most of us can shoot it.

But do yourself a favor NRA instructor.org find an instructor in your area its worth the cost and will get you on track!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links