Fun Factor on the Range - .45 ACP vs. 9mm

This is a discussion on Fun Factor on the Range - .45 ACP vs. 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the past couple of weeks I've purchased two new .45s, a Taurus PT-145 and a Springfield Armory Milspec 1911 (stainless). I also own a ...

In the past couple of weeks I've purchased two new .45s, a Taurus PT-145 and a Springfield Armory Milspec 1911 (stainless). I also own a Kahr CW9 and a CZ 40-P.

Since I made these recent purchases, my 9mm just doesn't seem that fun to shoot anymore. Despite the price advantage of 9mm ammo, I much prefer to shoot the .45s and my CZ at the range.

I'm wondering if I picked up a different 9mm - a CZ 75, Beretta 92 or 87 or a Sig - if I will enjoy shooting 9mms as much as the larger calibers. With 9mm ammo approx. 50% less than the larger calibers, I would prefer to primarily shoot a 9mm.

Does anyone else think the same way?
    • Beretta 92 fs
    • Beretta 8000 Cougar
    • Bushmaster M4
    • CZ P-01
    • Kahr CW9
    • Kel-Tec P3-AT
    • Sig 239
    • Smith & Wesson M&P 9c
    • Smith & Wesson 646 .357 mag
    • Springfield Milspec 1911
    • Springfield XD-9
    • Taurus PT-145
    • Walther P22

i enjoy a 45 way more than a 9mm only thing i enjoy as much for plinking is 38 sp

You may have been infected with the "Big Boom".

I love shooting my .22's and 38/357 Ruger Blackhawk, but when I get the Taurus .40 or the Springer .45's in hand, I could care less about the others.

I have shot several 9mm's, and they just can't compare to my big guns.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    I think you're just still in NEW GUN Heaven, LOL.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

JD
    Administrator
    I have a few different theories on this, it really depends on why your going to the range.

1st off, I will always shoot at least 100 rounds through my carry gun on a range trip. Even if I'm sighting in a new rifle the Kimbers will get thier play. If you carry the .45 shoot the .45, if you carry the 9mm or the .40 shoot them.

Once at the range a guy asked me why I shot my .45 so much, the answer to that of course is if you plan on carrying it you better be able to shoot it and shoot it well, practice with what you'll be carrying when you need it.

2nd. If it's a nice day and the range isn't busy you can shoot all day with a .22 or a 9mm or .38 (Bud is definatley right on that, I love shooting a nice .357 revolver loaded with .38s and not beating the heck out of my hands)

3rd. Usually when I go to shoot (as long as I'm not paying hourly) I'll bring almost everything I have, and shoot a little of each.

Nothing wrong with loking the big boom, as far as will another 9mm make you want to shoot it more....you'll never know till you get another 9mm, what are you waiting for?

For me its more of a platform thing, than caliber. Sigs, 1911s, and my Ruger MK II are my favorites to shoot. I like the 9mm Sigs just as much as the 40s and 45. Might get to shoot a Sig 226 DAK 357 Sig this weekend. So we'll see how it compares.

If it ignites powder I enjoy shooting it.

Quote Originally Posted by gotammo View Post
    If it ignites powder I enjoy shooting it.
    Bingo! 22LR, 32, 38, 9, 40, 12gauge or 308 it is all good.

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

My take on it is this:

There are several reasons to go to the range (at least for me).
    1. Practice - honing your skills for competition or defense.
    You'll want as much practice on your carry piece as possible.
    2. Fun - Sport shooting
    Shooting for fun is certainly in the eye of the beholder as each person defines their own enjoyment. Some people find enjoyment in sitting patiently behind a rifle looking through a scope and putting a full clip through the same hole. Others like the big "BOOM". Each holds it's own satisfaction. 9mm is perfect for rapid fire shooting. It isn't much use for defense, but it is very fun! (at least for me). It is a rush to rip off 15 rounds in about 3 of 4 seconds (I really need to get one of those sound activated timers!) and have a nice 5" group in a target 10 meters away. The 9mm is perfect for this type of shooting. It is easy to blast through 300 rounds in about 15 or 20 minutes though. The 9mm cartridge is a suitable defensive round as well, so you could also find yourself practicing with it.

As to whether you'll find enjoyment in the 9mm again? I really can't say. It depends so much on the individual shooter. As AKsrule pointed out, your probably still in the "fondling the new gun" stage though. Perhaps getting a different platform? Have you thought about a Beretta Cx4 Storm? The last time I was at the gun store, they were in the $600 price range.

Got to agree with gotammo and MNBurl - It's all good!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Another 45

I am thinking that you could probably trade the Kahr and the CZ in for a nice Springfield XD45. That would alleviate your problem completely! Loading for one caliber is cheaper than loading for two, three, four... well you get the picture. Welcome to the wonderful world of the 45ACP. Still King after nearly 100 years! Just wanted to keep you on the straight and narrow!

I have the same problem only its 7.62x39 vs all other pistol calibers...
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

...we are NOT a free people.

Links