Commiting to a platform - Page 2

Commiting to a platform

This is a discussion on Commiting to a platform within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't have any qualms about going back and forth between a DA/SA and a striker fired gun. I can pick up just about anything, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Commiting to a platform

CJM
    I don't have any qualms about going back and forth between a DA/SA and a striker fired gun. I can pick up just about anything, Hi Point included, and get good COM hits on target at defensive distances.

I had this delima a while ago as well. Have a nice collection but was never great with any platform except the 1911 style handguns.

I found out that you just have to put in some range time with what you want to carry. So now I'm comfortable with Glocks 23 & 26, 1911's and snub .38's to an extent.

I'm okay with my full size .40 HK USP

Still trying to get better sig my Sig P220. I know they are accurate pistols. But just cant shoot them as well as the others mentioned above.

From reading your original post. It sounds like you would really like stick with the Glock platform. I'd try to put in some more time with the G26 and see how it goes. But that's just me, you need to find what works best for you.
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK"

I like different platforms..... But when it comes to actual concealed carry, I stay with one format so to speak and subscribe to the KISS principle. To those ends, it is the revolver.

Heaven knows, mental moments happen especially under stress. Murphy's Law.

But that is my decision as to what is best for me.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I, have, in the past, practiced the 24/7-one-platform concept. It does have merit, especially for those with limited opportunities to train with multiple platforms while giving each platform due diligence. I have, since, largely softened my hard line on this. Importantly, however, my weapons all point well for me. I do not own any handguns that have different "natural" pointing characteristics in my hands. This is NOT the same thing as grip angle; my G17 points as well for me as a 1911, P229, or Ruger/S&W revolver.

Also, my only handgun with a manual safety lever is a 1911. When my hand touches a 1911, conditioned reflex takes over, and I do not forget to manipulate the safety lever as needed. I will not introduce any pistol into my carry ensemble with a differing safety, such as the slide-mounted levers that work in the opposite direction, such as found on Beretta 92/96 pistols, and 1st-3rd-Gen S&W pistols.

I will also not introduce a pistol with a manual safety into the mix, that mimics the feel of a DA pistol. I found that a Browning Hi-Power, upon the draw, would NOT instantly be recognized as such, and I would tend to lock my thumb down, as if shooting a DA weapon, and not reflexively remember to manipulate the thumb safety. I could have, probably, trained to ALWAYS wipe my thumb to reliably feel for a safety lever, regardless of the weapon, but it was simpler to relegate the BHP to fun-gun range use.

FWIW, I started handgunning with a 1911, so the thumb safety dates back to my formative days. Within two years, I made a serious commitment to really, really learn the DA revolver, as I had to start my policin' career with a 4" .357 sixgun, fired DA only. (There was no requirement that the weapon be rendered DAO, just that I only shoot DA on the street.) To this day, I perform best with either SA-only, or long-stroke DAO. I can perform well enough with something like a Glock, and have trained to a high level with DA/SA autos, but these latter two platforms require much more concentration and training on my part.

This works for me.
    deputy125 likes this.

I have a wide range of handguns and all different calibers as well. I've been lucky enough to be able to spend enough time 'bonding' with them all, so no matter what I carry, soon as my hand touches it memory kicks right in and I become one with it.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I prefer to keep it to one platform. I only carry Glocks in 9mm with the same sites and controls. Just simpler that way. I also make it a point to carry them in the same position to ensure that I am comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    My opinion and my opinion only is having or sticking with a DAO trigger semi-auto. Once you have mastered that trigger you will be good with any other trigger configuration that you pick up weather it be a revolver or semi-auto. God Bless

Can you please explain that further?
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I think the concern about using different platforms is greatly exaggerated and over played.

But you are a professional used to performing under stress.

Most of us are not and alot of people IMO downplay their reactions under stress. I have had to act under life and death situations as a park ranger and just life in general and have seen first hand how it affects me (& others) mentally and physically (but guns were not involved).
    Fortune favors the bold.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I am committed to DAO, no thumb safeties, and a mag release in the traditional (for the USA) location. Just point and pull the trigger, and the trigger feels the same for every shot.

Beyond that, I can tolerate differences.
    OldVet likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

So I didnt really understand the significance of focusing just on one platform (not one gun, one 'platform') until I got involved in mounted shooting and SA revolvers. And I dont mean same caliber either. It can be different caliber, just same platform.

My carry gun is a striker-fired fs 9mm M&P. The 2 guns are worlds apart and yet I must train *intensively* on both...one for self-defense and one for competition. I spend much of the crummy winter weather indoors training with my 9mm. I focus mostly in spring/summer on the revolvers.

We train to become 'automatic' with our carry guns so that we can rely on muscle memory. In the dark, under stress, with gloves on, when there isnt enough time to achieve the 'perfect' stance, when we have to struggle for control over the weapon, etc.

But most of all it is stress and that adreneline dump that WILL affect you. It will, and you need to train to deal with that too. In those situations, *IMO* having guns that 'drive' differently is a liability. With/without safety, trigger sensitivity, hammer back? yes no? We train to make the performance on each of those mechanisms automatic. How can you be automatic with a variety? Each thing you have to 'think' about slows your reaction time down.

I'm sure that professionals and people that *intensively train* with multiple weapons and UNDER high stress conditions have a better chance of success with multiple platforms.

But my experience in handling 2 very different types of weapons has shown me that it is VERY easy to react incorrectly. Just handling the revolvers knowing there is "never" live ammo in them....you have to watch yourself every minute to NEVER take treat them casually. At shoots, you see people handle these guns like they are toys all the time.

*I* can not ever allow myself to do that. It may sound easy but it requires conscious discipline to do so. At shoots and at home. The triggers are super light when the hammer is back. The slightest bump on horseback reminds me how easy it is to hit a trigger accidentally....I am happy to stick with striker-fired (more like DA) and a heavier trigger for SD. I *know* I will never have trouble with squeezing that trigger correctly under stress. I dont need it lighter. But I would hate to have it go the other way.

The guns run differently and I use the SA revolvers under high stress conditions. I use the striker-fired under moderate stress during IDPA training (timing, people watching, moving, etc)

When you truly develop muscle memory with one firearm...dont you have to use more of your cognitive functions to alter that behavior?

Anyway, I could go into more ways that the differences are accentuated for *me* but nobody would probably read it and most would just think 'it's me'. So be it. Maybe you're right.

I now carry my EDC with the safety on and if/when I get my next EDC it will run exactly the same. I hope to get an M&P Shield.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Since you are familiar with and like the 3913 except for the DA/SA transition, go find a 3953. It's the same gun in DAO. That's what I did. You can even lighten the DA trigger pull by replacing the factory hammer spring (20#) with a Wolff 17# spring. Theoretically, you could end up with light strikes, but I've done this to several guns (3953, 6906, 6946, 5903) and have never experienced a problem.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMare View Post
    So I didnt really understand the significance of focusing just on one platform (not one gun, one 'platform') until I got involved in mounted shooting and SA revolvers. And I dont mean same caliber either. It can be different caliber, just same platform.

My carry gun is a striker-fired fs 9mm M&P. The 2 guns are worlds apart and yet I must train *intensively* on both...one for self-defense and one for competition. I spend much of the crummy winter weather indoors training with my 9mm. I focus mostly in spring/summer on the revolvers.

We train to become 'automatic' with our carry guns so that we can rely on muscle memory. In the dark, under stress, with gloves on, when there isnt enough time to achieve the 'perfect' stance, when we have to struggle for control over the weapon, etc.

But most of all it is stress and that adreneline dump that WILL affect you. It will, and you need to train to deal with that too. In those situations, *IMO* having guns that 'drive' differently is a liability. With/without safety, trigger sensitivity, hammer back? yes no? We train to make the performance on each of those mechanisms automatic. How can you be automatic with a variety? Each thing you have to 'think' about slows your reaction time down.

I'm sure that professionals and people that *intensively train* with multiple weapons and UNDER high stress conditions have a better chance of success with multiple platforms.

But my experience in handling 2 very different types of weapons has shown me that it is VERY easy to react incorrectly. Just handling the revolvers knowing there is "never" live ammo in them....you have to watch yourself every minute to NEVER take treat them casually. At shoots, you see people handle these guns like they are toys all the time.

*I* can not ever allow myself to do that. It may sound easy but it requires conscious discipline to do so. At shoots and at home. The triggers are super light when the hammer is back. The slightest bump on horseback reminds me how easy it is to hit a trigger accidentally....I am happy to stick with striker-fired (more like DA) and a heavier trigger for SD. I *know* I will never have trouble with squeezing that trigger correctly under stress. I dont need it lighter. But I would hate to have it go the other way.

The guns run differently and I use the SA revolvers under high stress conditions. I use the striker-fired under moderate stress during IDPA training (timing, people watching, moving, etc)

When you truly develop muscle memory with one firearm...dont you have to use more of your cognitive functions to alter that behavior?

Anyway, I could go into more ways that the differences are accentuated for *me* but nobody would probably read it and most would just think 'it's me'. So be it. Maybe you're right.

I now carry my EDC with the safety on and if/when I get my next EDC it will run exactly the same. I hope to get an M&P Shield.
    I don't believe anyone here was factoring in SA revolvers into the equation, since 99.999999999999999999999% of the people out there with CCW permits don't carry them.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I'm in this camp.

I've had a lot of very different guns and still do, and carry different ones at different times. I never seem to have any issue going from one to another. To me, using only one gun for all purposes is like playing golf using only one club. I have a whole sack full of clubs, many of them very different. I hit them all well and use different ones for different situations. Same with guns.
    I never could do worth a hoot with a driver, but then irons weren't a lot better, and putters . . . well, I'd never win a Putt-Putt contest, either. I guess you could say I used those equally as well, or as badly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I've tried everything out there over the years and settled on 1911s (or variants with the same manual of arms - duty gun is a FNP45T) and S&W DAO revolvers (BUG is a j frame, field gun is a 327NG). I'm very comfortable with these and don't have any issues with transitioning from one to the other. I have lots of experience with a large variety of guns and shoot well with pretty much anything but these two "platforms" feel best in my hands and point very naturally for me. I like all the controls and the feel of the guns being the same whether I'm shooting a .22 or a .50AE or something in between. You can have a lot of variety while staying with one general type of gun if you choose right.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    I don't believe anyone here was factoring in SA revolvers into the equation, since 99.999999999999999999999% of the people out there with CCW permits don't carry them.
    The experience still translates, IMO. One gun with a safety, one without, one safety you flip UP with your thumb, one you flip DOWN. Difference mag release points. Carrying condition. Trigger sensitivity.

The point about muscle memory and extra use of cognitive functions under stress still stands I think.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links