Commiting to a platform

This is a discussion on Commiting to a platform within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was talking to a friend the other day and I was telling him I am tired of flip flopping platforms and I want to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Commiting to a platform

Commiting to a platform

I was talking to a friend the other day and I was telling him I am tired of flip flopping platforms and I want to pick one and really train. I am going in a few days and we are going to do some range work to help me find where I should place my focus. The guns I will be taking are a 642, 3" Model 13 k frame, Glock 19 and a S&W 3913.
    3913 - Slim, accurate, and having owned the longest amount of time Im familar with it. The only downside I find is the transition from DA to SA.
    642 - easy to carry in any position and all the time. I feel if I can put shots on target then 5 will be enough. I dont worry so much dominate hand at self defense distance but weak hand and at more utility distance my accuracy falls off.
    13 - again there is capacity but Im confident I can place rounds on target. Guns only had 100 rounds through it and I cant bring myself to put it in kydex.I am a little hesitant to carry this gun only because its too nice and I worry about working a blued gun. This one is a top contender.
    Glock 19 - Accuracy, capacity and I have the most holsters and mags etc to accomadate. The only thing I dont like about the 19 is I wish the barrel was shorter for AIWB because it presses against a nerve in my leg but so does the 3913.

I have owned a 26 and for some reason I always let it go. I for some reason convince myself that I shoot my 19 better and "there isnt that much difference" between the two. However with the 19 pressing against my nerve causing pain that maybe there is difference. Also the height difference makes a 26 dissapear in deep cover such as a smartcarry or belly band as well as only under a t shirt. I am wondering if I should commit to training with the 26. If there will be times that I carry my 642 instead of my 19 maybe it would make since to have and train with a 26. I like the 19 and will carry it I just know there are times like during the work week that I cant swing it. With a 26 I have 10 in stock mag and 15-17 in a spare mag. Instead of 5 in gun and 5-10 on speed strips. Dont get me wrong none of these guns are going any where. I just think its time to pick my poison and stick with it. Size, capacity, round count etc. its hard to beat Im just trying to decide it a 26 is it.

The deciding factor is going to be if I run the revolver or the semi better in defense drills.
    We will see

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I would go the the 3" K frame.

A few years ago, I stuck with carrying my snubnose revolver all of the time, because it was the easiest for me to carry and therefore became the one that I was most likely to carry. I know train with it as my primary every range session. I would gladly trade up for a 3" K frame.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    I carry a Glock 9mm at all times.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I own quite a few guns, but for EDC, its always a Glock 9mm or .357SIG.

Glock 19/26 or
    Glock 32/33

I don't believe that its a good idea to change platforms for carry as under stress you will resort to the your training level....and I have the most trigger time with my Glocks.
    Toorop likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Senior Moderator
    I agree with zonker, that's why I don't switch platforms that much anymore and carry mostly revolvers.

It will really decide which you can shoot the best and carry the most comfortabley
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

That will be the final deciding factor. I will go Monday and run both platform and make a decision from there

VIP Member
    When you're talking about platforms you don't have to limit yourself to one gun. In this case you're looking at S&W revolvers- both of which could be considered the same platform, a 3rd generation Smith auto, and a Glock. With the Glock you could include just about any Glock out there and still be working the same gun for the most part. I'd stick with the 19 and pick up a 26. You have the best of everything at that point and the way the two guns work is exactly the same.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

My opinion and my opinion only is having or sticking with a DAO trigger semi-auto. Once you have mastered that trigger you will be good with any other trigger configuration that you pick up weather it be a revolver or semi-auto. God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    That will be the final deciding factor. I will go Monday and run both platform and make a decision from there
    That's thew way to go. And when you have decided which one you like best, stick with it and train with it as much as you can.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I really don't have an issue with the DA/SA trigger that some apparently do. But then I enjoy both a revolver and a semiauto and don't have problems going from one to the other.
    BugDude and Kilowatt3 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I think the concern about using different platforms is greatly exaggerated and over played.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

own as many "platforms" as you'd like...just put in the work to be proficient with all of them.

I mainly carry glocks because they are reliable, simple, and ugly. I don't care if one of them gets beat up, sweated on, etc, and to be honest, the glocks don't seem to care either. However, I do have a sig p220 SAS that I like to carry as well. The sig of course is a completely different routine, but I've put the time in to learn both so that my brain isn't thinking about how to operate either platform....same for the j-frame revolver. The j-frame honestly gave me more trouble than the other two platforms because of the trigger pull weight vs gun weight ratio which had my accuracy at a lower level than I like to be at. However, a thousand rounds (actually around 1100), and the j-frame and I get along fine.

If you only have the time and assets to work with one platform, then by all means, stick to it and master it. If you want to venture into other things, reserve the newer (to you) platforms for practice sessions until you feel you've reached a good level of proficiency with them. Only carry what you trust / trust yourself with.

You say that the Glock 19 digs into your leg; what holster are you using?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

High noon mr softy currently. I have tried others and maybe if I found a more narrow holster it would be better. I wear t shirts a lot and have found a holster that let's the grip touch my belt hides the best. I know it may slow my draw but it's s compromise

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I really don't have an issue with the DA/SA trigger that some apparently do. But then I enjoy both a revolver and a semiauto and don't have problems going from one to the other.
    I'm in this camp.

I've had a lot of very different guns and still do, and carry different ones at different times. I never seem to have any issue going from one to another. To me, using only one gun for all purposes is like playing golf using only one club. I have a whole sack full of clubs, many of them very different. I hit them all well and use different ones for different situations. Same with guns.
    WHEC724, glockman10mm and OldVet like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links