Trigger Upgrade on S & W Airweight

This is a discussion on Trigger Upgrade on S & W Airweight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thought I'd share my recent experience installing a tactical trigger kit from Apex on my S&W model 637. As many of you know, the trigger ...

Thread: Trigger Upgrade on S & W Airweight

Trigger Upgrade on S & W Airweight

Thought I'd share my recent experience installing a tactical trigger kit from Apex on my S&W model 637. As many of you know, the trigger pull on this gun in stock form is a pretty long, hard one. It's not necessarily bad, but I thought I'd give the Apex kit a try. On-line videos make installation pretty easy, and no special tools are needed. Apex says it takes the pull from a stock 13 lbs. down to about 9 lbs. After doing the installation and firing the gun, I'd say that estimate is about spot on. The gun still operates like a double action revolver; there's no mistake about that. But the trigger pull is much easier and more comfortable. I occasionally shoot this J-frame in competition, and sometimes, by the end of the day, the tip of my trigger finger would be raw. I don't see that happening now.

As I recall, the cost of the kit was about $20 to $25; shipping was fast. I'd say it's a good upgrade for the money.

2. Remove Ads

I am looking at getting a j frame to go with my k frame. I put a wilson combat spring kit in it. I may go the apex kit when I get the j frame. Thanks for your post. Please post an update after you shoot with it. Try different brands and let us know if there are any light hits. I believe federal primers are said to be soft where s&b and cci are rumored to be harder. Thanks and stay safe.

That's interesting, thanks for posting the review. I installed an Apex sear and Ultimate Striker Block in my M&P 9. It made an incredible difference in my gun, both reducing and smoothing the trigger pull, and the difference shows on the targets. It's good to know their J frame kit also performs well, as I'm thinking of picking up another snub. If I do, I'll certainly look into that kit.
    NRA Life Member

+1 for the Apex kit. I put one in my 642 about a year ago and have never looked back. The difference is very noticeable. Several friends with newer guns can't believe the improvement it makes. No light strikes and I have probably over 300 rounds through mine since installing the Apex kit. It is the best money you can spend on a j frame if you intend to shoot it very much.

Ordering mine now.....

The below link is to purchase the kit and the links to the disassemble/assemble videos.
    https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid49.html
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Thanks for the review, I have not used an Apex kit but have used a Wolf kit on a Model 19 snubby. Which springs does the Apex kit replace; the Wolf kit replaces the recoil slide spring kit for a much improved trigger pull with no effect on hammer strike.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Which springs does the Apex kit replace; the Wolf kit replaces the recoil slide spring kit for a much improved trigger pull with no effect on hammer strike.
    The kit contains a new Rebound Slide Spring, Main Spring and an Apex XP Firing Pin kit.
    https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid49.html
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Looks like all the questions have already been answered. For the record, I have shot a couple of different kinds of ammo through the gun since the upgrade (Blazer and PMC, IIRC) with no problems.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Thank you for the review. The trigger pull is my main complaint with the airweights as it always seemed a little bit too much. Knowing that there are inexpensive options to correct this, makes me more inclined to consider them.

I put a Wolf shooters pack in my 442 several years ago and it turned it into a great shooter. It consist of a variety of spring sets (main or hammer spring and a trigger return spring) where you can take the overall pull to either 8, 9, or 10 pounds. I went with the two that made it a 9 pound pull and I've shot it over 1,000 times since then and never a problem. Smooth as warm butter.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

How it the trigger return with the APEX?

I tried a spring change with Wolff on the 642 and just did not care for it as the trigger return did not feel right. While a Lighter pull is appreciated, I also like a positive re-set.

Quote Originally Posted by MPA249 View Post
    I am looking at getting a j frame to go with my k frame. I put a wilson combat spring kit in it. I may go the apex kit when I get the j frame. Thanks for your post. Please post an update after you shoot with it. Try different brands and let us know if there are any light hits. I believe federal primers are said to be soft where s&b and cci are rumored to be harder. Thanks and stay safe.
    Not sure about the S&B, but Federals are definitely softer than CCI. Federal is my preferred primer for handloading.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by deputy125 View Post
    How it the trigger return with the APEX?

I tried a spring change with Wolff on the 642 and just did not care for it as the trigger return did not feel right. While a Lighter pull is appreciated, I also like a positive re-set.
    I noticed no difference in the return, but I am not really attentive in this area. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Links