P238 recoil spring updated?

This is a discussion on P238 recoil spring updated? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I own an early Sig P238 and am told that Sig has updated the new ones to a flat spring as opposed to the round ...

Thread: P238 recoil spring updated?

P238 recoil spring updated?

I own an early Sig P238 and am told that Sig has updated the new ones to a flat spring as opposed to the round spring the early ones shipped with.

Those who have a newer one....can you confirm that? Thanks
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

2. Remove Ads

True.
    "The problem with trusting quotes on the internet is they're so hard to authenticate." - Benjamin Franklin

Yes, I have a newer p238 and it has one of the flat recoil springs while my mother's(which was bought long before mine) has an older round recoil spring. I'd give Sig a call and see if they'll send you a new one for free. I've also noticed that my p238's slide is slightly wider than my mother's. I read somewhere that Sig was having trouble with the HD(all stainless) model and they had to beef up the slide. Once they did that, the old round recoil spring just wasn't cutting it so they had to upgrade it too. Now I believe that all models come with the beefed up slide and flat recoil spring.
    Sig p238, RIA 5" 1911 tactical

Makes sense since the 938's have the flat spring. In addition, hopefully the 238 and 938 share the same slide width so they can share holsters. The 938 holster selection is very slim.

I bought mine August of 2011 and I remember the guy at the Cabela's where I purchased it told me all P238s now came with a new spring and a slightly wider slide. He said no Sigs were returned by customers after this modification. I guess Sig got it right.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

JD
    Administrator
    Yep, call Sig and they will send you one.

You may want to go ahead and buy the set of 6 replacement springs that Sig sells on their website for $12. Recommended recoil spring replacement for the P238 is every 1,500 rounds, which doesn't take long if you shoot 1 or 2 boxes of ammo each time you go to the range.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Confirmed- Sig will send you one. There have also been several magazine revisions, if you have any FTF or extraction issues you may want to investigate that.

Distinguished Member
    yep.. double confirmed :)
    I've bought 3 P238's and one of them had the old spring. I call Sig and got as far as telling them I had a old spring in the P238 I just bought and they simply asked for a mailing address. A few days later the new spring arrived in the mail.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Links