Defensive Carry banner

Making your own gun?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Pythius 
#1 ·
I've been big on designing cars and other things (just drawing and drafting, haven't actually built any) for fun and I recently decided to start drafting a gun design. I'm sure most of us have seen the shows where shops build customs for people.

Have any of you actually designed and/or built your own handgun from scratch? Anybody know the legality of it (far as registering,etc.)?

If so, please post any pictures you have or what the process was like. This is something I'm really interested in doing.
-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.

#2 ·
I've got a couple of 1911's that my dad built. Of course he started further ahead than with just a block of steel and milling equipment. As someone posted a few months ago, if you want a $1000 gun, spend $1500 and build it yourself. That was his experience on the first one. Still, I may give it a go someday. I bet pulling the trigger that first time is a gripper.

If its on your bucket list, do it.

#3 ·
Ive built a couple, usually from parts of other guns. I live in CA and they has a lot of gun laws, But they really haven't many laws about building a gun.
As long as it
looks like a gun
meets the min size requirements
and is built by you, its mostly legal.

Without a license you cant build them to sell. But you can build them for yourself.
Of course you will need to check your own local gun laws before you start. good luck DR

#4 ·
There is no federal law that prevent one from building whatever they want, as long it does not venture into the NFA realm.

You cannot build one for the express purpose of re selling it. You can sell it after a period of time. Although not required, its a good idea to put an identifying number on it.

I have built several .50 BMG's, just because I could.

#5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I don't have the necessary equipment just yet but definitely will eventually. For some reason, this is something I'd really like to get into.

Also, what's NFA?

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.

#9 ·
very interesting video...which brings up a technical question for me.

I know that the bolt in my rifle has a spring, which withdraws the fired bullet & pushes a nwly extracted bullet forward. but once its pushed forward, is there another spring that releases the firing pin?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.