Making your own gun?

Making your own gun?

This is a discussion on Making your own gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been big on designing cars and other things (just drawing and drafting, haven't actually built any) for fun and I recently decided to start ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Arborigine

Thread: Making your own gun?

Making your own gun?

I've been big on designing cars and other things (just drawing and drafting, haven't actually built any) for fun and I recently decided to start drafting a gun design. I'm sure most of us have seen the shows where shops build customs for people.

Have any of you actually designed and/or built your own handgun from scratch? Anybody know the legality of it (far as registering,etc.)?

If so, please post any pictures you have or what the process was like. This is something I'm really interested in doing.
    -- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    I've got a couple of 1911's that my dad built. Of course he started further ahead than with just a block of steel and milling equipment. As someone posted a few months ago, if you want a $1000 gun, spend $1500 and build it yourself. That was his experience on the first one. Still, I may give it a go someday. I bet pulling the trigger that first time is a gripper.

If its on your bucket list, do it.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Ive built a couple, usually from parts of other guns. I live in CA and they has a lot of gun laws, But they really haven't many laws about building a gun.
    As long as it
    looks like a gun
    meets the min size requirements
    and is built by you, its mostly legal.

Without a license you cant build them to sell. But you can build them for yourself.
    Of course you will need to check your own local gun laws before you start. good luck DR

Senior Moderator
    There is no federal law that prevent one from building whatever they want, as long it does not venture into the NFA realm.

You cannot build one for the express purpose of re selling it. You can sell it after a period of time. Although not required, its a good idea to put an identifying number on it.

I have built several .50 BMG's, just because I could.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the responses. I don't have the necessary equipment just yet but definitely will eventually. For some reason, this is something I'd really like to get into.

Also, what's NFA?

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Senior Moderator
    National Firearms Act.

Thats the law that covers silencers,short barrelled rifles, sawed off shotgun and Any Other Weapons(AOW).

Most people think that stuff is illegal but in most states it isnt...you just have to pay a 200 tax to the Feds to own them.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I keep thinking about how many Judges they sell, and look over at an inert 20 MM shell. Someday,,,the Lahti Derringer
    lowercase likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Here's one of the better built garage guns. Some are also built using airgun triggers or paint ball triggers.

Homemade .22 Pistol - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Here's one of the better built garage guns. Some are also built using airgun triggers or paint ball triggers.

Homemade .22 Pistol - YouTube
    very interesting video...which brings up a technical question for me.

I know that the bolt in my rifle has a spring, which withdraws the fired bullet & pushes a nwly extracted bullet forward. but once its pushed forward, is there another spring that releases the firing pin?

Senior Moderator
    Yes. The firing pin is held in tension, releasing the trigger releases the sear that holds the spring back, it lets the firing pin slam forward with enough force to set the primer off.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Yes. The firing pin is held in tension, releasing the trigger releases the sear that holds the spring back, it lets the firing pin slam forward with enough force to set the primer off.
    yep, i just looked at the schematic of my gun and indeed saw the spring for the firing pin. :)

Links