A question about Tomcat sight

This is a discussion on A question about Tomcat sight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently picked out my first semi-auto pistol, a Beretta Tomcat Inox. I am absolutely delighted with it! It is so much fun to shoot. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: A question about Tomcat sight

  1. #1
    Member Array Julie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    53

    A question about Tomcat sight

    I recently picked out my first semi-auto pistol, a Beretta Tomcat Inox. I am absolutely delighted with it!


    It is so much fun to shoot. I love the fact that it has DA/SA. I love the pop up barrel. Some of the guns I tried, I couldn't even rack the slide. It seems that this Tomcat was made just for me! The first time shooting it, I used about 300 rounds, and did pretty well.

    I had a question for all the gunsmiths here. I want to do something different with the sight. Right now, it is all silver, and doesn't stand out much. I checked out the Beretta website, and couldn't find much info there, but is there a way to get those dot sights installed on this? Or the one dot and one line type that my husband has on his Kahr K9? I just wanted something bright and easy to see. What are my options?
    Thanks!

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,233
    look into the XS Big dot sights, they just might be the thing your looking for. And unfortuanately, I don't know any good smiths on the moon, so finding someone to install them is up to you...

  4. #3
    Senior Member Array purple88yj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Posts
    1,100
    Short of painting the sight with some enamel in a color that you can easily pick up (visually), there isn't much you can do with those sights.

    You may find that on the smaller guns, such as yours, you won't use the sights much at all. It is a really close in weapon, and at the ranges you would normally shoot that at, you probably wont even see the sights.

    My little AMT has sights that are worse than some snubbie revolvers. It is a channel cut into the steel slide with a little notch cut in the rear and a post cut into the front. Really useless buggers.

  5. #4
    VIP Member Array Bud White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Away - Health Problems
    Posts
    17,353
    you stuck with that front sight unless you paint it try different color fingernail polish outlandish works well i have a 18 year old neice so i can try all them wild colors out

  6. #5
    Member Array Julie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    look into the XS Big dot sights, they just might be the thing your looking for. And unfortuanately, I don't know any good smiths on the moon, so finding someone to install them is up to you...

    Thanks, I will look into the XS Big dot sights. There are a few good smiths here "on the moon"

    Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj
    You may find that on the smaller guns, such as yours, you won't use the sights much at all. It is a really close in weapon, and at the ranges you would normally shoot that at, you probably wont even see the sights.
    It's just that I plan on practicing a lot with this gun, and it would be much more fun to be more accurate. I would like to be able to get nice, tight groupings on my target even at 45 feet.

    I was really hoping I wouldn't have to use nail polish on it.....

  7. #6
    Senior Member Array purple88yj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Posts
    1,100
    Fourty five feet is quite a ways for a little .32 as it is for my .380.

    Not saying that it can't be done, but remember that has a really short barrel, and accuracy won't be great...adequate, but not great.

    Your choice of ammo will play into this a great deal as well.

    As I mentioned in another post about defensive accuracy vs. target accuracy, they are two entirely different things.

    Defensive shooting is shot placement and volume of fire. Accuracy (target) shooting is trying to get shot two as close to shot one as possible.

    By the way, very nice weapon you have there. Enjoy shooting it, and shoot it a lot. I do have a bit of envy there...just so you know.

  8. #7
    VIP Member
    Array dr_cmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    10,808
    Besides nail polish there is paint made for sights. We had a thread about it here a week or so ago. I have used just a white sight paint on the front sights of my Makarovs. Without the paint they are practically invisible, but just the white sight paint makes such a contrast with the dark surface around it I can pick up the front sight very easily.

    The thread about the paint from a week or so ago talked about I believe green and orange colors. The rear sights being green and the front orange. This combination seems to make it very easy to pick up the sights and to get a good sight picture.
    George

    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

  9. #8
    Member Array dnm_85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    36
    Unfortunately, the website (http://www.xssights.com/store/handgun.html#order) doesn't list XS Big Dot sights as being available, and probably won't be as the front sight is not removeable on the Tomcat.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

  10. #9
    VIP Member Array SammyIamToday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,087
    What is it with women and the Tomcat? I had a Tomcat for about 3 hours before it was commandeered by my fiance. I haven't gotten to shoot it since then.

  11. #10
    Member Array Julie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    What is it with women and the Tomcat? I had a Tomcat for about 3 hours before it was commandeered by my fiance. I haven't gotten to shoot it since then.
    I guess your fiance knows a good catch when she sees one.


    It's not just women though, my husband, dad, and the guy at the gun shop all seemed to really like the Tomcat too. Maybe it's time to get yourself another one?




    Quote Originally Posted by dnm_85
    Unfortunately, the website (http://www.xssights.com/store/handgun.html#order) doesn't list XS Big Dot sights as being available, and probably won't be as the front sight is not removeable on the Tomcat.
    Thanks for the website and the info. So, it looks like I will be doing the paint job after all.


    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    Besides nail polish there is paint made for sights. We had a thread about it here a week or so ago. I have used just a white sight paint on the front sights of my Makarovs. Without the paint they are practically invisible, but just the white sight paint makes such a contrast with the dark surface around it I can pick up the front sight very easily.

    The thread about the paint from a week or so ago talked about I believe green and orange colors. The rear sights being green and the front orange. This combination seems to make it very easy to pick up the sights and to get a good sight picture.
    Thanks dr. cmg- Do you have a link to that thread you mention? Sounds like you are really happy with the way the paint job worked out on your Marakovs. Just wondering, is this something professional gunsmiths do, or am I expected to do the paintjob myself? I guess I just want it done correctly, and I'm not too good at painting


    Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj
    Fourty five feet is quite a ways for a little .32 as it is for my .380.

    Not saying that it can't be done, but remember that has a really short barrel, and accuracy won't be great...adequate, but not great.

    By the way, very nice weapon you have there. Enjoy shooting it, and shoot it a lot. I do have a bit of envy there...just so you know
    Thanks purple. The first time I shot this, I did a drill from 45 feet, and was very happy with the results. I think the fact that I was shooting it SA with a very light trigger pull helped a lot. The thing I noticed was that the sight was the color of dungeon gray, and if I could just brighten it up, I would be able to get better accuracy. But other than the sight color, I love this little gun. It's so cooool!

  12. #11
    VIP Member Array Bud White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Away - Health Problems
    Posts
    17,353
    just paint them up you self its easy as it is such a small piece

  13. #12
    VIP Member Array Rob72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    OK
    Posts
    3,468
    Hunh???
    http://www.xssights.com/store/catalog.pdf
    XS Dot, shown on the Tomcat, page 2, of the catalogue. Julie, if you're really interested, you might call Beretta, I thought they offered the XS package from the factory. It is a custom install, but not a big deal- the rear is drift in, IIRC, but will require a dovetail cut in the front. If this is you all-the-time carry gun, and you're practicing aimed shots, I would strongly recommend the Standard-sized dot. Given the short sight radius, and the size of the Big Dot, you'd really have to have it together to make a head shot at 45 feet, if you needed to. Across the room is a point-n-shoot deal, beyond that you need something to help pull your focus in. I shoot Seecamps, so yes, I'm familiar with the concepts.

    If it's 100% reliable, and your primary, it would be worth the $$, to me......

  14. #13
    VIP Member
    Array dr_cmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    10,808
    Julie, the thread on the sight paint is:

    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ighlight=paint

    You do the painting yourself. I am not much of a painter either, but was able to put on the small amount required for the Mak sight with no trouble.

    I'm glad you are liking your Tomcat, that is the next pistol purchase my wife intends to make. After buying and trying several other pistols she has decided the Tomcat will be the pistol she has on her person all the time. Working in an office with pretty strict dress rules sort of limits what she can wear so she keeps the SIG P239 in her Coronado purse, but wants something small enough to keep at hand. The likes the tilt barrel, the SA/DA trigger, and the safety as well. She can rack the slide on the SIG, but sometimes it is hard for her. She can fire the first round double action, but has trouble pulling a double action trigger more than a couple of times so the SA trigger after the first round is real important to her.
    George

    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

  15. #14
    VIP Member Array SammyIamToday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Julie, the thread on the sight paint is:

    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ighlight=paint

    You do the painting yourself. I am not much of a painter either, but was able to put on the small amount required for the Mak sight with no trouble.

    I'm glad you are liking your Tomcat, that is the next pistol purchase my wife intends to make. After buying and trying several other pistols she has decided the Tomcat will be the pistol she has on her person all the time. Working in an office with pretty strict dress rules sort of limits what she can wear so she keeps the SIG P239 in her Coronado purse, but wants something small enough to keep at hand. The likes the tilt barrel, the SA/DA trigger, and the safety as well. She can rack the slide on the SIG, but sometimes it is hard for her. She can fire the first round double action, but has trouble pulling a double action trigger more than a couple of times so the SA trigger after the first round is real important to her.
    You can carry the Tomcat "cocked and locked" if she doesn't care for the DA trigger pull. That's what my lady does with her stolen one.

  16. #15
    Member Array talon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    84
    Okay everyone I got a question, can't you put some laser grips on it ? To heck with sites. by the way beretta makes a great pistol. my favorite carry is a little beretta that has never failed to fire or feed no matter how badly i have treated it as of late.
    The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Sight question
    By Bowdenknxvll in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 3rd, 2010, 10:08 PM
  2. Sig Sight Question
    By Holdcard in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 15th, 2010, 08:59 AM
  3. Front sight question
    By j21blackjack in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: January 2nd, 2010, 09:35 PM
  4. New Sight question
    By wine6978 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 14th, 2009, 07:53 PM
  5. Sight question
    By Argus in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 3rd, 2008, 05:22 PM

Search tags for this page

beretta .380 pop up barrel
,
beretta tomcat inox laser sight
,

beretta tomcat sights

,
beretta tomcat xs big dot
,
inox tomcat laser
,

laser sight for beretta tomcat

,

laser sights for beretta tomcat

,
sights for beretta tomcat
,
small handgun popup barrel
,
tom cat gun
,

tomcat sights

,

xs sights beretta tomcat

Click on a term to search for related topics.