Ruger LCP?

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Carry mine all the time in a DeSantis Superfly. But if you have big hands do yourself a favor and get one of these to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ruger LCP?

Carry mine all the time in a DeSantis Superfly. But if you have big hands do yourself a favor and get one of these to go with it:

Ruger LCP .380 : Hogue Inc., The Best Value In Handgun Grips, Rifle Stocks and Accessories - Bar None!

For me it made a world of difference in control and comfort when firing. The only issue I had was first round feed problems when using HP's. Since I switched to a different HP no problems whatsoever.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    Have it. Love it. Get it. Now.
    right to the point... i like it. I have a few bucks lying around, i will have to make a decision. thanks. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    right to the point... i like it. I have a few bucks lying around, i will have to make a decision. thanks. bunker
    It is a smart choice if you are looking for a small, reliable pistol that does not break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I'm guessing that the OP wants to limit the amount of weight on his ankle. The LCP is only 12 oz, loaded.

That said, while I have two LCPs (and my wife one other) I would NOT use it for ankle carry. The reason is that the back of the slide is open (for the hammer) and that opening can allow junk into the gun when worn on the ankle. You would need to be meticulous about keeping it clean.

If you do not want to use one of your revolvers for that role, I would recommend a striker fired pistol, since the action is better sealed from the gunk that ankle carried guns are exposed to.

Better yet - can you carry your BUG in an off-side pocket instead?
    Very good advice. I carry an airlite Smith in the ankle with a hammer (Alesi or Uncle Mikes) The LCP as BUG goes in my weakside back pocket in a Desantis holster. If I'm wearing cargos, it can go in the front pocket.
    I've never had a jam or misfeed. I'm not terribly impressed with accuracy but I didn't purchase it with any delusions of hitting a target beyond 10 feet. Both my Smiths (hammer and hammerless) can hit a pretty good group at 50 feet. Cheaper to practice with as well.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    Very good advice. I carry an airlite Smith in the ankle with a hammer (Alesi or Uncle Mikes) The LCP as BUG goes in my weakside back pocket in a Desantis holster. If I'm wearing cargos, it can go in the front pocket.
    I've never had a jam or misfeed. I'm not terribly impressed with accuracy but I didn't purchase it with any delusions of hitting a target beyond 10 feet. Both my Smiths (hammer and hammerless) can hit a pretty good group at 50 feet. Cheaper to practice with as well.

Jim
    It seems the 380 and 38 special ammo is close to the same price.. roughly $18/box around here. I never shot the kel tec (clone to the LCP, or should i say LCP cloned from it) very well, but i am thinking with the laser, especially at night, i might feel more comfortable with accuracy. I dont want to carry anything i cannot shoot well. I cannot carry at work, and with it getting dark at 5pm soon, most of my carry time will be in the dark.
    "6 P's of self defense "

I like my LCP. It's great for the purpose it was designed for - ultra compact easy carry.

A couple of weeks ago at the range, another guy had the Taurus TCP. It's trigger pull was significantly lighter and shorter than my LCP. It made the gun easy to shoot, but I'm not sure it's a good feature for a pocket carry (with holster) gun. My biggest problem with his TCP was a couple of misfires. At first I thought it may have been bad ammo. But he said that his previous and this TCP both do the same thing - striker fails to fire off the primer. You have to re-rack the slide just far enough to reset the trigger without ejecting the (seemingly dud) round. Then pull the trigger again. Second time was a charm. Out of about 20 shots, this happened to me twice. NO THANKS! I'll stick with my RELIABLE LCP.

The CT laser is an excellent addition to the LCP (or any gun for that matter). With the rudimentary sights, the laser really does help. Note that I personally do not care for the other lasers out there for the gun - they require you to press a button to turn the laser on, while the CT laser turns on by simply gripping the gun normally.

As far as accuracy goes - I have no issue emptying several magazines into one ragged hole at 7-10 yards with the LCP. Firing quickly seems to give better results than trying to go slow with it. The finger extension on the magazine also helps to keep the little bugger from jumping around in your hand too much.

Bottom line is that the gun is plenty accurate.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I don't carry the LCP but I shot it for my concealed carry testing (long story) and I'd rather figure out a way to carry something with less trigger pull and better sights. I have a S&W BG that I used to carry when wearing gym shorts, etc. It's so much easier to get and stay on target with my M&P9C that I figured a better way to carry the 9 instead of the BG. Your mileage may vary.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I have one, but I have not carried much, actually once in over 2 years. For me is a gun of absolute last resort. I don't get ready of it mainly because it is so small, and it is reliable, so there might be chance however ultra small that it might be the only gun I can carry one day.. like maybe during a bicycle ride, or something like that. I start from the top trying to carry the biggest gun I can confortable carry with no printing. I start with the Beretta px4c, or Glock 19, if too big I take the Glock 26, which I think is the perfect gun. As I said only once I had to go smaller than the Glock 26.

I am considering the new XDS, but we'll see.

To answer your question, it is reliable.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Can anyone post a pic of side by side comparison of the LCP and the Kel Tec PF9???
    Here you go..,

PF-9 vs LCP

P3AT vs LCP

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    The CT laser is an excellent addition to the LCP (or any gun for that matter). With the rudimentary sights, the laser really does help. Note that I personally do not care for the other lasers out there for the gun - they require you to press a button to turn the laser on, while the CT laser turns on by simply gripping the gun normally.
    - Same here. For me, when it comes to lasers, it's Crimson Trace or nothing.

I have an LCP and it's a very reliable and well made gun. It's very accurate with a laser, but it takes lots of practice. The trigger is heavy and long. Not the best combination for accuracy.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    I have one, but I have not carried much, actually once in over 2 years. For me is a gun of absolute last resort. I don't get ready of it mainly because it is so small, and it is reliable, so there might be chance however ultra small that it might be the only gun I can carry one day.. like maybe during a bicycle ride, or something like that. I start from the top trying to carry the biggest gun I can confortable carry with no printing. I start with the Beretta px4c, or Glock 19, if too big I take the Glock 26, which I think is the perfect gun. As I said only once I had to go smaller than the Glock 26.

I am considering the new XDS, but we'll see.

To answer your question, it is reliable.
    I used to have the same sort of thinking, and tried to carry the biggest gun i felt comfortable with. Over the years, i have adopted the opposite carry methods... carry the lighest, most comfortable gun that i can find... hence the snubs... but something for ankle carry is something i would like to have the option with, and i think a small pistol over a revolver is the right choice for me.
    "6 P's of self defense "

Quote Originally Posted by Jesters Dead View Post
    Here you go..,

PF-9 vs LCP

P3AT vs LCP

Awesome!! could you do the same with the S&W bodyguard and the LCP? thanks in advance. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I have an LCP and it's been reliable as gravity. I don't like shooting it much, but I have over 500 trouble free rounds through it. I've not gone unarmed when I wanted to be armed since I bought it.

I much prefer the P238. It's the best of the pocket .380's IMO, but it is just enough bigger than the LCP that there are times when the LCP gets the nod.

I am going to buy an XDs when they settle down a little. I want the .45 version. I think 6 rounds of .45 is better than 7 rounds of 9mm but not better than 11 rounds of 9mm (Glock 26). I'll carry the XDs when I can't hide the G26.

Truth be told, the XDs, with it's crisp short reset trigger is the skinny gun Glock should have built if the company wasn't in an apparent turmoil due to internal politics.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Sometimes I feel like the only person in the world without a LCP.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links