Ruger LCP?

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I once had a Kel Tec P3AT, but it i could not trust it... just had too many problems. Now that cold months and long ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ruger LCP?

Question Ruger LCP?

I once had a Kel Tec P3AT, but it i could not trust it... just had too many problems. Now that cold months and long pants are back, i am wishing i had a small ankle BUG. I have many Smith J frames, but find a smaller pistol thats lays flat against my ankle is more comfortable than a revolver for back up ankle carry.

The LCP has been around for quite awhile. Does anyone have any long term usage with them, and are people still carrying them? How about the laser? I see that Buds is selling them with the laser for only $50 more... one thing with the kel tec was that i was horribly inaccurate with it at any distances greater than 10 feet or so.

I was also tossing around the idea of the Bersa conceal carry 380 for ankle BUG, but it weighs in more than the Ruger. I also looked at the Sig P238, but think they are a little more than i wanted to spend, even though they are a great gun.

ANy suggestions? thanks. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

2. Remove Ads

I've had mine for about a year and a half. I'm sure you'll get more qualified answers, but, for what it's worth... from a girl...

I love mine. It's not a fun range gun, but that's not what I got it for. I've never had a single issue with jamming, ejecting, etc. I never looked into the Bersa, but light and tiny was what I needed and I'm glad I got the LCP - hasn't let me down yet

ETA: I lost count a while back, but if I were to estimate, I'd say I have at least 1,000 rounds through it. Also, mine does NOT have a laser, so I can't speak to that part. As far as the P238, I thought it was beautiful, but the LCP was smaller and more streamlined (and cheaper...), so that's what I got. After shooting the P239 recently, though, I'm glad I didn't get the P238. I just don't think I'm a sig person.
    rigel42 and TonyDTrigger like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lyz_grace View Post
    I've had mine for about a year and a half. I'm sure you'll get more qualified answers, but, for what it's worth... from a girl...

I love mine. It's not a fun range gun, but that's not what I got it for. I've never had a single issue with jamming, ejecting, etc. I never looked into the Bersa, but light and tiny was what I needed and I'm glad I got the LCP - hasn't let me down yet

ETA: Also, mine does NOT have a laser, so I can't speak to that part. As far as the P238, I thought it was beautiful, but the LCP was smaller and more streamlined (and cheaper...), so that's what I got. After shooting the P239 recently, though, I'm glad I didn't get the P238. I just don't think I'm a sig person.
    Hey now, i like suggestions from everyone!! thanks for your input. I agree with the price point... for amost half the cost of the Sig, its hard to justify.... that means i could get another gun with the money i would save . BTW, anyone who has a pic of them firing an AK in their avatar is OK in my books
    lyz_grace likes this.
    "6 P's of self defense "

why an LCP when you can easily carry a Keltec P11, Keltec PF-9, Kahr CM9, Kahr CM40, Diamondback DB9 as easily in an ankle holster?
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I much prefer my Taurus TCP 738, last round slide lock back and much better shooting gun for me, not to mention you can pick one up for $199 brand new.

In short:
    Better trigger pull
    Better shootability
    Last round slide lock back
    It's a .380, so it is what it is

I can't speak for the lcp but I do have a LC9 with a laser and I do like the laser.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    why an LCP when you can easily carry a Keltec P11, Keltec PF-9, Kahr CM9, Kahr CM40, Diamondback DB9 as easily in an ankle holster?
    I'm guessing that the OP wants to limit the amount of weight on his ankle. The LCP is only 12 oz, loaded.

That said, while I have two LCPs (and my wife one other) I would NOT use it for ankle carry. The reason is that the back of the slide is open (for the hammer) and that opening can allow junk into the gun when worn on the ankle. You would need to be meticulous about keeping it clean.

If you do not want to use one of your revolvers for that role, I would recommend a striker fired pistol, since the action is better sealed from the gunk that ankle carried guns are exposed to.

Better yet - can you carry your BUG in an off-side pocket instead?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I'd suggest you take a look at a Walther PPS in 9mm, or an HK P2000 SK while you're shopping. Good luck.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

I've owned 3 LCP's and still own two. Never had a single problem with any of them. I don't believe there is any gun as reliable as the LCP that carries as easily. Loaded, it's not much different than carrying a wallet. Of course, some wallets are heavier than others.

I was hoping for lightweight. I do carry a bug, its usually another 5 shot snub, but in the winter time, i like getting one off of my hip/pocket, and getting one down on the leg. I would try the PF9, but i am hesitant about kel tec after getting such a lemon last time.

Can anyone post a pic of side by side comparison of the LCP and the Kel Tec PF9???
    "6 P's of self defense "

I traded my S&W M637 for my LCP almost a year ago. I carry it either in a wallet holster in the back pocket of my jeans, in a DeSantis Nemesis in work pants or the inside pocket of my Carhartt jackets and vest, or in a Remora AIWB. Best sub $300 investment I've done

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I love mine, reliable and great for easy carry. I have no problem accuracy-wise with mine, 3, 7, 10, and 15 yards are well within it's capabilities. I understand Zonkers comment about the small 9mm's, but they are all a bit heavier, and it is noticeable.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Can anyone post a pic of side by side comparison of the LCP and the Kel Tec PF9???
    How's this?

I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

I have an LCP and carry it all the time, sometimes together with my S&W 642.

I run Hornady Critical Defense in mine, and it has been rock solid.

Great little BUG.

Have it. Love it. Get it. Now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links