Making a smith 940.

This is a discussion on Making a smith 940. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just thinking of getting a 640 pro and buying a 9mm cylinder so I have two calibers. I can carry it as back ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Making a smith 940.

Making a smith 940.

I was just thinking of getting a 640 pro and buying a 9mm cylinder so I have two calibers. I can carry it as back up to my glock using 9mm ammo or my Smith Model 19 with 38 spl +P if I want. Could it be that easy? If not a pro then a 640 with a new springs, cylinder smithed to take full moon clips (80.00) and a trijicon front sight (80.00). Ideas?

2. Remove Ads

Why bother? Seems lot a lot of work and expense (cylinders generally need to be fitted) for a questionable advantage.
    glockman10mm and msgt/ret like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The 640 Pro uses a j magnum frame, a 940 cylinder won't work. Also, it's almost impossible to find 940 cylinders these days. Numrich had some a few years ago but sold out of them a long time ago. Pretty much your only option would be to have a 640 cylinder rechambered, check Pinnacle-Guns.com: Pinnacle High Performance Custom Gunsmithing. Mark did a 360J for me a few years ago, I've been very happy with it.
    Never forget. Never forgive.

My son had a conversion done to limit the number of calibers he has to have on hand for his go to guns. Loves it!

Links