Are lasers worth it?

This is a discussion on Are lasers worth it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is just my not so humble opinion so don't get your shorts in a knot if you don't agree. Try aiming around a corner ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Are lasers worth it?

This is just my not so humble opinion so don't get your shorts in a knot if you don't agree. Try aiming around a corner with your left hand only, right hand holding a light up high, and tell me that a laser wouldn't be handy. I don't know what circumstance for a fire fight I might end up in but anything that might help is great. If I use two hands straight in front of me, draw aim fire, then I don't use a laser as primary either. Moving sideways with non-optimum single hand firing 'the hole still goes where the red spot is'. I practice with empty guns in the shop. Draw, aim fire and the band saw is dead or the router or the knob on the door. With each of my carry guns the point part is instinct now and refine with the dot or fixed sights (whichever is available) is secondary. If you have trouble with the dot, just like fixed sights, you haven't practiced enough. Note: if you enter a fair fight, your tactics suck and that applies to lasers too.
    Tayopo likes this.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

2. Remove Ads

As strange as it may be, I find myself using the red dot and not co-indexing the iron sights. It is a good aid to train with and to get off a fast first shot - or perhaps impress someone not to continue aggression but I find I am more accurate with the old iron, Perhaps I just need more trigger time to be sure which is better. It certainly helps in low light situation where the iron sights are not easily visable.

I believe everyone should become proficient wiithout the use of lasers. I do not feel however there is any detriment to having one available other than holster issues or excessive printing. Some of the benefits of a laser are: 1) a great training tool 2) good in low light situations 3)intimidation factor 4) weak hand shooting (cross eye dominent) 5) awkward shooting (aiming) positions.

Oh....Did I forget to meantion playing with the dog? Unloaded of course.

I took an advanced handgun class in 2008. Half of the training was low light.

At the time I had neither night sights or a laser on my carry gun. Just plain old black Warren's.

Know what? Those of us with just plain black sights were hitting our targets just as well as (and sometimes better) than those with N/S or lasers. In fact, I was amazed at the small size of some of my groups.

It's often a software problem, not hardware.
    glockman10mm likes this.

The one thing I noticed when I rented guns at the range the other night. I was shooting a 442 without a laser then immediatly went and got a 442 with a laser. Without the laser the gun needs to be in front of your face to aim restricting your field of view. With the laser both eyes can be open and the gun can be lower giving you a much better field of view. I liked the laser much better.

I have a Crimson Trace Laser on a S&W 60-1 Chiefs Special .38 Cal. I'm sure that anyone who owns one will attest to the fact that the iron sights on these weapons are hard to see even in broad daylight. I will admit that at my age I have a hard time getting a good sight picture with the iron sights.

I love it on this particular weapon.

However, I have several weapons and my EDC is a Glock30. I would never put a Crimson Laser on it.

MJK
    Lasers are great and definitely offer some advantages though it may be difficult to pick up that red dot in a dynamic lethal force encounter. I will stay with XS night sights on my Glocks for carry purposes and a mag tube-mounted Surefire on my Benelli M4 for HD.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Yes, lasers are great. In my opinion,Crimson Trace is the way to go.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

A dot is a dot, whether projected, floating, or painted on the front sight.
    I find no advantage after considering the pros and cons of each.
    The TFO sights offer the best of both worlds for me, and don't need batteries.
    mg27 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    A dot is a dot, whether projected, floating, or painted on the front sight.
    I find no advantage after considering the pros and cons of each.
    The TFO sights offer the best of both worlds for me, and don't need batteries.
    I like the TFOs as well - have them on my G26.

However, the difference is that a laser does not require you to have your eyes lined up behind the sights. That's why lasers are advantageous when firing from unconventional positions, or from behind cover while minimizing your exposure. When I use my laser sight, I find myself looking over the gun at the target, with both eyes open. Without the gun directly in front of my field of view, I have a better peripheral view than I do when using the iron sights.

And as discussed already, lasers have a potential psychological intimidation factor that no other sighting system has.

It's just another tool in the tool kit. You still need to practice point shooting, and shooting with your iron sights.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    My wife has a laser on her Sig P238. I have used it with and without the laser. I will be buying a laser for my EDC. My opinion only, of course.

was interested in lasers until I used one in a low-light, indoor shoot a while back. We were doing a 2-man drill, and after just a few shots were fired, the laser did a great job of lighting up the smoke but not the target. The other problem is that without a lot of practice there is a natural tendency to chase the dot and not the target.

IMO they're a great training aid, but I'm not saving up for one.
    So everyone out there is not over forty years old and has perfect eye sight and does not wear bi-focals. Those are some of the cases where lasers really help. How much gun smoke is there in a defensive shooting scenario?
    lchamp likes this.

Bi-focals...my dad wears them. Shooting a handgun is an exercise in frustration for him, because he cannot focus on the front sight.

When I handed him one of my laser-equipped handguns, his reaction was "This is like cheating!" Which is kind of the point - isn't it?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Opinions will vary according to perception and needs.

I have used them, and have been forced to use them on some weapon systems in the past year during SRT training. They do have the advantage of not needing the weapon brought to eye level, that I freely admit.

But then again, in the past, and even now currently, a part of the course of fire requires shooting from the hip, and from the ready, below the line of sight.
    I have found that with some practice, this is a fairly simple matter.

The laser can certainly shorten the learning period, and make things easier.
    But I still prefer the simple and sure way for my uses.
    Tayopo likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

i prefer tac lights. more useful, and in the situation where a laser is useful, (low light) a tac light will do the same thing. (the bullet goes in the center of the light)

My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links