Are lasers worth it?

This is a discussion on Are lasers worth it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by kb2wji In my humble opinion, no. If you want to have a little fun plinking, sure. On a defensive pistol, no. Opinions ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Are lasers worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    In my humble opinion, no. If you want to have a little fun plinking, sure. On a defensive pistol, no.

Opinions will certainly vary, but I find it much easier to aquire a target with a good grip, good stance, and a front sight. In my experience, finding that little red dot on a moving target isnt easy. Especially if that target is wearing darker colors. I think you are better off pointing to a target and using a front sight. If a threat is far enough away where you feel you need a dot, it might not be as big of a threat as you think.

Just one man's opinion
    Disagreed. When I put a red dot one someone's center of mass, it usually takes the fight right out of em. Target acquisition is tough under pressure, not at all like being on the range, good stance? Not much time for that either. If it gives me one iota of advantage, I'll take it. Just my opinion.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty View Post
    i prefer tac lights. more useful, and in the situation where a laser is useful, (low light) a tac light will do the same thing. (the bullet goes in the center of the light)
    - A tactical light is really only useful at night. Not to mention that it adds much more bulk to the gun than a laser would.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Lasers worth it................? Given that I don't wear glasses while I sleep and at my age couldn't see irons or night sights clearly in any case. Duh, of course.

Ask yourself a question. If you were up against someone at night in a defensive situation, would you prefer that they have iron sights, night sights or a laser on their weapon?

dont waste your money on the red go green its better and brighter good during the day goes to infinity at night

Quote Originally Posted by Springer99 View Post
    Lasers worth it................? Given that I don't wear glasses while I sleep and at my age couldn't see irons or night sights clearly in any case. Duh, of course.

Ask yourself a question. If you were up against someone at night in a defensive situation, would you prefer that they have iron sights, night sights or a laser on their weapon?
    Doesn't matter if it's dark and have bad eyesight. Can't see them anyway.
    Another thing that we have discovered during training is that at night, you must be able to see and identify the target before you can put any type of sight on it to any effect.

In practical application, darkness or the inability to see, is not the solution that a laser provides. The one and only real advantage is by allowing the tracking or acquisition of a target without bringing the weapon to eye level.

In twilight, or low light levels where the target can be seen, and identified, it is also useful, but, so are good night sights.

Like a WML, the laser is a tool, that used properly and in the proper role can be an asset.
    And like a WML, it can have draw backs.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I have a crimson trace on my Glock 19 along with night sights. I have the laser for awkward grip positions such as if the firearm cannot immediately be in my line of sight for the first two or three shots. After that I will get a normal two handed grip. Prime example I train for is if my daughter and I are out and I have to move her to get her to safety behind me or cover. I have had some people call it the PSD sweep. Which ever I have the laser and night sights as another tool in the tool box that I train with. I have the laser zeroed to six oclock hold at 35 feet so when I aim with iron sights it does not distract me. I am not going for head shots at 75 feet with a laser.
    9MMare likes this.

A lot of good info in this thread. I'll just add my opinion to the training aspect of the laser sight.

The average citizen usually has a job and a family to care for and lots of activities on the horizon.

Range sessions can be infrequent and actual SD training (other than classes possibly required for a CHP) a pipe dream.

Most people want to carry a small, effective SD handgun which due to the size, requires extra effort to learn to shoot well, especially small DAO revolvers. Adding a laser to these small guns gives the ability to practice trigger control and sight placement at home, with the gun unloaded (of course you have to sight the laser in at the range first). Just place the dot on a target across the room and squeeze the trigger. Most folks don't realize how much the point of impact will move when the muzzle moves even a little. Dry firing this way also strengthens the trigger finger and develops the muscle memory to not allow the rest of the hand to move as the trigger finger moves.

Aside from general accuracy , the laser can also help with point shooting. Just point the gun at a target as you would point a finger, activate the laser and see how close the dot is to the target. In a SD situation, point shooting with one hand is very likely.

As others have said, in an actual SD shooting I think the laser offers an edge in certain situations, and is worthwhile . The BIG benefit though, is that from training.

Especially for small revolvers, I would invest in a laser, just for training if nothing else.

JMHO,

Jim
    bunker and Tayopo like this.
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

Let's see here, without a laser I have point and shoot and Iron sights. With a laser I have point and shoot, iron sights and a laser..hhhmmmm. Seems I can use any combination required at the time.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Yes a laser is great for a carry and for a home defense weapon. Why? Well, you can acquire a sight picture faster with iron sights, yes, however, a laser is good for shooting from retention position, in low light, and from onorthodox positions behind cover when you can't get a sight picture with irons.. shooting from the waist, from behind a barricade, etc...

I use a Wlather PPQ with a LaserMax Uni-Green laser, and I absolutely LOVE it.. even with my Trijicon sights on the gun.

Hi souix565....Next time you cruise through a dark parking lot to your car and some punk ass charges you with his stolen handgun (held sideways)......you decide if a laser might be the advantage between life or death....

neverenough

A laser is another tool in your arsenal that may save your bacon. In case everyone hasn't figured it out, not all shootings are that perfect two handed stance you practice at the range. After looking at many, many shooting videos on youtube, etc, a majority of shootings are not two handed and I can't really say sights are even used. Go and look for yourself. Will it help when the time comes? Who knows but it dang sure ain't gonna hurt! Mine have lasers and they will continue to have lasers.
    lchamp and 9MMare like this.

For Mil/LE proactively hunting BG's, the laser is a fantastic tool (especially with NVG).

I'll concede that for the homeowner in certain situations, it is also a great tool.

For the street fight with guns, I'm not convinced.

I have a co-worker who was involved in a defensive shooting a couple of years ago. Walking through a parking lot, his assailant emerged between two cars. He threatened to kill my friend as he was reaching into his pocket.

My co-worker drew first. Ruger LCP, 6 rounds of an unknown HP. All hits.

Here's the thing, though: all this happened at arms length, in the dark, both parties moving. I believe many think there will be more time to act than actually occurs, but it was over in seconds.

He and I have discussed this encounter many times. He doesn't believe a laser or night sights would have been of value.

This is the nature and dynamics of a real fight.
    Tayopo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    This is the nature and dynamics of a real fight.
    That was the nature and dynamics of that particular fight. Every situation will be different.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Love my Crimson Traces. Definitely helps with aquard positions.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    That was the nature and dynamics of that particular fight. Every situation will be different.
    But many will have common traits.

I don't like averages, but stats say (they've been repeated here enough times) that fights occur up close and really quickly with few shots fired. That's why so many say they don't need to 'train' past 7yds.

No, not all happen that way. That's why I train out to 100yds myself.

That' why I believe most fights will be over before the laser can be seen.
    glockman10mm and Tayopo like this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links