Note to self, leave the ATM card when going to a Gunshow!

This is a discussion on Note to self, leave the ATM card when going to a Gunshow! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is the slide finished in Kimpro? I owned an RCP II coated in that stuff and it's very durable. Didn't show near the holster wear ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Note to self, leave the ATM card when going to a Gunshow!

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Is the slide finished in Kimpro? I owned an RCP II coated in that stuff and it's very durable. Didn't show near the holster wear that my CQB Compact did. Keep the Kydex side of your rig debris free and you will be good to go.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Sometimes pistols (especially compact 1911's) need a few hundred rounds of hardball through them to break them in. I was lucky with my Ultra CDP. I haven't had any hiccups with it, even in the beginning. I would say after you get the replacement parts, just shoot it as much as you can until it performs flawlessly, even with defensive ammo, before you count on it as a carry piece.
    I think Kimber recommends 400 rounds as break in period, Im only a third of the way there. Waiting on the springs to get the next 150 rounds through.

Nice pistol! As you can see from my signature line, I'm a Kimber fan. One is on my hip as I type this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Indio,

I have the same gun, and it is my EDC gun. Like you said, it is very accurate, and that bobtail makes it concealable and extremely comfortable for my hands.

When I first shot it, the last round in the magazine would not feed. Didn't matter what type or brand magazine. I called Kimber, and the guy I talked to said to send it back. When I got it back from them, it worked flawlessly. No problems at all after that incident.

I did not know that thing about the metal magazine follower. I use McCormick mags, and all their followers are steel. I will have to look for that wear, and will change to Wilsons if I see it. BTW, how many pounds are the Wolff spring replacements that you got? I always read about replacing the springs with Wolff springs in a 1911, but very seldom is the poundage specified. I know it varies with the type of use, and length of barrel.

Neko

Quote Originally Posted by neko View Post
    Indio,

I have the same gun, and it is my EDC gun. Like you said, it is very accurate, and that bobtail makes it concealable and extremely comfortable for my hands.

When I first shot it, the last round in the magazine would not feed. Didn't matter what type or brand magazine. I called Kimber, and the guy I talked to said to send it back. When I got it back from them, it worked flawlessly. No problems at all after that incident.

I did not know that thing about the metal magazine follower. I use McCormick mags, and all their followers are steel. I will have to look for that wear, and will change to Wilsons if I see it. BTW, how many pounds are the Wolff spring replacements that you got? I always read about replacing the springs with Wolff springs in a 1911, but very seldom is the poundage specified. I know it varies with the type of use, and length of barrel.

Neko
    Hey Neko, check this thread out. You will find links to the spring but it doesnt specify how many pounds.

Super Carry Pro HD Range Report Update & Photos - 1911Forum

Aluminum frames and metal followers:
    McCormick mags and aluminum frames... - 1911Forum

I received the Wilson Combat spring and follower kits(# 19). I replaced them but still I'm waiting on the Wolff recoil spring before I go shoot it again.

I've owned several Kimber's and still have my Pro Raptor and Ultra CDP II. In my experience it's common to have multiple FTE and FTF problems the first few hundred rounds, then like magic, it's fully dependable.

I also changed out the factory springs for Wolf's. For the first time I just installed the 21# extra power springs. Wow, big difference racking the slide compared to the 18# factory.

Every three hundred rounds or so, I'll polish the barrel throat and feed ramp with steel wool and make it slick and shiny. Don't have any scientific evidence if it helps the function of the gun but, keeps me out of the wife's hair a little longer.

Nice 1911 you purchased BTW!
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Beautiful gun, I have the same one. So far so good, I have approximately 600 rounds through it with no FTF issues at all. I bought it to use for my daily carry but I found the trigger to be a bit to sensitive for my comfort level. Great gun, and a fun shooter.

My first 1911 was a Kimber Pro Carry II. To date it's been the most accurate 1911 that I've owned and was 100% reliable out of the box thru 2300 rds. I had to sell it and most of my guns to help pay my wife's medical bills at the time. Since then I have bought a STI Ranger II that is almost as accurate as the Kimber. I just bought a Colt LW Commander 3 weeks ago and it's a close 3rd place for accuracy. I know Kimber has turned out some bad runs of guns but they are not all bad. Someones got to be buying the many thousands that they turnout each year. Enjoy the new gun!!!!
    gunfighter 48
    A 45 may not expand but it will never be smaller than .45!!!
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    That is exactly the gun I want. Been looking for a deal. Pretty pricey for a working guy. Keep us informed on your experience with this beauty. I'm drooling. Gun show this weekend, I'll try to be strong and leave the card at home.

Can't see the photo in the original post of the thread. What am I doing wrong. I registered for the forum, so that can't be the problem.

Neko

Quote Originally Posted by neko View Post
    Can't see the photo in the original post of the thread. What am I doing wrong. I registered for the forum, so that can't be the problem.

Neko
    It seems like the original picture is gone. The thing to look for are scratches on or near the ramp created by the metal followers.

I installed the Wolff spring and ran 100 rounds through it without issues. 400 to go and I will be happy to carry it.

I have a gun show this weekend, but other than my credit card I don't want to add more to, I'm broke for another week!

Nice gun. I'm going to have to take the plunge on a higher-end 1911 eventually. Got a couple AR projects swirling around in my head first, though.

Oh, and slide-to-frame fit has virtually no effect on accuracy. Slide-to-barrel is where it's at.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links