Defensive Carry banner

Note to self, leave the ATM card when going to a Gunshow!

4K views 35 replies 26 participants last post by  Jetfuelrm 
#1 ·
Went to a Gunshow today and although I have been very apprehensive about Kimber's issues(as of lately), I just need to make my own opinion and not hate on a product without owning it. I know, this could be a very expensive experiment but just look at her.....how can you not appreciate her curves! lol. Seriously, I intend to start a full review of this gun as soon as I get some rounds down the barel. As for first impressions, fit and finish, the quality seems top notch. The slide to frame is not the tightest but the barel is firm in place with a very little lateral play(very slight). I checked other Kimber models on the table and they felt tighter but I felt totally comfortable buying it as I thought it was acceptable. I will have to wait and see how the finish wears with the holster use. I will be polishing the throat as is not nice and shiny. More to follow.....

Kimber Super Carry Pro

See less See more
#2 ·
Great looking Kimber. I especially like the grips. Is the weight light enough for comfortable carry?

#4 ·
Yeah, I've learned my lesson too. It's why I rarely even go to gunshows anymore!

Anyway, good buy with that Kimber. She's a beauty for sure. As far as slide to frame fit, some of the most accurate 1911s I've shot didn't have super tight slide/frame lockup. Enjoy it.

#5 ·
I replace my Detonics CM and hostered the Kimber as soon as I walked out of the GS. It is very comfortable on a "CrossBreed like" holster. The frame is aluminum so you can notice the difference compared to a regular steel frame.

#10 ·
Sweet!!!

I haven't tried a Kimber (yet), but that sure looks nice!

Regards,
Jim

#11 ·
:wave:wow, another antiquated gun... whats next purchase, a model T? Listen, take my advice, send it to me, and i will take it off your hands for free... no hassles for you this way :image035:

#13 ·
Looked at one at a gun show here, exactly like it this weekend. I had to walk around for 2 hrs after that telling myself.... don't do it, just don't do it, move on .... don't do it, get it out of your mind....

I fought off the demon, this time. Now, you made it worse by reminding me about it.

#14 · (Edited)
I made it to the range and put 150 rounts through it. The recoil is a little harder than other 1911s I own but very manageable. It has an aluminum frame and its very light so that was expected. This gun is extremely accurate and the trigger is pretty good. If I had to guess, I will say its between 4.5/5.5 pounds but very crisp. I had 3 FTFs where the gun just wouldn't go completely into battery. I did some research and replacing the spring for a Wolff spring should fix that issue. I ordered the Wolff spring and also polished the ramp. Another thing to take into account with this model is that you need to use magazines with a poly follower. A metal follower will eventually dig into the aluminum frame. This could be fixed by replacing the magazine spring and follower with a Wilson Combat #19 kit. More to follow after spring is replaced.

The other two rounds were deeper in the barel but not fully in battery.

#15 ·
Sometimes pistols (especially compact 1911's) need a few hundred rounds of hardball through them to break them in. I was lucky with my Ultra CDP. I haven't had any hiccups with it, even in the beginning. I would say after you get the replacement parts, just shoot it as much as you can until it performs flawlessly, even with defensive ammo, before you count on it as a carry piece.

#16 ·
Is the slide finished in Kimpro? I owned an RCP II coated in that stuff and it's very durable. Didn't show near the holster wear that my CQB Compact did. Keep the Kydex side of your rig debris free and you will be good to go.

#19 ·
Indio,

I have the same gun, and it is my EDC gun. Like you said, it is very accurate, and that bobtail makes it concealable and extremely comfortable for my hands.

When I first shot it, the last round in the magazine would not feed. Didn't matter what type or brand magazine. I called Kimber, and the guy I talked to said to send it back. When I got it back from them, it worked flawlessly. No problems at all after that incident.

I did not know that thing about the metal magazine follower. I use McCormick mags, and all their followers are steel. I will have to look for that wear, and will change to Wilsons if I see it. BTW, how many pounds are the Wolff spring replacements that you got? I always read about replacing the springs with Wolff springs in a 1911, but very seldom is the poundage specified. I know it varies with the type of use, and length of barrel.

Neko

#22 ·
I've owned several Kimber's and still have my Pro Raptor and Ultra CDP II. In my experience it's common to have multiple FTE and FTF problems the first few hundred rounds, then like magic, it's fully dependable.

I also changed out the factory springs for Wolf's. For the first time I just installed the 21# extra power springs. Wow, big difference racking the slide compared to the 18# factory.

Every three hundred rounds or so, I'll polish the barrel throat and feed ramp with steel wool and make it slick and shiny. Don't have any scientific evidence if it helps the function of the gun but, keeps me out of the wife's hair a little longer.

Nice 1911 you purchased BTW!

#23 ·
Beautiful gun, I have the same one. So far so good, I have approximately 600 rounds through it with no FTF issues at all. I bought it to use for my daily carry but I found the trigger to be a bit to sensitive for my comfort level. Great gun, and a fun shooter.

#24 ·
My first 1911 was a Kimber Pro Carry II. To date it's been the most accurate 1911 that I've owned and was 100% reliable out of the box thru 2300 rds. I had to sell it and most of my guns to help pay my wife's medical bills at the time. Since then I have bought a STI Ranger II that is almost as accurate as the Kimber. I just bought a Colt LW Commander 3 weeks ago and it's a close 3rd place for accuracy. I know Kimber has turned out some bad runs of guns but they are not all bad. Someones got to be buying the many thousands that they turnout each year. Enjoy the new gun!!!!

#25 ·
That is exactly the gun I want. Been looking for a deal. Pretty pricey for a working guy. Keep us informed on your experience with this beauty. I'm drooling. Gun show this weekend, I'll try to be strong and leave the card at home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.