Note to self, leave the ATM card when going to a Gunshow!

This is a discussion on Note to self, leave the ATM card when going to a Gunshow! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to a Gunshow today and although I have been very apprehensive about Kimber's issues(as of lately), I just need to make my own opinion ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Note to self, leave the ATM card when going to a Gunshow!

Note to self, leave the ATM card when going to a Gunshow!

Went to a Gunshow today and although I have been very apprehensive about Kimber's issues(as of lately), I just need to make my own opinion and not hate on a product without owning it. I know, this could be a very expensive experiment but just look at her.....how can you not appreciate her curves! lol. Seriously, I intend to start a full review of this gun as soon as I get some rounds down the barel. As for first impressions, fit and finish, the quality seems top notch. The slide to frame is not the tightest but the barel is firm in place with a very little lateral play(very slight). I checked other Kimber models on the table and they felt tighter but I felt totally comfortable buying it as I thought it was acceptable. I will have to wait and see how the finish wears with the holster use. I will be polishing the throat as is not nice and shiny. More to follow.....

Kimber Super Carry Pro

2. Remove Ads

Great looking Kimber. I especially like the grips. Is the weight light enough for comfortable carry?
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

I think you will be quite happy with it. One of the most comfortable guns that I have gotten my mitts on. Would love to get a chance to shoot one.
    I think guns are like insurance. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Yeah, I've learned my lesson too. It's why I rarely even go to gunshows anymore!

Anyway, good buy with that Kimber. She's a beauty for sure. As far as slide to frame fit, some of the most accurate 1911s I've shot didn't have super tight slide/frame lockup. Enjoy it.

I replace my Detonics CM and hostered the Kimber as soon as I walked out of the GS. It is very comfortable on a "CrossBreed like" holster. The frame is aluminum so you can notice the difference compared to a regular steel frame.

VIP Member
    Great looking purchase, I am wanting a bobtail 1911 also, enjoy.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Nice looking gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Nice, very nice...

I bought the Kimber ultra carry II but mine dose not have the bobed grip, I wish it did. It shoots great and I love it. Just wish I had got the bobed grip like you did.

Sweet!!!

I haven't tried a Kimber (yet), but that sure looks nice!

Regards,
    Jim

wow, another antiquated gun... whats next purchase, a model T? Listen, take my advice, send it to me, and i will take it off your hands for free... no hassles for you this way
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Nice looking piece!

Looked at one at a gun show here, exactly like it this weekend. I had to walk around for 2 hrs after that telling myself.... don't do it, just don't do it, move on .... don't do it, get it out of your mind....

I fought off the demon, this time. Now, you made it worse by reminding me about it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I made it to the range and put 150 rounts through it. The recoil is a little harder than other 1911s I own but very manageable. It has an aluminum frame and its very light so that was expected. This gun is extremely accurate and the trigger is pretty good. If I had to guess, I will say its between 4.5/5.5 pounds but very crisp. I had 3 FTFs where the gun just wouldn't go completely into battery. I did some research and replacing the spring for a Wolff spring should fix that issue. I ordered the Wolff spring and also polished the ramp. Another thing to take into account with this model is that you need to use magazines with a poly follower. A metal follower will eventually dig into the aluminum frame. This could be fixed by replacing the magazine spring and follower with a Wilson Combat #19 kit. More to follow after spring is replaced.

The other two rounds were deeper in the barel but not fully in battery.
    Last edited by Indio; October 16th, 2012 at 07:40 PM.

Sometimes pistols (especially compact 1911's) need a few hundred rounds of hardball through them to break them in. I was lucky with my Ultra CDP. I haven't had any hiccups with it, even in the beginning. I would say after you get the replacement parts, just shoot it as much as you can until it performs flawlessly, even with defensive ammo, before you count on it as a carry piece.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links