ccw

ccw

This is a discussion on ccw within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i want to know ho carrys a S&W 340 for CCW and do you recoment it or would be better the 640 please help me...

Thread: ccw

ccw

i want to know ho carrys a S&W 340 for CCW and do you recoment it or would be better the 640 please help me

Heavy vs. lightweight

Both the S&W 340 and the 640 are 5 shot .357 magnum guns with snubby barrels. The 340 is scandium and weighs about 12 ounces empty and the 640 is steel and weighs 25 ounces empty. Although the two guns are about the same dimensions, the 340 is lightweight enough for easy pocket carry, while the 640 probably requires belt or shoulder carry to support the weight. The 340 will recoil very hard with .357 magnum ammo, while the 640 will be more comfortable to shoot with that ammo.

I think it comes down to how you plan to carry the gun, and your personal tolerance to recoil. I would personally prefer the heavier 640 and carry it in a belt holster. If you had to shoot the gun in self defense, you could fire the 640 more quickly in multiple shots, because it would not jump as much.

I carry the s&w 340pd scandium about 50% of the time.
    I like the gun a lot and I carry it strong side iwb with 2 speedloaders owb weak side.
    Pros:
    Easily concealed and suitable for pocket carry;
    Powerful in either .38 or .357 (I prefer shooting the .38);
    Well made and accurate enough for ccw;
    Light (12 oz unloaded) - you'll hardly know it's there.
    Reliable;
    Also comfortable carrying this cross-draw while driving.

Cons:
    Price is high - I paid $800 nib. (The msrp is approx. $925).
    This is not a range gun, in that it is not pleasant to shoot in .357. However, I do enjoy shooting it in .38 .

I don't have, nor have I ever shot the .640, so I can't comment on this gun.

I don't regret buying this gun and I enjoy it, but, if I had to do it over again I'd get the s&w 442 http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...04&isFirearm=Y

It's not .357, but .38 special is sufficient for me and it's about 1/2 the price of the 340pd.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Taurus stainless .357 - right about 25 oz.

full house loads are comfortable to shoot.

Have been known to slip it in my pant pocket
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Links